Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

Last edited:
I don't think the kid featured in the "African drumming" thread sounds very good at all. I imagine that once I am good that I will appreciate the kid - but as of now it sounds like noise. Props to the kid for being expedient and having an honest hustle.

MM

might be a little late, but I dont see how some of the posts got hostile in this thread. its just a thread for unpopular opinions. you post something that is your opinion. youre probly gonna see something that you dont agree with. but its not directed towards you, or anybody. thats what the thread asked for. get it out in this thread so you dont spew it out somewhere else lol!

anyways, im on the "dislike jazz" side too. ive listened to it, i can watch and say that every body playing is technically skilled, but it doesnt appeal to me sound wise in the slightest. and its usually the drums that i cant stand! im not gonna knock anyone for playin it but im not gonna commend them too...

same opinion with a lot of metal too.

and i enjoy some classical music. that might be a little unrelated.

"same opinion with a lot of metal too."

This is my unpopular opinion. Cannot relate to all of the various sub genres of metal. Blast beats don't impress me musically. Physically maybe. Screaming does absolutely nothing for me. Add to it the lot of backers that think anyone not playing metal is not good.

As for jazz I do like a fair bit of it. Lots of blues too. But in both areas when that habit of playing the same note or same small pattern over and over again comes up, I change the station.

Opinions are NOT all created equal. Far too many are ill concieved or ill thought out or irrational or overly emotional or unfactual or born from inexperience or unfamiliarity or intolerance or a lack of understanding or forsight or thought or sound judgement or reason.

This thread is living testament to that. Too believe otherwise is simply to fool oneself.

[I doubt it'll get any more unpopular than that.]

I secretly love the Mapex Saturn badges. How can you not love them? They're big, they're bold, and they say "here I am world, deal with it".

Opinions are NOT all created equal. Far too many are ill concieved or ill thought out or irrational or overly emotional or unfactual or born from inexperience or unfamiliarity or intolerance or a lack of understanding or forsight or thought or sound judgement or reason.

This thread is living testament to that. Too believe otherwise is simply to fool oneself.

I was just about to post an unpopular opinion of mine regarding my 60 years of drumming experience with traditional and matched grip techniques.

But now I don't want to post it. I'm thinking that my opinion might be wrong..................

I was just about to post an unpopular opinion of mine regarding my 60 years of drumming experience with traditional and matched grip techniques.

But now I don't want to post it. I'm thinking that my opinion might be wrong..................

Bear in mind of course, that all this is just my humble opinion. It may well be ill concieved or ill thought out or irrational or overly emotional or unfactual or born from inexperience or unfamiliarity or intolerance or a lack of understanding or forsight or thought or sound judgement or reason.

But hey, at least I'm not deluded enough to believe it holds fast purely because it's mine and based on nothing more than a whim. And that opinion may certainly be swayed with the presentation of new evidence, experience, logic or fact.......like 60 years experience with trad/matched, for example. :)

I was wondering who would be the first one to get the jimmies all rustled about this thread. Honestly I love watching the touchier members of this forum get all in a tizzy when someone says something they don't agree with. Like you've never had to deal with a mindset that doesn't align with yours before.

That's my unpopular opinion. I also miss Crazy 8's on here,

I was wondering who would be the first one to get the jimmies all rustled about this thread. Honestly I love watching the touchier members of this forum get all in a tizzy when someone says something they don't agree with. Like you've never had to deal with a mindset that doesn't align with yours before.

That's my unpopular opinion. I also miss Crazy 8's on here,
i think it's been very civil. one of the best threads here in a long time. and very entertaining. i'm glad it hasn't gotten ugly and gotten itself locked. just my opinion.

