John Bonham

Re: John Bonham (Bonzo)

man i'm glad to see that you all love bonham soo much, the last time this forum was up there were some pretty bad arguments cause i said he was better than Peart.

Great drummer mabye not as technical as a Peart or Bozzio but I find him to have a feel and pocket that these drummers dont. And power man I dont think I've ever heard someone play like that he is a true monster or should I say was to bad such a waste I can only imagine what he would be doing now. Probably the most influential rock drummer ever. Plus he probably has the strongest and one of the quickest right foot I've heard. I never say better or best in talking about drummers because its so subjective but he certainly is one of the greatest.

Bonham to the moon said:
man i'm glad to see that you all love bonham soo much, the last time this forum was up there were some pretty bad arguments cause i said he was better than Peart.

that didnt happen to be on the Taborama Forum did it? and ya bonzo had a powerful right foot im trying to develope mine its almost as fast as his but it is DEFANITLY not as strong

Last edited:

well, yeah, Bonzo was just great, BUT...we have to admit that we wouldn't been discussing and admiring him if he wasn't dead...like with Elvis who is earning more money than he ever did
smile.gif

Yeah, Bonzo is awesome...

But is it true that he is completely self-taught?

Bonzo is by far the best rock drummer of all time, a complete animal. He was quite posibly the man to define the word "hard hitter"

did any of you check those bonham drum outtakes.... a friend of mine sent me a link that had like 20 bonham drum outtakes!! haha.... i downloaded all of 'em... the link isn't active any more, but its just bonham and his massive drum sound! frikkin awesome! and my buddy who sent me the link, he's an ace guitar player...... he took one of the tracks, cut it up, and then made an entire tune out of it!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/blackstratblues_music.htm
check it out... its the first track there, its called 'evil'..... its instrumental, and has a friend of his making noises in the background, but its awesome. that's BONHAM playing drums. you'll know the instant you play the track.

Two things that mark a great drummer, and Bonzo has them both:

1) You can tell right away who it is playing

2) The parts seem simple and you can look at the notes written out, but you still can't replicated the sound (groove, pocket, feel, etc.)

As for him being dead comment, that's just silly. True, some people's legacy becomes much bigger in death that it ever would have been during life (Elvis, Marylin Monroe, for example). Bonham's skills were never as dubious as many of the other deceased artists.

He may be dead, but some of the greatest rock drumming lives on in the recordings. Even today, people strive to achieve that sound.

Whereas many art forms are striving for new and progressive styles, rock can always fall back on Bonham style drums and do well.

Gotta be one of my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freddie Freeloader said:
did any of you check those bonham drum outtakes.... a friend of mine sent me a link that had like 20 bonham drum outtakes!! haha.... i downloaded all of 'em... the link isn't active any more, but its just bonham and his massive drum sound! frikkin awesome! and my buddy who sent me the link, he's an ace guitar player...... he took one of the tracks, cut it up, and then made an entire tune out of it!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/blackstratblues_music.htm
check it out... its the first track there, its called 'evil'..... its instrumental, and has a friend of his making noises in the background, but its awesome. that's BONHAM playing drums. you'll know the instant you play the track.

That song Evil rocks!

NUTHA JASON said:
yeah that dude is talented with his mixing and bonzo is just typically enormous!!!

I WANT I WANT!!! THOSE DRUMS ONLY TRACKS FREDDY!!!

J

I have them as well, if you have aol instant messenger send me a message my screen name is Gorm9999 I ll give em to you.

NUTHA JASON said:
yeah that dude is talented with his mixing and bonzo is just typically enormous!!!

I WANT I WANT!!! THOSE DRUMS ONLY TRACKS FREDDY!!!

J

hey man, you know, i've actually been trying to send you the files through gmail, but something's seriously wrong with my connection. i'll keep trying and send atleast 2 to you before today SOMEHOW. i'm in india man, the internet connection here sucks!
haha. i'm going out of town later today and won't be home for 10 days (though i will log on here as often as i can) so i'd better send you atleast a few of the tracks today. hahaha.
and didn't i tell ya'll that track is awesome. oh yeah, if you scroll down on his page, you'll find a track called 'beaten into submission' on his page that i played drums and bass on. actually, its on my soundclick page too, and i posted a link to it in my introduction thread.
check it out, that guy is an absolutely monstrous guitar player and i feel so proud to be his friend.

bonham fill

im pretty sure you guys have a idea of what im talking about when i say "the signature john bonham fill." if you listen to the guitar solo in The Stairway to Heaven, bonham does a fill that sounds like it comprised of sixteenth notes on the floor toms. Im trying to figure out exactly what hes playin. sometimes it sounds like he incorporates the bass drum as well. In anycase, did anyone figure out exactly how he plays it?

Re: bonham fill

Sounds like the first stroke is the snare then he moves on to the toms fast The bass drum is the last note. Kinda like 'snare,tom,tom,BD' Then he does almost the opposite coming out of the fill, snare being the last note. 'tom,tom,BD,snare'

At first, I never knew how he did it. Then one day I kept on trying different patterns until it sounded just like bonzo's.
First you hit the snare and bass drum then move your left hand to the rack tom and hit it then your right hand to the floor tom and hit it. So it goes like: snare/bass,rack tom,floor tom. Tell me how its sounds after you have tried it.

i always play it like this

snare
tom
floor tom
bass drum

snare with your right hand tom with your right hand floor tom with your right hand then bass drum with your right foot. He does it in the Rock And Roll Outtro alot to (6 times)

No. Your all wrong.

Snare, snare, rack tom, bass, floor tom.

Then repeat fast but on the repeat you dont need 2 snares.

Back