Attention Tune-Bot Owners!

iontheable

So last weekend I drove an hour out to the nearest GC to pick up a Tune-Bot..I have a decent set of ears when it comes to tuning..but its a long process for me...my aim with the Tune-Bot was to clarify my tuning methods as well as solidify my ability to properly differentiate minute tonal differences.

Upon first opening the box I thought the device looked pretty well thought of and after much research the options built in sounded, well..sound.

However..I cannot seem to use it properly and I am wondering if anyone else is having the same issues. I've watch their instructional video a few times and while its not a hard concept to grasp..I cannot for the life of me create consistent results.

I've loosened my head(s) several times, then bring them up evenly to begin tuning, however, when striking the center of the head I'll come up with, say 240Hz and the next hit(without touching a lug) I'll produce 170Hz..The same problem occurs when trying to find the tone of a single lug. I'll place my finger in the center of the drum head to avoid overtones and whack close to a lug a couple times..every consecutive hit is resolving a different tone..

So what is the deal? This is apparent with every drum I own..I've tried them all, on their proper settings and I've literally spent hours on this..

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd suggest putting the drum on your throne or a pillow or some such to mute the bottom head. And you need to be a lot more precise in where and how hard you hit the drum.

Also, it would have been better to ask this question in the hardware forum.

I'd suggest putting the drum on your throne or a pillow or some such to mute the bottom head. And you need to be a lot more precise in where and how hard you hit the drum.

Also, it would have been better to ask this question in the hardware forum.

In that video, the drum is sitting on pair of sweatpants, completely muffling the lower head.

I know I'm a bit all over the place in the video, I was trying to watch the phone-camera while striking the head. However, the results are the same unevenness even when striking accurately.

I'm still saving my money for the pneumatic tubes under the rims for the ultimate in tuning ease.

That's a great video you did with proof of the odd frequency readings. I also had gotten the same results when using the TB.

What I've done is start out with muting the bottom head (like you've done), and keep hitting the exact same spot (as best as possible). When a funky reading appeared, I would move the device over to another area of the hoop which then provided more consistent readings - ON THAT PARTICULAR LUG. Let's say you keep it there...you will probably get funky readings on other lugs now. So I suppose you just have to reposition the device whenever that happens - even with hitting the center of the drum head.

I tried explaining this to the TB guys and they were surprised my readings would be that extreme. They thought perhaps 10-20 hz or something. Now you have proof that they could see. It might be a good idea to give them a call. They seem pretty social and easy to talk to. Then you could email them the video you took and see what they say.

From their website http://www.tune-bot.com (978) 640-0184 or email [email protected]

I'm not a tech guy, but I do wonder if the device is truly picking up those readings because of odd harmonics or something.

I exchanged my first one because i thought there was something wrong with it due to this issue...same thing is happenning with the 2nd one.

For now, I just reposition it and keep the 2 year warranty handy...

Last edited:
That's a great video you did with proof of the odd frequency readings. I also had gotten the same results when using the TB.

What I've done is start out with muting the bottom head (like you've done), and keep hitting the exact same spot (as best as possible). When a funky reading appeared, I would move the device over to another area of the hoop which then provided more consistent readings - ON THAT PARTICULAR LUG. Let's say you keep it there...you will probably get funky readings on other lugs now. So I suppose you just have to reposition the device whenever that happens - even with hitting the center of the drum head.

I tried explaining this to the TB guys and they were surprised my readings would be that extreme. They thought perhaps 10-20 hz or something. Now you have proof that they could see. It might be a good idea to give them a call. They seem pretty social and easy to talk to. Then you could email them the video you took and see what they say.

From their website http://www.tune-bot.com (978) 640-0184 or email [email protected]

I'm not a tech guy, but I do wonder if the device is truly picking up those readings because of odd harmonics or something.

I exchanged my first one because i thought there was something wrong with it due to this issue...same thing is happenning with the 2nd one.

For now, I just reposition it and keep the 2 year warranty handy...

Thanks for the reply Sin, glad to see I am not alone in this. I will make another video where my strikes are more accurate and concise, that way they cannot argue that its "user error" And I will email that to them and see what they say. I've had differences as extreme as 100Hz...

And refresh my memory on the warranty, is that Tune-Bot's general warranty or GC's pro coverage you're referring to?

Thanks again!

Okay so I've made a video where I strike the same drum, although this time it is more accurate and the results still waver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ojproa1NOk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks

Yeah - I saw that thing jump about 100 hz. Funny the TB guys were surprised when I brought this up, since it's happenning to at least 2 peeps. That's a good video. BTW, they may have you put the filter on. I'm not sure how that really works, but that's what they told me, especially if you have other noises going on.

Thanks for the reply Sin, glad to see I am not alone in this. I will make another video where my strikes are more accurate and concise, that way they cannot argue that its "user error" And I will email that to them and see what they say. I've had differences as extreme as 100Hz...

And refresh my memory on the warranty, is that Tune-Bot's general warranty or GC's pro coverage you're referring to?

Thanks again!

Hell (I mean heck) I bought the 2 year warranty for $16 bucks. I think the TB's warranty is 1 year. Keep us posted when you chat with them. I'm getting around the funky extremes by repositioning for now...Besides those oddities, it seems to be accurate (judging by my ears).

