Can you attach a hoop without using lugs?

Yes, if one of the hoops allows you to screw the tension rods from the other hoop directly into it, or if you have rim clips or hoop claws that receive the threading of the tension rods from the other hoop. You can get around the lug nut thing pretty easily.

Or can you attach the head without using the loop at all?

By "loop", I assume you mean "rim" or "hoop"...

Yes, you can tack the head to the drum. That's what they did in the old days with calfskin heads. It's a little harder to do with modern heads, but I'm sure it *could* be done. You could also glue them on. It would be difficult to tune the drum with any of those methods, though...

Yes, if one of the hoops allows you to screw the tension rods from the other hoop directly into it, or if you have rim clips or hoop claws that receive the threading of the tension rods from the other hoop. You can get around the lug nut thing pretty easily.

By "loop", I assume you mean "rim" or "hoop"...

Yes, you can tack the head to the drum. That's what they did in the old days with calfskin heads. It's a little harder to do with modern heads, but I'm sure it *could* be done. You could also glue them on. It would be difficult to tune the drum with any of those methods, though...

Really? I guess I don't know it all then ... ha

Well, I guess, I just wouldn't understand why anyone would want to do so...with the hoop technology being as it is.

Or buy drums made with bridges and no lugs.
285697_10150876332005001_829835000_19839848_8284020_n.jpg

The shells are glued into the bridge to keep them on and there are stainless inserts in the bridge for the tension rods to screw into. The bridge takes all the stress and strain allowing the shell to resonate freely with no holes or lugs to distort the vibrations.

Back