Brian Frasier-Moores sampling pad

That's a (probably older) KAT pad, there were 3 models. They just send MIDI, not sounds. He would be using a module or computer for that.

Fabulous pads BTW, I miss mine. :(

Bermuda

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Thanks Bermuda! I've read your (?) SPD-SX thread by the way, as I'm
interested in buying a sampling pad myself.

Out of curiosity I'm checking out dozens of drummer's setups to see what
pads they might use. Most of them use the Roland. I've seen one using
the Yamaha DTX M12, and now BFM using a KAT.

I'm leaning towards the SPD-SX as well, and what I see on youtube and
read in various places, it seems to be possible to have backing tracks and
clicks separated cleanly.

Maybe it's changed since that thread, or most
users either don't realize or don't bother bad separation...?

Out of curiosity I'm checking out dozens of drummer's setups to see what pads they might use. Most of them use the Roland. I've seen one using the Yamaha DTX M12, and now BFM using a KAT.

The Roland is the most available, and more capable than the Yamaha products (last time I checked.) The KAT is probably for more specific needs by drummers working with software, but it also triggers a module nicely. They're probably the hardest to find, I'm not even sure if they're still in production.

But the Roland isn't extremely easy to use, most operations require consulting one or more parts of the manual.

I'm leaning towards the SPD-SX as well, and what I see on youtube and read in various places, it seems to be possible to have backing tracks and
clicks separated cleanly.

Maybe it's changed since that thread, or most
users either don't realize or don't bother bad separation...?

It's possible to trigger a stereo track, and a click, but it requires linking two pads. Depending what other sounds you might need to manually trigger during playback, you may or may not run out of pads.

I still use the Roland, but I'm not a fan. I'm talking with Alesis about developing a truly pro-level sample playback pad.

Bermuda

The Roland is the most available, and more capable than the Yamaha products (last time I checked.) The KAT is probably for more specific needs by drummers working with software, but it also triggers a module nicely. They're probably the hardest to find, I'm not even sure if they're still in production.

But the Roland isn't extremely easy to use, most operations require consulting one or more parts of the manual.

It's possible to trigger a stereo track, and a click, but it requires linking two pads. Depending what other sounds you might need to manually trigger during playback, you may or may not run out of pads.

I still use the Roland, but I'm not a fan. I'm talking with Alesis about developing a truly pro-level sample playback pad.

Bermuda
I'm actually using the Alesis Sample-pad pro. Pricing wise its very nice, but lacks some things that the roland has. It also has some crosstalk issues, where samples won't trigger or gets stopped by other samples. I would deffo be interested if they made something a bit more professional. I think the Roland is overpriced.

Thanks for your comments guys!

The KAT seems to be designed in a way you could easily hit the wrong pad...

I've watched some tutorials on the SPD-SX, and I think the handling has some
similarities to the TD-30 modul. I've never owned V-Drums, but I played a set
for several years and I got used to the structure of its module.

Some guy on youtube used the two foot switch channels to load a backing track
resp. a click into. Seems to be a nice idea, too.

I actually like the look of the Alesis and the fact that it's nicely backlit in blue.
I'm "glad" to know it has crosstalk issues as well. How does it compare to the
Roland when it comes to loading one's own samples into it?

The KAT seems to be designed in a way you could easily hit the wrong pad...

I actually like the look of the Alesis and the fact that it's nicely backlit in blue.
I'm "glad" to know it has crosstalk issues as well. How does it compare to the
Roland when it comes to loading one's own samples into it?

I rarely hit the wrong pad on the KAT, as long as I could see the pads. I always kept a Littlite pointed at it, so even when the stage was dark, I could see it. The SamplePad Pro's lighted border is a nice feature. :)

The crosstalk has been addressed in the last software (firmware?) update, and there are some other specifications that are being addressed in an improved model for the future. Once those are in place, the Alesis will truly rival the SPD-SX, although I'm sure Roland has been working on its replacement as well.

The SamplePad Pro is very easy to operate and load sounds (and has a ton of really nice internal sounds, too!) It's very intuitive with a minimum of buttons, and the menu structure is easier than the Roland (which, after using it for 4 years, I still fumble with when loading a new sound!) I was able to load the Alesis without reading the instructions, but they're short & sweet if you have 5 minutes to spare. I'm really hoping to take the new Alesis on the road when it's available. :)

Bermuda

Back