SONOR SQ2 Heavy Beech, High Gloss American Walnut

Smatch

Here a some pics of my new SQ2. All shells are heavy beech and the sizes are 8x7 10x8 12x8 14x13 16x14 and 22x16. I have owned a lot of kits over the 20+ yrs that I have been buying kits and this is the first brand new kit I have ever owned. A lot of thought went into my decisions and a lot of help came my way from a lot of knowledgeable people here on this forum and elsewhere. I sold a Yamaha PHX to fund this order and am confident I made the right choice. The PHX was an amazing kit and the kick drums in that series are unrivaled in my opinion. While the SQ2 kick is superb and as good, or likely, better than anything else I have ever played, the PHX kicks take the cake,. The toms on the SQ2 however are the cleanest, best feeling, most articulate and easy to tune drums I have ever played. Most of the German SONOR kits posses this trait as well. Anyway I love this kit and wanted to share my thoughts and some pics here on dw, hope you all enjoy them.

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

Congrats on the new kit! Beautiful drums and excellent finish! Sonor makes some incredible products (especially the German-made kits)! A sound clip would be great if its possible!!

Thanks for sharing!

That is got to be like, the best looking kit I have ever seen! That must have been a bit of an investment, but it looks like it's worth it!

Also I must ask;
What kind of snare is that? Looks unfamiliar to me.

Wow - so nice and I bet they sound as good as they look. Congrats too on getting the high gloss. I think it looks so much better and they'll be a little more road worthy with the added protection of the gloss finish.

Absolutely gorgeous. I think if (like you) I ever did decide to give Yamaha a miss, Sonor would be my next choice. Lovely, enjoy!

I love the drums and also like the segmented house construction. Very nice.

Hey thanks a lot guys. I love this kit and think I will be free of gear lust for a long time. I will try to get sound files soon, although all I have here is a zoom q3hd. All of my recording gear is over an hour and a half away and in heavy use so the q3 will have to do for now.

To answer a question the snare is a keller 10 ply maple shell with a veneer that Drum Foundry applied along with bearing edges and snare beds. The lugs are from Bob at Allstar and are the satin arch lugs, they do awesome work, the hoops are dw as well as the strainer and butt. All I did was layout and drill the shell. It's a nice snare but my go to snares at the moment are, a 6x14 Walnut Stave with wood hoops from Rhett at HD Custom, and a SONOR S Classix 5x14 in "rosewood" satin. I am currently having Bellwether Custom drums build me a thin Cherry (1/4") stave snare with hybrid maple/wenge rerings tripled flanged hoops and brushed Brass epek tube lugs from Allstar. Anyone unfamiliar with Bellwether should check them out. They build their shells from scratch and employ some singular aesthetics features like inset wood keys and a modified trick strainer. Check them out here http://www.bellwethersnaredrums.com/gallery.html

Oh one thing I may have forgotten to mention is the Karl Heinz Menzel (SONOR President) signed the insided of all of the shells for me. He is a super cool dude and I hope to meet him and tour the factory in 2013. Oh and can't forget Artstar here on the forum, very helpful and knowledgeable dude for sure, thanks again man!

I am currently having Bellwether Custom drums build me a thin Cherry (1/4") stave snare with hybrid maple/wenge rerings tripled flanged hoops and brushed Brass epek tube lugs from Allstar. Anyone unfamiliar with Bellwether should check them out. They build their shells from scratch and employ some singular aesthetics features like inset wood keys and a modified trick strainer. Check them out here http://www.bellwethersnaredrums.com/gallery.html
Now that sounds like a very cool construction. Bellwether do stunning work.

Back