Joey Jordison

M

___madworld

dont you think that he would be a lot better without the other two "percussionists" in slipknot?

Those other two drummers/ percussionists in Slipknot are mostly there just for novelty. Really what do they do that really contributes the band?

I saw Slipknot at OzFest last year, and they had more than 2 novelty drummers. It seems like 4 or 5 different guys were beating on 50 gallon drums for some reason.

Eh, Joey's not that great. I saw his solo on that DVD... it got boring after the first minute. All it was was double bass and rolls. All crowd-pleasers.

The song "Danger - Keep Away" at the end of their third album has blues-y/ jazz sounding drums, and he actually does a decent job of it. Other than that, he's just an above-average metal drummer, and not much more.

Well, my friend had the experience of hanging with joey during a soundcheck, and got to stand beside him while he was playing his kit for the soundcheck. According to him, Joey plays the blast beat stuff...yeah, it works for his music. But he also said that he busts out tons of other things...such as funky grooves. My friend isnt one to glorify things, so I beleive him, and I could see Joey doing that as well. I really enjoy his drumming.

___madworld said:
dont you think that he would be a lot better without the other two "percussionists" in slipknot?

Slipknot isn't about the individual talent. They use all of the members of their band because they want that sound. The atmosphere at their shows is crazy, and he doesn't use the two other percussionists (Chris and Shaun) in every song. Very often they are there just to accent his double bass grooves.

I think that Joey has enough sense to know to put out an individual CD if he wanted to sound better.

I never did like Slipknot much... Joey's style gets the job done, that is about all I will say. He is a good drummer, I just don't like the style.

i love slipknot, and joey jordison is one of the best metal drummer to day, i have seen him live at in denmark, parken. when they was a suport band for MetallicA.. He was realy COOL

Joey is an excellent drummer. Just because his Disasterpiece solo was all crowd pleaser doesnt mean he cant actually play anything else! Also the two percussionists do know how to play drums, listen to The Blister Exists of their latest cd. I saw them at Big Day Out (Australia) and watched them play rudiments on their snares! I mean hey, why knock them? Should there be 3 drumkits in Slipknot?? :p

I think Joey is the only musician of Slipknot. The rest is just uninteresting. And these guys just spread out real nonsense lyrics full of absurd hatred, this freaks me off much more than any other kind of band (except Nazi Oï). I mean, how many very young kids are hooked on this.
I also feel that with Slipknot you get insulted a whole show by a guys knowing nothing better than to give you the finger...............Pathetic. Joey is the only piece of highlight in this mess.

I hope this Joey Thread isn't going to end up like the other one on the last forum.

My two cents:

I like Joey. Super nice guy and he does have chops, just not the most in the world. He isn't the greatest, but he isn't the worst. Bottom line; he gets the job done. he works for Slipnot.

medeskisoul said:
I hope this Joey Thread isn't going to end up like the other one on the last forum.

My two cents:

I like Joey. Super nice guy and he does have chops, just not the most in the world. He isn't the greatest, but he isn't the worst. Bottom line; he gets the job done. he works for Slipnot.

So what you are saying is he doesn't deserve the lavish praise he gets for being a gimmicky drummer in a gimmicky band? Oh wait, no , sorry, that's what I'm saying.

;-)

stu

In repsonse to those who say that the other two percussionists don't lend much, it is true they are often for show, but there are certain times where you don't really notice them as they are pounding away on the drums, adding a backing heaviness that can be hard to place. Take the song Surfacing. When the singer is singing the chorus, they are providing a steady beat in the background. Not highly noticeable at first, but the subtlety increases the heaviness of the band. My 2 cents.

Joey isnt at all a bad drummer. I think he just gets smashed a lot because he is in a highly publicized band, and a lot of the younger crowd havent had the 'experience' of discovering other durmmers yet.

I mean, if Slipknot is all that you hear and you love it, of course its going to be amazing to you.

My advice to those people who really like metal, and really like Joey is to listen to some MORE metal and some MORE metal drummers! Get a taste before making these calls about him being the BEST metal drummer.

Marc.

yeah, i have a "drummer" friend, hwo used to love joey, till he got into hardcore, and heard francis mark (excellent drummer), now he hates him...but that's just him bein ignorant. and now he likes some underground drummer that is just terrible. so choose wisely before you rave about someone.
peace

haha, my friend is obsessed with him. she showed me this aweosme video where he drums while he and his kit are like spinning around and upsidedown and stuff... freaking crazy man. yeah, i think the other two are just friends they didn't want to leave out of the band. :D

Well, I think he's a very good drummer. At least, he is my favourite drummer. The two percussionists are for setting accents in the music which can't be done by Joey.
I think there are better drummers in the world, but Joey is not only a drummer. He also plays guitar and writes the songs. In this aspect he's one of the best.

Back