WFD coming again to Summer NAMM in Nashville

My sponsor has been talking about it but I don't think it's going to happen. Have a great time though, it really is like the journey to Mecca isn't it?

Only one day left and counting! Who all from DW is coming out to hang with us at WFD?
I hope everyone can come............:)

Fasten those seat belts and crank those mowers!

May The Fastest Drummer WIN!

Just found this news feature about last week's world final held at Nashville NAMM. It's kind of interesting because you get to see the great variety of competitors who come from everywhere. Of course you can also see who is going to do well or not so well...or maybe you're just a kid out for a good time. The comp has always taken all comers alongside the store comp or regional comp winners who pretty much always win. But the walk ons in this instance could only show up on the open day which was Saturday. So the others had the advantage of 3 days of trials where you could qualify early and just practice up carefully.

http://www.marshfieldnewsherald.com/videonetwork/1077497342001/World-s-Fastest-Drummer-Competition

The feet comp was very strong this year with four guys having close to an equal shot of winning. The hands comp was pretty much owned this time by the Australian champion who scored 1061 in the prelims and 995 in the finals (when the guys always tighten up a little).

It was a lot of fun hosting this year with doubles champ Eric Okamoto and I wasn't sure at first how I was going to react to something I had been away from for over 3 years. But it was so relaxing this time because I just came to have fun and had absolutely nothing to prove...and it was a wonderful way to hit the ground running on the NAMM floor business wise. Of course Summer NAMM is probably only a third the size of Winter NAMM.

I even attempted my first run in 3 years (stupidly without a warm up) and was surprised that I did fairly decent.

Overall a nice comeback for the old gang and I wish them all the very best as the newest generation of competitors takes over.

Matt, what's the name of the Aussie? I've googled and can't find much at all.

I even attempted my first run in 3 years (stupidly without a warm up) and was surprised that I did fairly decent.

Glad you mentioned this.....as I was reading my first thought was, I wonder if he's given it a run for old times sake. Were you far from the mark set in your glory days?

Matt, what's the name of the Aussie? I've googled and can't find much at all.
His name is Joey Moujalli, age 24 from Sydney...a really great guy who mostly got into speed drumming to solicit people to give money for cancer research. He had all these people back home donating dollars for every stroke he made in prelims and finals. WFD pub always runs about a week late. His name will be cropping up in the primary media very soon. He had a beautiful stroke for sure.

Glad you mentioned this.....as I was reading my first thought was, I wonder if he's given it a run for old times sake. Were you far from the mark set in your glory days?
Oh yeah I was definitely off the mark lol, but could have maybe won some of the WFD finals had I showed up as a newcomer. And I absolutely was not going to try one of those 5 minute endurance runs. To me that record is the most physically challenging and the one I remain the most proud of.

It was no big deal I guess. What basically happens is you see all those people doing runs then you feel like you just want to go up there too. When I finished the run there were people wanting me to warm up properly then start making real attempts... but that's not why I was there and was in no shape to set a record... so why get in the way of Joey's thing? It was his time not mine. It was just nice to be invited back for old times and help usher in the new era.

Besides seeing my video report, currently airing on Drummer Cafe TV, from the WFD World Finals 2011, which features excerpts from each contestant's performance as well as the full performances of the first place winners in "Fastest Hands" and "Fastest Feet," ... you might want to check out the Drummer Cafe featured article, World's Fastest Drummer: WFD World Finals 2011, which includes the video report as well as all of the stats from the Top Ten finalists in both the "Fastest Hands" and "Fastest Feet" competitions.

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/worlds-fastest-drummer-wfd-world-finals-2011.html

Enjoy!

Hey guys, Joey here... sorry on the late reply. NAMM was a lot of fun and my WFD experience and win is one I'll never forget. Everyone I met there from Boo, to Matt were all great, humble and I can say it was an honour to meet you all and I know I've made friends for life. Now Im back home in Sydney with a main focus to continue with my "Drum against Cancer" charity using the Drum-o-meter. Please join the group in facebook, search "drum against cancer - beating cancer with a beat"

Thanks to everyone. Matt, was an honour man. see you at the winter finals. Boo you are the man. Thank you for everything you have done for me. I appreciate it all with my heart over.

Peace. happy Drumming.
Joey - WFD champ 2011

Joey the pleasure was all mine. It was cool to reconnect with an old pastime, meet some great new people, and especially watch your skills employed in benefit of such a great cause. You have GREAT hands and I hope you will post here for other things too :)

Back