problem with drum riser :(

grohl

hi I have a Roland drum set with kd-9 kick pad and the neigbors complaining about the noise. So i have put 4 matresses like the yoga ones but i have an issue with stability of the high hat and kick and drum pedals.Although the noise was reduced and no complains were made.

I would like to ask is it possible to put a piece of mdf between the matresses in order to fix the stabilty issue,or the will be noise again

Can you suggest me any other method for noise reduction?

thanx x

I just finished building one because I was irritating the people below me. I assume this is because the floor vibrates?

1) Get some sheets of polystyrene from Lowes or Home Depot.
2) Get some of that white, 2 inch thick insulating foam that compresses and is sometimes used to pack things. Also at Home Despot.
3) Get some pillows.
4) Cut the polystyrene in sheets the size of the pillows. Cut the white foam to the same size.
5.) place a piece of white foam under a polystyrene sheet.
6.) Place a pillow under the white foam.
7.) Place another piece of polystyrene on the bottom. Tape it all together with duct tape.

Build one of those for each point the drum stand sits on, and one for each pedal.

You want the tape to be tight enough so that each absorber compresses still has room to compress after you set the drum stand on it. That is, the secret is for the pads to be tight enough so they are stable, but still compress enough to absorb the shock of stick shots or feet slamming on the pedals.

Believe me, it works. I used to get people leaving messages on the door, etc, and the people directly below me used to send up this snotty little kid, "UH, we can hear something, it sounds like tapping...."

Since I implemented this system, I've gone as far as playing headphones at 2am, super loud, and really slamming the kick and drums. No more complaints, not even one.

I'm an engineer, so I figured I should be able to do something....LOL.

If all else fails and the neighbors complain because the music is too loud, turn it up so you can't hear them bitch.

Back