Metal players only: solid or nitro throne?

I just got rid of a nitro because it was screwing up my double bass. Once I built up speed I would lose a bit of accuracy because the throne would bounce with me. So I borrowed a pork pie round and loved it so much that I bought my own. Just so you know I put this in my other post, Musicians Friend is giving 20.00 off 150.00-250.00 purchases until 3/31 so I picked up the Pork Pie w free shipping for 139.00 just enter WANT into the coupon box. And I agree with the buy domestic mindset. I use DW and now Pork Pie and Gretsch Drums. Even though my series is made in China the money still goes back to an American company. If I could afford em I would play pork pie's but they bee pretty expensive.
Oh and the issue with the nitro might not effect you but when I switched from heel up is when it really started to annoy me. If you plant yourself you could be fine with a nitro but i shift my feets a lot.

Even though my series is made in China the money still goes back to an American company. If I could afford em I would play pork pie's but they bee pretty expensive.
Oh and the issue with the nitro might not effect you but when I switched from heel up is when it really started to annoy me. If you plant yourself you could be fine with a nitro but i shift my feets a lot.

While I do preach buy domestic or American when possible, there will always be exception. Lord knows I have recently contributed a staggering amount of money to the GNP of Switzerland with all my new Paistes. My dollars have become Euros. I don't feel so bad, because my kit and a lot of my hardware is 100% made in USA.

But on the second note, you have pointed out what I should have. The most annoying, and pronounced effect of moving and bouncing occurs when modulating from heel down (you are basically planted this way) to heel up, and then accelerating your playing. I would *not* recommend a nitro to a new person learning double kick for metal playing for that reason.

Buying American (or domestic for any countries citizens) is like voting. One or two may not be a big deal. But if every drummer than was on this forum bought domestic gear, and supported their local store it would make a difference.

Sabian, Ayotte and GM from Canada right? It is good to keep money at home. USA and Canadian economies are so intertwined that the lines blur and the money spreads across North America.

Besides, I hold Ayotte in higher esteem than many drum companies. If I were plunking down $4k on a maple kit, I'd look to Ayotte, DW, Gretsch or Ludwig. There is no need for everything I spend to go overseas.

Ayotte is great quality and it might be pricey brand new. But I got a 3 piece with wood hoops on craigslist used for 1300. Wood hoops is a must have on those kits imo, I've played one kit with steel. Actually I live about an hour drive away from their factory, and I've even visited their old factory and show room in Vancouver.

My GM was made in the States. I used to drive a Chevy Iroc Camaro but now I have a late 80's Cadillac fleetwood. I got the caddie for very little and its in great shape. Huge car, perfect for hauling equipment, driving, listening to music and just sitting in.

Back