Music of Chicago, IL?

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
So, I watched the Blues Brothers last night, which in my opinion, is a fantastic, classic of a movie. However, I immediately feel in love with the soundtrack. The keys, the horns, the back-up singers, the whole nine. However, I couldn't quite put my finger on what genre I was hearing. Is it soul, jazz, early R&B maybe? Or is this Chicago music? Anyhow, I'm interested in learning more about this style of music, does anyone have any recommendations of where to start?

I would have to say all of the above,and done Chicago blues style,as oppose to Mississippi Delta or New Orleans style.Great movie,and great band,who actually toured at the time.There's a live Blues Brothers album that kicks butt.

I think music wasn't as compartmentalized then, as it is now.How many types of Metal do we have now?Years ago the lines blured a bit more,and rock bands could play funk,blues,soul,hard rock,"acid" rock,jazz ,pop and get away without being labeled.

Just listen to the Allman Brothers "Live at the Fillmore East 1971".Listen to "in Memory of Elizabeth Reed".,and then Listen to "Stormy Monday",and then "Hot Lanta".If you didn't know.you'd swear it's three different bands.Rock,jazz,blues,fusion?

Hell...It's just great music.

That by the way,is one of the best albums ever recorded.:)

Steve B

Thanks Steve, beautiful information.

I'll check out those bands and albums. I've never delved much in to the Allman brothers. I'm looking forward to it!

I completely agree about the subgenres of music. It's a bit ridiculous, isn't it?

Back