Kicked out of a band due to....

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
playing in your church band? My apologies for bringing religion into a discussion, but has anyone here been kicked out of a group just finding itself because they play in their church band? All things being equal, and the church band does not interfere with the secular band for gigs, rehearsal times, etc.

Everything was going great in the secular band, things were cooking, I was getting a lot of compliments, then I merely said to the leader that I'll be late to a gig I'm not even playing in. He and the singer were playing a duo acoustic gig and I told him we'd be about an hour or so late to his gig (that I saw him play 2 weeks ago at the same venue), because I have a church gig I have to play for.

Three days later I get an email saying they've gone with another drummer and they're sure I'm a good church drummer but I'm "not what they are looking for". Prior to my email to the leader about my church gig that past Friday, nobody in the band even knew I went to a church. I need to add here, that no time at all did I "preach, mention, or hint" at religion. I was there to play rock and roll and blues, not to discuss religion or politics, etc.

Kinda odd, huh?

Man, you have the absolute worst luck with bands, and always for the most ridiculous reasons.

I'll pray for you man.

haha, just kidding I'm not really religious, in fact I now hate you for the fact that you go to church.

Go choke on a drumstick crazy person :)

God will reward you. Peace and goodwill.

Really though...maybe they just wanted to do drugs, drink as much as possible, have sex with as many women as they wanted and not have a member in their band judging them?

Not preaching. Just making a point. Maybe they just want a drummer that will join in on the party and not hold back.

Or maybe the other drummer just worked out better for them overall. Schedule, vibe, etc. They could have done you a favor by hiring the other cat.

Last edited:
Anybody else the sound of an approaching Mod lock ?

Discrimination happens. I doubt church bands would take too kindly to having a gay member either ... certainly not an atheist :)

All discrimination sucks - at least for the one being discriminated against (discriminators always seem happy with their blinkers).

All you can do is move on.

That's a bummer. Maybe they've had bad experiences in the past and type-casted you. Have you thought about contacting them and asking why?

Most non Christians think they're always judged by Christians. But the reality is Christians are only worried about BEING judged by GOD

Oh child, please...

Given the way it was done, I would bet they had other reasons than religon that they did not talk about.

Typical bad business sense that neither reflects on you or your beliefs.

I'm with the other cats, man. I'm sure it was just timing. Maybe they found someone who they thought was better suited for the job - it happens.

The band I play for now - the former drummer was a great gent. Really educated, an incredible drummer, but he didn't fit the needs. They rehearsed with the guy one time, and knew it wasn't going to work. A few weeks later, the front man, who I've known for a while, saw me at Taco Bell with my family, and asked me if I'd be interested.

I don't even think the other guy was even officially informed that they'd got someone else.

I try not to play with people who are bigots, but then again, that makes ME a bigot.

If they have a problem playing with you because you're a Christian (or Muslim, or gay, or any number of discriminatory factors...) that just shows that you didn't really need to be playing with them anyways, and it's good you found out they were simpletons now rather than later...

Almost sounds like they only like musicians who play in one band since they brought up being a church drummer.

Are you getting paid to play at church? I am not.

If the gig you got kicked out of is paid and the church gig isn't, I would have pointed that out.

No, I'm not getting paid to play the church gig. I look at it as giving something back to the community and getting paid in compliments and a regular weedend gig to keep my chops up, Although my office is a plexiglass drum cage and I sweat like a pig even though I have a fan. LOL

And I get to rotate every week with another drummer. I play drum kit one week then he plays the next. When he's playing kit I'm playing Congas and other percussion. So it works out nice. I can use the conga experience. Our lead guitar player insists I need to get a black beret and mirror sunglasses when I play congas to add that extra "umph"! Haha

maybe it wasn't even religion at all. Maybe the guy is a megalomaniac and didn't like that you weren't going to see HIM play his gig as a duo. You know, drummers have to show up for everything.
Does he happen to be the LEAD guitarist? Its all about them you know lol

I'm not religious and never played in a church band. But a band I was in used to rehearse at a church space/stage. It was great space, and we constantly heard the egos and drama in the church band were just as big as other bands I've been in.

I loose plenty of opportunities because I'm not religious.

I've got a problem not seriously far off. I'm a christian who is worried about what god is going to have to say when all is said and done. A Death Metal band that has a seriously tough time finding a drummer asked me to try out, I told them I would. They gave me a song to learn, I didn't really realize the lyrics at first because it's difficult to understand death metal vocals but now I'm realizing it seems to be about Satan rising up and dethroning god. Now what do I do?

I've got a problem not seriously far off. I'm a christian who is worried about what god is going to have to say when all is said and done. A Death Metal band that has a seriously tough time finding a drummer asked me to try out, I told them I would. They gave me a song to learn, I didn't really realize the lyrics at first because it's difficult to understand death metal vocals but now I'm realizing it seems to be about Satan rising up and dethroning god. Now what do I do?

I would leave. You shouldn't even think about staying.

Back