Rockband Drums: good practice?

I have a student who practices real drums to the game. He knows that yellow is hi-hat etc.. and makes the obvious associations. I gave him a 10 on creativity.

The nice thing about RB is that kids will get a sense of timing out of it. This note gets played here; at this time; in this order; etc..

And also think about it this way. We don't penalize students for playing things "too" inaccurately as where the game does.

I find it a lot of fun to play, but the system I played on had a delay on the sound which was a downer. Plus I had a lot of spymaster cocktails, which, come to think of it, would have added to the perceived delay...I rest my case.
C

if you play on the expert level, its pretty much note for note the real song, so in that sense yes it is good practice

I think Rockband is a good starting point for some and I'm sure you could do some other resourceful things with it as well but that's it really in my opinion.

if you play on the expert level, its pretty much note for note the real song, so in that sense yes it is good practice

I have found this to be not true...they add stuff, change stuff, it's kind of weird. I remember, I want to say it was in a Bon Jovi tune, it was a track that I already know note-for-note. I set it to expert, and just kind of zoned out on a part where there are no drums. Sure enough, I looked up, and there were some notes on the screen...I guess to keep the drummer from getting bored, but still, it was so annoying. I found that I did worse on songs that I know note-for-note than I did on songs that I just know the general drum patterns for, because the ones I know note-for-note, I kept adding the right beats when they weren't there, or playing the right fills instead of what the game gives you.

Other than building a sense of time, I don't think it does much. It also doesnt allow for much creativity/exploration - It fails you if you stray away from the predefined groove.

It's best to practice something practical. In the end video games get you nowhere.

On that note, I'm off to go play NHL. Jagr, Ovechkin AND Malkin on the Maple Leafs?! Now we're talking!

Other than building a sense of time, I don't think it does much. It also doesnt allow for much creativity/exploration - It fails you if you stray away from the predefined groove.

It's best to practice something practical. In the end video games get you nowhere.

On that note, I'm off to go play NHL. Jagr, Ovechkin AND Malkin on the Maple Leafs?! Now we're talking!

True, but it'll help newer players learn some of the essential grooves that they should know.

you should see my drummer friend play the drums on Rock Band. quite amusing.

even though I and others have tried multiple times to explain it to him, he doesn't seem to understand that you have to follow the colored dots on the screen in order to not fail the song.

so he'll play a song that he normally plays on (real-life) drums, and tries to make up his own fills and plays the song as if he were playing it with his (real-life) band. needless to say, he fails almost every time. and then he gets really mad at the game haha

also, he's a super-heavy hitter, and he plays the Rock Band controller like it was his real drumset... he breaks sticks playing the game, and even once broke one of the pads on the controller.

Not really. I've noticed with a lot of the rockband songs that it's not exactly on the beat. And, for most of us drummers who are used to playing in time with the band, it throws off the score.

Interesting debate this!

From a coordination point of view it's probably OK practice. If anything it forces practice of 'unusual' coordination (as pads change from one sound to another) - not always a bad thing. But it's not the same as actual playing (which is more fun anyway IMO ! )

The thing about Rock Band is that it makes drums available to non-drummers. I say: if it gets people into playing drums, then it's a good thing.

The thing about Rock Band is that it makes drums available to non-drummers. I say: if it gets people into playing drums, then it's a good thing.

I disagree about that being a good thing. It means more competition for work, etc. I basically hate all other drummers and hope they die, including you idiots on here.

I'm kidding, of course. But I know so many musicians who have that type of attitude, I thought it would get a chuckle out of some of you who know them too.

I am dying for Rock Band to come out with a version of their games with real MIDI inputs. For drums, bass and guitar.

I would buy MIDI pickups for my bass & guitar and probably go spring for a brain and some triggers for my Pearl Rhythm Traveller.

Think of it, no more hitting buttons or cheap pads. Playing REAL instruments and playing the video game at the same time.

They have similar programs for keyboards. Why should the pianists get all the fun? And if they put the Rock Band logo on there it would stimulate sales.

I guess Ive just never experienced the unparalleled splendor of video game drums, but if you really want to get better, why dont you just play the drums? Start your own band? Get your own gigs?

I think it would not be detrimental, unless there was something wrong with the line-up between the sound and the images, which could result in time problems. But I cant see it helping all that much. Ive watched my cousins play it and I couldnt really see all that many benefits, other than slightly faster single strokes, but why not just use a practice pad and really dig in if you want faster singles? I dont know, it just seems ridiculous and lazy to be like, no im practicing, I play video-games ALL the time!

Essentially it's metronome training. A lot of people here don't regularly practice with a metronome - well, Rockband drums are just that; an objective metronome with a song underneath. Of course it's going to train your timing and maybe some co-ordination too. Not your technique, however. Give it a couple of years and there will be court cases about Rockband drums and a link with RSI.

This only holds true, by the way, if the player takes the time to make sure their game is properly calibrated with their TV (or sound system,) otherwise it's actually detrimental.

Of course if you're serious about learning the instrument no video game will ever replace practice.

But there IS this little thing called "Fun".

I'm really enjoying rock band at the minute the only problem i have with it is that the songs don't use the correct drum parts most of the time. The cool thing though is that i get to spend time with my girlfriend and play drums at the same time without any hassle! It will definitely get more people into drumming though and coordination is a good skill to have especially for children.

To be fair, the "fill trainer" far surpassed my expectations. It's certainly no match for real lessons, but the game's taking strides in the right direction with each new release. At the very least, it gets kids interested in drumming and the music, while possibly teaching a few fundamental ideas (while at the same time, possibly cementing some bad habits.)

I like the fact that it gets younger kids into the drumming world but, it can also be discouraging for them. I'm only 13 but I've been studying music since before I could read and only started playing drums 1 1/2 years ago and I play at least 5-6 hours a day. I think rockband is a fun game but I don't think it should be a replacement of practice. Practice your rudiments just 20x each with metronome daily and it will make a dramatic difference in your playing. I think that's the best practice, rudiments.

I played this game for the first time today, and I think it's pretty fun. I don't believe anyone who is seriouse enough about drums would think twice about replacing this "game" for practice on the pad with rudiments, but it can improve your single stroke rolls IMO. When it's turned off, it's like you have an entire practice pad mini kit.

Back