SAMSON 8KIT Test @ Practice session video

tolgapala

Hey there,

Here's I believe would be helpful to drummers who's looking for an affordable yet very good piece of microphone set. Very nice set and I am sure you would instantly notice the quality of the microphone sounds despite the fact that this is a barenaked room, with no treatment at all unfortunately.

The drum tuning wasn't subtle and just enough to keep moving and I have just recorded the raw microphone sounds with no compression, no eq no effects applied. Just recorded routing the my stereo mixer output to my m-audio fast track pro usb and then to the pc.

As many of you may notice, I also didn't have the chance to utilize the hi-hat condencer (as i had no xlr connectors left available on my mixer) of the kit which palso erforms incredibly well. (Tested that separately)No question about it.

So without further storytelling i am just adding the video description and the link.

Any questions or comments are greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers.
Tolga

Practice and Drum Mic Kit Test w/ Samson 8KIT

Practice session to test performances of the Samson kit. Warming up, fooling around a bit and then some play alongs. I thought it would be nice to record myself playing my acoustic set while I'm at it. Any comments and questions are greatly appreciated as always. Please bear with me while in practice or feel free skip to the play along part @ 5:06 which I believe to be more interesting and as the soloing practice is nothing special and might be boring to many of you aside from a couple of highlights within.

Title credits: Skynyrd Nation by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Rock from Dave Weckl's Ultimate Play Along Vol.2

Some sound samples i created (which I believe to be also helpful) couldbe found in another thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=734092&postcount=4 and
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=737252&postcount=6

Last edited:
I will also put some other quality samples later on as soon as I have some time to try to push these mics' limits.

That'll be interesting to hear, I'll be getting together a home studio with this mics soon, coupled with the Tascam 1641 interface, I have gotten pretty decent sound with a computer mic, so I imagine I can get something nice going on with those mics. I also just asked through eBay if they can sell me a single extra QTom, because I have 4 toms, and don't know how I'll come by that extra mic.

Good stuff, Fox.

No EQ or anything? Those still sounded great to me... I'll recommend these to my buddy's band, they don't have a set of their own mics.

That'll be interesting to hear, I'll be getting together a home studio with this mics soon, coupled with the Tascam 1641 interface, I have gotten pretty decent sound with a computer mic, so I imagine I can get something nice going on with those mics. I also just asked through eBay if they can sell me a single extra QTom, because I have 4 toms, and don't know how I'll come by that extra mic.

Good stuff, Fox.

hey there fox,

i am really glad you liked the samples. i am pretty confident you would like their performances as well, i mean i was expecting that to be perfectly honest after i saw this guy called cobus potgeiter with his videos on youtube that he's using samson mics as well in his dvd recordings as well.

well he's using some pretty cool gear alongside with the mics so my raw stuff are no comparison but nevertheless, it is obvious if you don't have good performance mics, you miss the essentials to begin with anyway.

i am not sure ebay would sell extra qtoms but you might want to check the online music stores. i bought my set from amazon by the way.

many thanks for dropping a line by the way.

cheers
tolga

hey there fox,

i am really glad you liked the samples. i am pretty confident you would like their performances as well, i mean i was expecting that to be perfectly honest after i saw this guy called cobus potgeiter with his videos on youtube that he's using samson mics as well in his dvd recordings as well.

well he's using some pretty cool gear alongside with the mics so my raw stuff are no comparison but nevertheless, it is obvious if you don't have good performance mics, you miss the essentials to begin with anyway.

i am not sure ebay would sell extra qtoms but you might want to check the online music stores. i bought my set from amazon by the way.

many thanks for dropping a line by the way.

cheers
tolga

I know, I would have a much bigger chance of getting the extra mic in person at a guitar center or Sam Ash, but I'll only be in the States for a few days, and if I don't order beforehand, I might end up having to leave before the mics arrive! Amazon doesn't send the pack that comes with all the cables and the stands anymore, that's the one that's on eBay; 4 stands, the 8 mic pack, and the 8 cables for 359 dollars I think, that's just CHEAP for what you're getting.
I think they are a great buy, because while you might not get Gavin Harrison's sound, you get pretty much a studio sound you can use for professional demos, or to have a good idea of what the band sounds like recorded, and all in the comfort of your house.

Fox.

No EQ or anything? Those still sounded great to me... I'll recommend these to my buddy's band, they don't have a set of their own mics.

only basic EQ (lo, mid, high) on the mixer for the kick and snare for leveling and accentuation purposes to be honest as the emptiness of the room really is disturbing but strictly nothing else applied (multi band eq, compress, effects, noise gate etc on the pc). i would definitely recommend those. besides you get 3 condensers (2 studio condensers and one pencil condenser for the hi-hat), 1 snare, 1 kick and 3 tom mics for that price. they are definitely keepers. if you aren't satisfied for stuio sessions, you can always use them for live shows. price over performance is amazing if you ask me.

cheers.
tolga

I use samson drum mic's. you can go out and spend thousands on mic's, If your drums sound like crap and are not tuned, even the best mics in the world will not help. With well tuned drums the cheap samsons sound great and need very little as far as effects go. Just a little E.Q and maybe some light gate on the Kick. I have heard some amazing recordings done with a kick mic and two overheads, the drums were tuned and sounded amazing. well tuned drums will beat any drum mic any day. Here is a fully mixed sample of my kit using samson mics and 1 sm57 on the snare

Last edited:
hey there all,

some more samples for the samson kit. please disregard the overall mix as all these videos are recordings strictly on the go and weren't subjected to any sort of eq other than the basic ones (lo, mid, hi) on the mixer.

also i tried to level the drums to a point in between high and low so that i could have more to hear while playing and also be able to blend the drums into the track i am playing along to.

any questions and comments are greatly appreciated as always from here or from youtube comments and messaging.

cheers.
tolga

Drum Cover - The Steeldrivers - Blue Side Of The Mountain

Play Along - Straight Eights From Dave Weckl's Ultimate Play Along Vol.1.

Practice and Warm Up - Sixteenth Notes Feel From Dave Weckl's Ultimate Play Along Vol.1

Back