Gear you regret losing

bryanmurr

It christmas time and I know we are all wishing for something new. So I have been reflecting on my past. I know most all of us have sold or lost gear we wish we could get
back. Sometimes its because its worth money now and sometimes its because we just
really liked it but under appreciated it at the time.......so....

What piece of gear do you regret selling/losing the most?

Why did you sell it? Why do you want it back?

I had an American Fender Jazz Bass that i bought in 89 brand new. It was the first instument that i saved and bought with my own money.
I sold it 5 years later because i bought another Jazz bass and wanted to recoup some
of my money.
I would love to have it back because it had a really good feel and a great sound.
Afew years ago i ran into the guy i sold it to and asked if he still had it. But he had sold
it a year or so before

Just wondering if anyone else thinks about there old gear.

Merry Christmas

Yeah i knew someone with a Rhythm Traveler and it was great. You could pack it up in a small Hundai.

I played a gig a couple years ago and all my cymbals disappeared. I didn't realize until months afterward because I was practicing on a different kit than I was gigging with. I went to load my kit up and the cymbal bag, with all my cymbals in it, was gone. I either forgot to grab the cymbals when I packed up after the show (seems unlikely) or someone stole them out of the truck while I was loading up. Not good.

The one I miss the most was a 20" Zildjian A Ping Ride. I'd had that thing for almost 25 years so it was part of "my sound." Still hurts to think about it.

In the late 70's I got my first real set....some silver sparkle Slingerlands that my parents got second hand. I played them at church with the almost green patina Zildjians that came with it. In the mid 80's I was in the Army and just knew I'd never play them again. My parents gave them to a young kid they knew that was gonna take up drumming.

So here I sit.....years later drifting off to sleep every night dreaming of silver sparkle.....dang. Still got the Gene Krupa snare though.

Nothing I sold.

But I do miss a Nobble & Cooley snare that was stolen from me.

And I really miss the 1964 Ludwig with the 20" kick I bought for a song, that I later found out was stolen and I had to give it back to it's rightful owner. Although I got paid for my time and effort restoring it.

Never lost any gear.

But that set of K customs I sold
And that Transition Badge 4x14 Downbeat
And that Ayotte Drumsmith that was perfect............
I regret selling those.

I still have my first set, so thats one regret I dont have.

Yeah i knew someone with a Rhythm Traveler and it was great. You could pack it up in a small Hundai.

They're great little kits. You can stick the whole thing in the passenger seat of almost any car, its awesome! If you know what you're doing with head selection and tuning, they can sound fantastic too.

I played a gig a couple years ago and all my cymbals disappeared. I didn't realize until months afterward because I was practicing on a different kit than I was gigging with. I went to load my kit up and the cymbal bag, with all my cymbals in it, was gone. I either forgot to grab the cymbals when I packed up after the show (seems unlikely) or someone stole them out of the truck while I was loading up. Not good.

The one I miss the most was a 20" Zildjian A Ping Ride. I'd had that thing for almost 25 years so it was part of "my sound." Still hurts to think about it.

Wow... thats a sad story. Its painful for me to hear stories like that, I'm sorry man!

In high school I had a full set of A Zildjians I had saved up for a full summer of hanging drywall to buy them used off of my teacher at the time. It was kind of like putting nice rims on a junkyard car considering how crappy my kit was at the time, but I loved those cymbals.

When I went to college I left my kit at a friends house for him to watch for me. Instead he sold everything and claimed it was stolen. Tough lesson to learn, but one that most of us must learn at one time or another. It was another decade before I could afford professional level cymbals again. For years everytime I hit my crappy B8's I just imagined I was hitting that guy in the face.

In 2001/2002 I spent a good deal of time and money putting together a set of K's and K Customs, probably 10 cymbals in total, sounded fantastic individually and as a family. Eventually pieced them out to build a Paiste Signature arsenal. As Zildjian's are very much hit and miss, I would love to have them back to save the time and effort I spent getting a whole set that sounds nice together... no trouble like that with Paiste :)

EZ answer Traded a near perfect set of Ludwig Clear Red Vistilites for a Drumkat setup in the late 90's. Still kick myself, especially when I see how much the value of the Vistilites has gone up. I search E-bay and never see Red ones either. I paid $1100 for them in 1990. Spiney-Dave

My heart goes out to you guys that have had stuff stolen from you. That has to ignite the fire within.

Regret selling:

Blue/Olive badge Ludwig "Club Date" kit 12/14/18 in a natural finish. Those toms sung.

Ludwig 402 in player's condition, but that snare was so versatile and had all the power I could ever want for pop gigs.

Ludwig 400 - see above

Regret buying:

22" Bosphorus Ride that I got straight from their outlet in Istanbul. I got to hang out with the cymbal smith and I had my pick of the litter that day and I don't know if it was the room, the other guy playing them for me or what, but when I got it home, I never liked it as much. Unfortunately, I had it drilled for rivets and so I couldn't rightly take it back. Should've taken more time over that decision. I ended up trading it in years later on a 22" K Custom Dark ride that doesn't get a lot of use any more, either.

Speaking of which, anyone want it so I can potentially add it to the list above? ;D

I bought a used Ludwig set for about 1,100 dollars. It was huge, 9 piece, with 5 rack toms, two floor toms, snare and a bass. It came with 8 cymbals, all Zildjians, cowbells, woodblocks, tambourine, and full set of cases for the entire thing. Played on it for about a year and a half. Moved into a different house, had a baby, and sold it. I got 1,275.00 dollars for it, which was great! Looking back, however, I am sorry I got rid of it. I was a bit younger and felt that having kids meant no more drumming. Now I play a Gretch kit, that I love, but that Ludwig kit was awesome. I shouldve kept it.

I regret selling my first kit. I don't even remember what brand it was, but it would have made a good gigging kit now so I could keep my better gear at home where's it safe from the dangers of the venue.

Two pieces:

My first Zildjian cymbal ever, a 60's model 22" Constantinople heavy ride. I ended up selling it because I thought I wanted a new ping ride. No, I didn't really want a new ping ride that never came close to living up to that old Constantinople. Stupid.

Also, my first piece of drum gear ever, a light blue Ludwig vistalite snare. I got rid of that to get a new Pearl brass snare way back when (I forget the model). This was not a wise exchange.

I'm much more careful about my purchases these days, partly in thanks to those experiences. And I also tend to keep an eye out for old Zildjian heavy rides.

Necro bump. ;)

I got on the big cymbal bandwagon a while ago, and ended up with four 24" rides.
One heavy Zildjian A 24" monster that could cause shock waves if you tried to crash it.
Two Sabian APX 24" rides that sounded really good, and were inexpensive to boot.
And one Paiste Giant Beat 24" ride. My favorite of the bunch.

I sold them all after thinking they were too big, especially with the smaller size sets I use.
I've rectified the 24" ride regret though, and will probably make a thread about it
after spending more time working with the nuances of the one I just got.

Back