Against that background, I guess it's ok to mention I like chimes then ;)

Chimes Of Freedom

Well far between sundown's finish and midnight's broken gig
We ducked inside the drums thunder barkin'
As majestic tubes of bells struck shadows in the sun
Sayin' it may be the chimes of freedom bashin'

Bashin' for the drummers whose strength is not to shine
Flashin' for the musicians on their unnamed road to shrine
And for each and every underdog basher in the night
We gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

Well in the city's melted furnace unexpectedly we watched
With faces hidden here while the bands were tightenin'
As the echo of the gigging bells before the blowing rain
Dissolved into the wild bales of lightnin'

Yeah giggin' for the audiences yeah giggin' for the ears
Giggin' for the chimeless the abandoned and forsaked
Yeah giggin' for the outcasts burnin' constantly at stakes
And we gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

And then through a cloud-like curtain in a far off corner flashed
There's a hypnotic splattered mist was slowly liftin'
Well electric guitars still struck like arrows
Fired but for the ones condemned to drift or else be kept from driftin'

Well giggin' for the searching ones on this speechless secret trail
For the lonesome haunted lovers with too personal a tale
And for each young heart for each channeled soul misplaced inside a bell
Yeah we gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

Well starry eyed and laughin' I recall when we were caught
Trapped by an old track of vows for the bells suspended
As we listened one last time and we watched with one last look
Spellbound and swallowed "Has the giggin' ended?"

Yeah giggin' for the achin' ones whose wounds cannot be nursed
For the countless confused accused misused strung out ones at worst
And for every hung out person in the whole wide universe

Inspired by Bruce Springsteen

MY MIDNIGHT CONFESSIONS

Tuning differences aside “most” snare drums sound about the same to me.(GASP!)

Tuning and head differences aside, expensive drum sets do not sound better to me. (WTF, get marketing on the phone…quick!!!)

Most vintage kits look junky. (OMG! That's it. Stop him...call the MOD, STAT!)

IMO, DW’s are among the least attractive, (long silence) it’s the lugs, (sound of cheering) .

Now that I’ve insulted just about everybody…only kidding, sort of.

Here's another one...

I think all other drumming forums are boring. I spend like almost zero time in any of them. I'm not sure why I spend so much time in this one. I guess I've just become familiar with a few of you. The only other forum I've joined is DC and I've only 29 posts total since Sept of last year. I like to lurk in r/WTF but I've never posted there. One of the funniest places on the web, IMHO.

Chimes Of Freedom

Well far between sundown's finish and midnight's broken gig
We ducked inside the drums thunder barkin'
As majestic tubes of bells struck shadows in the sun
Sayin' it may be the chimes of freedom bashin'

Bashin' for the drummers whose strength is not to shine
Flashin' for the musicians on their unnamed road to shrine
And for each and every underdog basher in the night

Well in the city's melted furnace unexpectedly we watched
With faces hidden here while the bands were tightenin'
As the echo of the gigging bells before the blowing rain
Dissolved into the wild bales of lightnin'

Yeah giggin' for the audiences yeah giggin' for the ears
Giggin' for the chimeless the abandoned and forsaked
Yeah giggin' for the outcasts burnin' constantly at stakes
And we gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

And then through a cloud-like curtain in a far off corner flashed
There's a hypnotic splattered mist was slowly liftin'
Well electric guitars still struck like arrows
Fired but for the ones condemned to drift or else be kept from driftin'

Well giggin' for the searching ones on this speechless secret trail
For the lonesome haunted lovers with too personal a tale
And for each young heart for each channeled soul misplaced inside a bell
Yeah we gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

Well starry eyed and laughin' I recall when we were caught
Trapped by an old track of vows for the bells suspended
As we listened one last time and we watched with one last look
Spellbound and swallowed "Has the giggin' ended?"

Yeah giggin' for the achin' ones whose wounds cannot be nursed
For the countless confused accused misused strung out ones at worst
And for every hung out person in the whole wide universe

Inspired by Bruce Springsteen

That was awesome...........I have to admit, now along with you, Andy, and Bruce by proxy, I love chimes and need to get another set

Back