Metronome?

getbeats

how should you practice with the metronme? In terms of rudiments, people say you should play from slow to fast. should you do a certain tempo, stop the metrnome, step it up, and repeat until you get to your fastest? or what should you do?

I think you are describing two separate exercises. When working on rudiments from slow to fast and back again I do not use a metronome but try to focus on the flow of the rudiment. When using a metronome I am working on the precision of each stroke to make sure everything is in time. Hope this helps.

Dan

practicing intentionally speeding up and then slowing down is something i would avoid. something i dont agree with as your hands will learn to constantly change tempo instead of locking in at a variety of set tempos- as you would when you play a song.

i practice to a click for everything i do.

start slow, whatever tempo you can execute the rudiment continuously while staying relaxed.

set yourself an amount of time for each rudiment you're working on, then gradually raise the bpm after awhile(hours-days-as long as you need,ect) by maybe 4-5bpm. only up the bpm when you know you're comfortable to. raising the speed too soon will compromise the way things sound.

also yes, if you're going to play at different tempos, stop, make the metronome change, then continue on.

hope this helps.

practicing intentionally speeding up and then slowing down is something i would avoid. something i dont agree with as your hands will learn to constantly change tempo instead of locking in at a variety of set tempos- as you would when you play a song.

i practice to a click for everything i do.

start slow, whatever tempo you can execute the rudiment continuously while staying relaxed.

set yourself an amount of time for each rudiment you're working on, then gradually raise the bpm after awhile(hours-days-as long as you need,ect) by maybe 4-5bpm. only up the bpm when you know you're comfortable to. raising the speed too soon will compromise the way things sound.

also yes, if you're going to play at different tempos, stop, make the metronome change, then continue on.

hope this helps.
While I believe there's a grain of truth to what you're saying, I'd imagine that the practice of demonstrating rudiments by the accelerando-decelerando method is so ubiquitous in auditions and examinations of snare work that it certainly merits practice.

Back