Steve Gadd - Crazy Army

mikkeydee

i found that in the orginal crazy army each roll is a seven stroke roll starting with left hand. but gadd is playing a five stroke roll starting right handed.
this sucks!

Re: steve gadd crazy army

are you sure he is? it just doesn't sound right with 5 strokes no matter how i try it.

for everone's info here she is...

crazyarmy.jpg

I always thought it was a 4 stroke roll. Also thank you for the transcription.

No, it is a seven stroke roll started with the left hand. Thats how it is.

Although Gadd uses the seven stroke roll you shouldn't bother too much about it. It all depends on the tempo you play in, like if you play it really fast you could do a five stroke roll, and if you play it really slow you would want to make it a nine stroke roll. What matters is that your roll is consistent.

perhaps but i think this piece only works between a narrow margin of tempos. too fast and the flams interfere with the diddles and you get muck. if anything this piece works better slower than gadd's tempo rather than faster. gadd plays it as fast perhaps as it should go and still groove.

j

I agree. I actually heard a drum line do a small rendition of crazy army, but it was much faster and it was 5 stroke rolls instead of 7's. It was pretty cool, but i didnt realize it was crazy army until the 3rd time i heard it. I prefer it slower like gadd plays it.

I don't mean any disrespect. I know Steve Gadd is very important to a lot of people. I never really went through a Gadd phase and honestly don't understand why this piece is so popular. Is it from something else? Is it referring to another thing I don't know about? I've listened to this a lot and maybe I'm looking for something that's not there. I know he has a great feel and all that, but it's almost like there is supposed to be something magical about his playing and this piece in particular that I'm just not getting.

Again, I know Gadd is a prolific drummer and I'm not trying to start anything, just honestly looking for some insight.

Thanks!

I don't mean any disrespect. I know Steve Gadd is very important to a lot of people. I never really went through a Gadd phase and honestly don't understand why this piece is so popular. Is it from something else? Is it referring to another thing I don't know about? I've listened to this a lot and maybe I'm looking for something that's not there. I know he has a great feel and all that, but it's almost like there is supposed to be something magical about his playing and this piece in particular that I'm just not getting.

Again, I know Gadd is a prolific drummer and I'm not trying to start anything, just honestly looking for some insight.

Thanks!

I have to say I agree. I never was drawn to Gadd's soloing in general. What turns me off the most is simply the tuning. I cant stand it.

Well I think the thing about Steve Gadd is that he can use dynamics so well, that anything simple sounds great! You can learn that it's not getting the most notes in a measure that makes you good, but how well you can present yourself in that one measure. I think Steve Gadd's Crazy Army is great because he adds some creativity in the snare piece, and uses it as an intro. Some people don't like Steve Gadd's solos because, well some people like apples and some people like bananas. Same thing.

good answer. and some folks like fruit salad.

sometimes the reasons why something artistic is good cannot be expressed in words. sometimes words and images just cannot capture the notion. gadd's playing of crazy is beautiful. why? because it sounds beautiful to me. sometimes, that's more than enough.

j

Yes, isn't music supposed to be something to enjoy? Gadd's playing is great because you can enjoy the music.

Got it... Thanks guys. Again, I think he's a fine player. I just didn't want to be missing something else.

Re: Gadd's crazy army lick?

thankx for the link. should be a good exercise.

Missing the bass drum part, wont be hard to write it in, but it makes if for me when he kicks that in!

Back