How easy is it to remove links from a pedal chain?

gmiller598

I bought a new Ludwig Atlas Standard pedal from eBay for cheap. The only issue with it and why I got it so cheap is that the chain is apparently entirely too long and the pedal won't touch the head when pushing down all the way.

It hasn't been delivered yet so I haven't looked at it myself but I figured I could remove links on my own to make it the proper length, like a watch band, or buy a new chain to replace it as a worst case scenario.

Since I've never done it myself, has anyone done it before? Are there any certain tools I should have on hand?

Check with any GOOD hardware store (no, Lowe's and Home Depot are not hardware stores). There are special tools involved but you may be able to get by without them. Possibly a file and a small punch along with a hammer will do the trick. You might be better off just replacing the chain.

If I do end up buying a new chain, are all companies the same or do they have their own proprietary designs? I'm only asking since I'm sure my local shop probably has DW chains in stock at least if not a couple of other companies but I'm sure a Ludwig chain would have to be ordered if they happen to be different.

Actually, it wasn't even the chain at all. It came via UPS today and when I got it out of the box and looked at it, all that need adjusting were the spring angle and the beater angle and it works fine. Only took about 10 minutes to figure it out and adjust it.

Certainly not a high quality pedal but certainly functional for my secondary kit. The Atlas Standard pedal is definitely a noisy pedal but I didn't expect much for something that retails new for 70 bucks.

Back