Mapex saturns in skb cases

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Technically this is a double post but my post got lost at the end of an old thread and ppl weren't noticing my new query.

So I got some mapex saturns and I want some skb cases to protect them. I can't remember which thread it was but I asked how these drums go with skb and I think the consensus was that it needs to be one size (2") bigger, speaking of the toms and bass, due to the size of the hardware. Ive read that floor toms are slightly bigger again but there's not really any answers I can find on google.

So an 8" Saturn Tom goes into a 10" skb and 20" Saturn bass goes into a 22" skb case (and so on). Could I please get 1 or 2 people to confirm?

Failing that, if a Saturn owner could measure max width of an 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14 and 20x18 bass? If I can at least get that info I can work it out on the skb site. Sorry for long double post but these will be needed soon.

Xx

Not gonna go that route because I'm gonna get them on eBay. I want to pay 1/2 the price, so sue me.

So I got some mapex saturns and I want some skb cases to protect them.

Failing that, if a Saturn owner could measure max width of an 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14 and 20x18 bass? If I can at least get that info I can work it out on the skb site. Sorry for long double post but these will be needed soon.

So you've got the drums, but want someone else to measure them for you? Are your arms painted on?

Not gonna go that route because I'm gonna get them on eBay. I want to pay 1/2 the price, so sue me.

What a lovely response to a bloke trying to help you out.

Nah, ironically (I think) I'm against doing that if Im not going to buy them from that store.

Pocket, I haven't actually taken delivery yet so I misled, lol.

And I'm touchy on the buy local/buy online topic as alot of ppl are, I just don't want to wait another 6 months to save so that I can pay local prices for items that aren't even in stock, I don't think anyone within 3 hours drive even has skb anyway.

I can't help exactly, but there are some things you can do to make the drums 'smaller'.

You can move the black mounting plate to the inside of the bracket that attaches to the shell - for some mounts you may have to put the bolts in the other way to prevent them from hitting the shell. This saves about 3mm per mount, which over the whole drum results in quite a bit.

You can also get smaller wingnuts. The Mapex ones are quite big, see if you can get some of the smaller rounded Sonor ones.

If you don't use the tom mount on the kick, pull it off, and I believe it will fit into the same size case. I use soft cases and my drums are different sizes so that's all the help I can give. I think you only need to worry about your floor toms and kick, as the rack toms only have the one mount and it's no really much bigger than what other brands have anyway. I have a 18" case for my 16', and a 20" case for my 18", and they both fit with plenty of room to spare.

Back