But I'd really like to know why it's doing that.

But I'd really like to know why it's doing that.

Exactly, I am trying to eliminate these 'variables' that are giving me wonky results.

As far as "filter" mode, essentially, to my understanding it aids in eliminating the over-tones and helps focus on the actual tone of the individual strike. It is of course meant for single lug strikes; not as they refer to it as the "fundamental" tone.

I went ahead and wrote them an email and forwarded that video along with it.

I'll keep the thread updated.

For the most part the device is 'pretty' accurate..but the video I watched on their site was SPOT-ON

I haven't posted anything about the Tune Bot that I received a little over a week ago, but I'm glad I saw this thread before I requested my replacement unit. I was trying to use the one I have this evening doing an eight head replacement on my Ludwig kit. The readings were all over the place and nothing matched what my ears were hearing. I always had the opposite head muffled with either a cloth between the head and the work table or the carpet in the room when trying to use this device. I don't muffle the opposit head most of the time when I'm tuining by ear. I'm still going to work with it when I have the time, but I had to leave it sit so I could get the job done, lol.

I may still buy a second unit just to compare it to the first, but I have a gut feeling that there won't be much accuracy between the two. A lot of companies really cringe when it comes to directly comparing two of the same units back to back. I've seen this a lot with electronic test equipment. I really hate to say this, but it's what I really thought it would be with some of the problems I brought up weeks ago. I'm not through with it though.

Dennis

I only watched the second video. Besides jumping up to 399ish occasionally I don't see it jumping around too wildly.

Can one of the audio guys explain how this thing works? Is it listening to the high overtones or the lower body part of the sound?

Have you tried using something softer like a mallet? I stick a cymbal felt on the end of a stick and that works well. Also silencing the head between strikes might help. Just an idea but I guess you have already tried that.

Haven't received mine yet. Has anyone tried to dampen the head back to total silence before striking again? Just a thought.

As far as "filter" mode, essentially, to my understanding it aids in eliminating the over-tones and helps focus on the actual tone of the individual strike. It is of course meant for single lug strikes
Well, yes, and it's the different overtones that are giving you the different readings you're getting. Find a lug that gives you a more consistent value, the hit filter. It shouldn't be hard to get a baseline note to use for comparison unless the drum is just waaaay out of tune and the overtones are really bad.

In that second video, it looks like you're getting very consistent results around 292 Hz. Just hit filter and go with it.

Can one of the audio guys explain how this thing works? Is it listening to the high overtones or the lower body part of the sound?

I would seek an audience from the honorable Mr. audiotech :)

I may still buy a second unit just to compare it to the first, but I have a gut feeling that there won't be much accuracy between the two. A lot of companies really cringe when it comes to directly comparing two of the same units back to back. I've seen this a lot with electronic test equipment.

Dennis

Wouldn't you have to mount both TB's in exact location, one after another and hit the same spot dead-on to test against each other? I'm thinking there would be some "user" variance in this method.

Either way, would love to hear what your synopsis is as your knowledge in this area is respected on this forum sir...

I've got a 14" floor tom I'll work on later. From what I recall, the lugs that gave me the funky readings were usually 90 degrees from where the TB was positioned. However, I also got funky readings when hitting center of head.

I'm wondering; Are the extreme readings common for a device like this? Could any of it be a defect? HOW DO THEY CALIBRATE or Test this thing at the factory?

Hi guys,
I'm with Overtone Labs, the makers of the tune-bot. Someone told me I should checkout this forum.

Anyway, I've looked at the videos posted. Looking at the videos, I think the bottom head is muffled, is this correct? When the bottom head is muffled don't bother hitting in the center of the head, you cannot get the fundamental when one head is muffled.

The readings around 292 are the correct lug pitches. The 399 is an unwanted higher overtone. The filter mode should eliminate this. Perhaps you thought filter mode was on, it can sometimes double trigger. I know the filter mode was off because the * was not showing or a number in the reference display.

Feel free to email me: [email protected] if any of you have any questions.

I haven't posted anything about the Tune Bot that I received a little over a week ago, but I'm glad I saw this thread before I requested my replacement unit. I was trying to use the one I have this evening doing an eight head replacement on my Ludwig kit. The readings were all over the place and nothing matched what my ears were hearing. I always had the opposite head muffled with either a cloth between the head and the work table or the carpet in the room when trying to use this device. I don't muffle the opposit head most of the time when I'm tuining by ear. I'm still going to work with it when I have the time, but I had to leave it sit so I could get the job done, lol.

I may still buy a second unit just to compare it to the first, but I have a gut feeling that there won't be much accuracy between the two. A lot of companies really cringe when it comes to directly comparing two of the same units back to back. I've seen this a lot with electronic test equipment. I really hate to say this, but it's what I really thought it would be with some of the problems I brought up weeks ago. I'm not through with it though.

Dennis

Dennis,
If you could send me a video, I could try to evaluate what's going on.
[email protected]

I'm definitely paying attention to this thread as I'm considering getting a tune bot. I hope not much of this is solved through PM's as I'd like to be privy to as much information as possible and this thread could serve that purpose.

Back