Yamaha Recording Customs...

I owned these two sets
22-8-10-12-14, 1989 in Stage White lacquer
24-13-14-18, 1983 in white wrap

I bought them in 1995, but I lost them in 2010 in a fire (when the whole building was burning down including the rehearsal room I stored my kits), and the insurance gave back the money, but the memories of hundreds of concerts... These are the best birch drums ever made.

Attachments

• RC_01a.JPG
    RC_01a.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 10,684
  • RC_02a.JPG
    RC_02a.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 4,216
  • Big_01.JPG
    Big_01.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 3,683
  • Big_02b.JPG
    Big_02b.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 4,380
Brought them back home for some maintenance. My girl's 50D was was just laying around, so I had to take some vanity pics. Pretty easy to tell I stick mostly to a 10" and 14" set up. :D I'm mulling over using the 16" as a left side tom, we'll see.

e03dz8.jpg

wi4jq.jpg

2wgy98g.jpg

2isjblz.jpg

11j155g.jpg

jofizzm, that is my all time favorite set of RC's I've ever seen. Perfection.

I would trade three of my kits for those. Damn!

jofizzm, that is my all time favorite set of RC's I've ever seen. Perfection.

I would trade three of my kits for those. Damn!

Thank you sir.
There's one one ebay right now, cept the guy wants $2400 for a three piece, and has drilled in another tom mount on the bass drum. Crazy.

There's also a couple 20th anniversary kits on there too, blue fade. Quite nice.

Last edited:
Thank you sir.
There's one one ebay right now, cept the guy wants $2400 for a three piece, and has drilled in another tom mount on the bass drum. Crazy.

There's also a couple 20th anniversary kits on there too, blue fade. Quite nice.

I saw those!
I'm OK with one mount but drilling a second one...yikes. And for $2400. Ha!
I paid $800 for my Quartz Grey RC kit - 12/14/20. Gig with them a lot. Love them.
Love yours more.
:)

Hi All,

There are some lovely kits here, and I apologize if this should in another thread. I just placed my order today for one of the remaining new sets of Deep Blue Recording Customs and am quite excited about it. I know the toms come with Pinstripe batters and Ambassador resonant sides. I'm considering replacing the batters with Remo coated Ambassadors. Assuming some of you have tried that with these particular drums, what were your impressions on how the coated Ambassador batters sounded on the toms?

Thanks in advance.

Beautiful kits in here. I have a honey amber absolute and a burgendy warped tour series currently. That apple sparkle fade finish shown in here is my favorite so far. All of these kits look classy though.

Hi All,

There are some lovely kits here, and I apologize if this should in another thread. I just placed my order today for one of the remaining new sets of Deep Blue Recording Customs and am quite excited about it. I know the toms come with Pinstripe batters and Ambassador resonant sides. I'm considering replacing the batters with Remo coated Ambassadors. Assuming some of you have tried that with these particular drums, what were your impressions on how the coated Ambassador batters sounded on the toms?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting that you were able to buy a new RC kit. Did a dealer have it in stock, or was it in Yamaha's warehouse? If it was the warehouse, do you know if there is much left from the Japanese made lines?

I have Black Suede Emperors for my RC tom batters, and just love them. Really warm sounding heads.

Interesting that you were able to buy a new RC kit. Did a dealer have it in stock, or was it in Yamaha's warehouse? If it was the warehouse, do you know if there is much left from the Japanese made lines?

I have Black Suede Emperors for my RC tom batters, and just love them. Really warm sounding heads.

I'm sure you know this, but I see a few RC kits in stock at some dealers (Forks Drum Closet being one.) I sure would like to buy one, but they are pretty darn expensive new.

I'm sure you know this, but I see a few RC kits in stock at some dealers (Forks Drum Closet being one.) I sure would like to buy one, but they are pretty darn expensive new.

Yeah, you're right. I have seen a few for sale. And they are pricey. I just always wonder what odds and ends Yamaha has tucked away in their warehouse.

Since we're posting RC pics, here you go...I painted the white kit with Valspar spray can lacquer - orphan drums I rescued. The kick is a maple 20" Ludwig marcher.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 2,131
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 3,076
Last edited:
Holy crap BGH! That looks awesome!
Looks like you have successfully rescued another bunch of RC drums from a lifetime of hardship.

I am also in the process of some RC tinkering; I found a 10" RC tom on eBay in my colour - Quartz Grey. But the problem - it's 10" deep too and really wouldn't go with the rest of the kit (12x8, 14x14, 20x14) at all. So I also found some of the shallower RC lugs and its getting cut down to a 10 x 7.5 right now.
But after seeing you do a really good job repainting two RC kits now, you have me thing about doing something about mine too...not crazy about the Quartz Grey.

Holy crap BGH! That looks awesome!
Looks like you have successfully rescued another bunch of RC drums from a lifetime of hardship.

I am also in the process of some RC tinkering; I found a 10" RC tom on eBay in my colour - Quartz Grey. But the problem - it's 10" deep too and really wouldn't go with the rest of the kit (12x8, 14x14, 20x14) at all. So I also found some of the shallower RC lugs and its getting cut down to a 10 x 7.5 right now.
But after seeing you do a really good job repainting two RC kits now, you have me thing about doing something about mine too...not crazy about the Quartz Grey.

Thanks. The black kit is factory and the white kit is actually the RC toms I had painted black. I refinished them again! Here's the long story:

After I painted the kit black, I ended up collecting a bunch of original finish Piano Black RC's. I had close to 4 kits worth of RC drums. So, it was a bit overkill. I have sold a number of drums and the kit in the first pic is pretty much what I have left in black-they are all in factory finish. I kept the drums that made the best sense for me, size wise. In addition to that kit, I still have 3 extra drums another 22", a 11x13 and a snare 7x14 (love that snare). They are all factory finish.

I repainted the orphan drums white because (through some experimentation) I found that the white is much easier to paint and have it look good. The black I painted looked ok, but its so glossy, it shows every little imperfection. I had acquired the Ludwig marcher in white and converted it to a kick drum. Its a 14x20 maple that is just killer. So, I figured I'd paint the orphans white to go along with that kick.

I'm glad I have inspired you, but if your gray 's are in good shape, I would leave them the way they are. Gray is actually a rare color as you probably know. Yamaha didn't make them for very long; you just don't see them around very much anymore. Cool that you found the 10" and are having it cut down. You'll be very happy with it.

Last edited:
Back