Silence a drum without using mesh heads?

This won't silent your drums, but can bring down the volume:

I've been using Promark MJZ-11 maple sticks lately. It's the lightest/smallest sticks I've come across. Its size almost gets into the chopstick territory. Its volume is noticeably lower than, say, a standard hickory 5A. Also, because of the small round bullet tip, you got a lot less ping from the ride.

http://www.promark.com/pmProductDet...&productname=Maple_MJZ11__Jazz_Caf___Wood_Tip

Another thing is, I sometimes put a tea towel on the snare.

I'm sort of thinking out loud here, but I wonder if you could thread some wires into or under a mesh head to dampen the bounce.

It's the mushy-ness of the mesh that detracts.

Or, maybe melting a lot of holes into a real kevlar marching head might bring the volume down and still have some normal feel compared to a mesh head.

As a matter of interest, what would be the quietest heads? Maybe very dead ones like some of the Powerstokes?

This won't silent your drums, but can bring down the volume:

I've been using Promark MJZ-11 maple sticks lately. It's the lightest/smallest sticks I've come across.

I always liked the feel of lighter maple sticks. Have you tried Boso 7A bamboo sticks? Their lightness takes some getting used to but they are lighter and quieter than other sticks I've used.

I always liked the feel of lighter maple sticks. Have you tried Boso 7A bamboo sticks? Their lightness takes some getting used to but they are lighter and quieter than other sticks I've used.

I have just checked their website. Looks like I won't be able to find them in Australia. :-(

But thanks.

This will even silence a banjo...

Attachments

• sledgehammer.jpg
    sledgehammer.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
Back