Tuning With A Guitar Tuner

There are just too many different fundamental frequencies and harmonics coming from the drums when first beginning to tune that will confuse most tuners. Always the most intense of these frequencies will cause the tuner to react first. After tuning your drums by ear to a decent pitch and cleaning-up those erupting harmonics, then a guitar tuner will probably work, but then you wouldn't need such a tuner, lol.

Dennis

I tried this last night.

I didn't get consistent pitch from the tuner but had much better success using a bass guitar and finding the same note myself.

Nice idea though.

Davo

All my toms are tuned to a specific pitch. I get them close with a keyboard, and finish by ear.

G E C A F D B G E
8 8 8 10 12 13 15 16 18

If I may ask, is that chart correct? The 10" for instance, the optimal note for most drums of that size is D, or E maybe.

I tune my drums 8"G, 10"D, 12"A, 14"D and 16"A, which seems optimal to me.

how will i tune my drum with a guiter? guys pls i need ur help

What are your tom sizes?

Like others have posted here a guitar has a tendency to jump all over the place and can be very frustrating but there is a new tuner out for drums for $99 that I am told works well but I cannot verify this as I have not used it yet myself. The only tuner I have seen that I know for sure that works 100% as advertised is a resotune but its pricey at $250 and is similar to the unit used to tune pianos but lays across the hoop and sends a sonic wave thru the drum to register the pitch of the shell and the pitch of the head at each tension rod. You can choose to tune to the shell or any other note you want to pick and it will tell you which rod to turn and which way to turn it.

https://www.resotune.com/
RESO_II_L2.jpg

Chromatic tuners are easy to use on drums. Like I mentioned in another thread, you hold the tuner under the drum while its mounted and catch the note of the reso head.

If the needle is "jumping around" it means you're in the wrong place with the tuner, and probably on an overtone ridden batter head.

You always tune by ear, the bottom/reso head is the head that sounds the pitch, the top/batter head attack. Batter head tuning will affect pitch, but that's not the head you read off of with the tuner.

The other key is not to strike the batter head hard when tuning, I use light to medium taps with my finger dead center.

The tuner is used to check your work, you shouldn't be looking at the tuner every incremental turn of the drum key. You tune up, or down, then check with the tuner, its really quite easy.

If you can't get a note to register, try changing your heads, tho the bottom head should always get you a reading. Digital tuners are easier to read than needled tuners.

Last edited:

Its clear TUNEBOT creates more work.

When you're talking a few hz (224.7 - 225) its a pretty moot point. Unless you strike the drum in exactly same place every time while tuning, the numbers will never line up perfectly.

If you cannot 'clear' your lugs (tune each lug point (real-close) to the same pitch) by ear to within a few hz, maybe you could use TUNEBOT.

You'll see in the vid @13:45 he demonstrates 'Note Mode', he's using that to check his work, just like you'd use a chromatic tune.

Presets maybe nice, but each room is different (maybe less so on big stages) so setting 20 might not sound good in another room, always best to start from scratch-tune to the room. Your ears change too, they might not perceive setting 23 for snare drum as sounding good the next time you try it.

Hi Guys,
I'm not a drummer, but I just bought my son a snare drum that sounded awful. So I watched a Bob Gatzen tuning video, but still couldn't really tell if the notes at the lugs were similar. Some hits sounded like La La La, some were more Da Da Da in my head, and it was tough to figure out the tone at first.

Like others have said, my guitar tuner didn't work because the burst of sound was too short, so I started to sing the sound I heard into my tuner. That made it super easy. The tuner didn't care if I sang La la la la laaaaaaaa, or da da da da daaaaaa. It got the pitch right no matter what. I used a torque key to get all the lugs close to the notes Gatzen used, but it was still way off. Then I used a normal key to get the head by each lug to within a few cents of the note I wanted.

The drum wasn't tuned at all when we received it, it was a couple of steps low and really loose, so my first attempt to tune two snare heads to pitch took a while. Almost 45 minutes. I did watch Gatzen's video a few times during those 45 minutes, and I wasted at least 20 minutes trying to tune without the guitar tuner, and just the torque key, so it probably wasn't that slow. I also don't know how long it takes to tune a drum the first time. Doing it this way would still take about 10-15 minutes for me now if the drum were way way off like this one was, or if I changed the heads. So maybe a bit slow, but the guitar tuner made it super easy, because I knew instantly which lugs were sharp, and which were flat.

When I brought the drum to the guitar center to buy a mount, I asked the guy in the drum section if he'd fix any tuning errors I made. He said it was dead on. Better than 99% of the guys who bring in their drums, or try to tune drums while in the store, so a guitar tuner can work.

I asked my son to sing the note the drum made, into the tuner, and the tuner gave the same note, C, when he did it, that it did when I sang. He has never tuned any instrument, and this is his first drum, so clearly it's not hard to sing the fundamental pitch if you tap tap tap while going la la la ....

I am sure, given the overtones, that beginners may not realize which sound they are hearing is the drum's fundamental pitch, until they sing with the drum. I play guitar and I couldn't tell what the drum was tuned to. It's also very difficult to tell if something is a few cents sharp versus a few cents flat. You know it's off, and can sing the different notes, but you can't easily say which is higher. That makes correcting it slow. The chromatic tuner solves those issues, so I think if you are willing to sing a little, and have a cheap guitar tuner around, this could be an easy way to tune your drums.
Todd

I've used a tuner to get a drum to a specific pitch and not had problems. However, it gets more difficult to use it to even up tuning around the head -- I've never found anything that works better than evening up the lugs by ear using harmonics (overtones). Once the head is tuned evenly, then it's a simple matter to raise or lower the pitch using a tuner.

If you have a smartphone, there are some free tuner apps that work well.

Back