Vinnie Colaiuta

Re: Vinnie Colauita

drumroll888 said:
If I can remember correctly , I think it was after that show that Weckl was considering chaging his technical approach , because of what he saw of Vinnie .

Weckl changing his approach cause of Vinnie ...ahhhh - if you say so.....

Don't get me wrong - I respect Vinnie's abilities as a player but c'mon now....Weckl and Vinnie has two different styles and if there is anyone Dave looks up to its Gadd...

Its pretty funny how everyone can watch the same video and analyze chops entirely different than another...

LinearDrummer said:
Weckl changing his approach cause of Vinnie ...ahhhh - if you say so.....

Don't get me wrong - I respect Vinnie's abilities as a player but c'mon now....Weckl and Vinnie has two different styles and if there is anyone Dave looks up to its Gadd...

Its pretty funny how everyone can watch the same video and analyze chops entirely different than another...

From what I remember in a Weckl interview ( discussing his change to the Gruber method ) , he mentioned being impressed with Vinnie's looser technical approach after that show , and got Weckl thinking about his technique .

Take that for what it is ( you can do your own homework on it , and I don't throw this out there to just hear myself talk , or to impress you ) , but that's what I've read on it .

Gadd is to Weckl as is Tony Williams is to Vinnie . Again , do your own homework on it , before dismissing anything .

Fair enough - I've read alot of Weckl interviews and never saw that..but I'll take your word for it....

I think we'll both agree that they may share a very technical based approach but they are two entirely different players....each with their own unique voice.......

Vinnie was in concert with Robin Ford in Maui a while back and I was able to catch him during sound check...AMAZING! He was more than willing to take pictures with my friend and I after his "warm up". I wouldnt say he wanted to hold a detailed conversation with us about paradiddles, triplets and his overall concept of drumming, but he was cool with some small talk and pics. overall a cool guy!

Melvin said:
I like to call Vinnie "The Alien". His so damn good aaahhh!!!
or is it the fact that you cant pronounce his last name jk jk jk.

I just listened to The System has Failed by Megadeth, on which Vinnie performed. He is like a chameleon; he can perform in so many different styles and genres. The drum work is not very technically demanding, but Vinnie did an excellent job. Also, his work with Frank Zappa is simply astounding. His name is in a song by Zappa called "Catholic Girls". The lines read:

"They're learning to blow
All the Catholic Boys
Warren Cuccurullo
Catholic Boys
Vinnie Colaiuta"
(pronounced Coh lee UT uh)
- Marc

I went to a clinic that Vinnie gave a few years back. He and Steve Smith were roommates at Berklee. He talked about staying up late at night hitting ride cymbals (he and Steve) until the wee hours in the morning. He said that he thought Steve had a little better ride cymbal technique than he did. A very humble guy considering how good he is.

He also is wearing a "Stuff" t-shirt (Steve gadd's NYC band back in the late 70s/early 80s)for that show. My friend got a copy of the whole thing (German TV special, "We Don't Mess Around") and it's, like anything Zappa, hilariously entertaining and seriously badass.

This is from that same show - Zappa wanted to exploit Vinnie's ability to make a seal/walrus sound and tells him to do a seal call drum solo. The keyboardist Tommy Mars joins in midway on storytelling and accordion.

"Seal Call Fusion Music" -- this should be required listening for all musicians -

Attachments

• 09 Seal Call Fusion Music.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 956

Vinnie is indeed an awesome drum, but the solos I've seen him do are too over-the-top for my taste. I'd prefer a nice groove-oriented solo from Keith Carlock rather than Vinnie's ridiculous chops solos.

jmontroy said:
Vinnie is indeed an awesome drum, but the solos I've seen him do are too over-the-top for my taste. I'd prefer a nice groove-oriented solo from Keith Carlock rather than Vinnie's ridiculous chops solos.

I'd agree with this statement if it were said about nearly any other drummer, but I can never hold that against Vinnie. I don't need him to always play tastefully and appropriately for the style; his chops are just so damn entertaining that he's always a pleasure to watch. And note the 'watch'.

hey,the cat is human! (but what a human,eh?) who among us that has played out live enough HASN'T at one time or another dropped a stick? but notice how cool his recovery was? no biggie just keep playing!

After seeing him with Sting ten years ago, I TRIED to pick out a misplayed note SOMEWHERE. Didn't happen.

The Randy Waldman album "Wigged Out" has one of the most amazing solos (with a piano vamp) I've ever heard on it.

The Zappa albums were perhaps his best... he was the only drummer Frank even mentioned in his book, even though Wackerman spent 12 years with his band. The reason he and Jeff Berlin were fired from Frank's band is legendary, too. Interesting note: Vinnie used Terry Bozzio's kit to try out for Zappa.... damn I wish that was video taped!!

The somewhat recent Megadeth album he cut and the Warren Cuccurullo "Thanks to Frank" records reaffirm his being king of the versitile, being able to play heavy rock as well as ANYbody.

If Tony Williams is God.. Vinnie is Jesus!

;)

KzSgDrummer said:
So... how DID Vinnie get fired from the band?

Jeff Berlin and Vinnie called Frank's management and tried to make a secret deal with the attitude of "don't tell the other guys" . Frank cancelled the use of the rock band with the orchestra and just finished the classical tour without them. And he never employed Vinnie's services again.

Oh, and after having just read that chapter in the "Real Frank Zappa Book", it appears as if Frank does mention Chad Wackerman.

Last edited:

Well, yea, Vinnie's chops are ridiculously fun to watch, but still, I've never seen him truly groove at all in a solo. Everyone does their solos diffierently, but a nonstop barrage of chops gives me a headache, no matter how impressive it is.

NUTHA JASON said:
i'm sorry but he was no way the best in that battle. they were all great and different. to own a battle, as you put it, you have to be clearly above the other drummers league. besides gadd does less in that battle but he is solid ...SOLID. THAT BASS DRUMMING FIGURE HE DOES OVER THE CADET STUFF IS SOOOOOO COOL. and did you hear the audience when he goes onto his cowbell?

vinnie is a great drummer.... that is all.

j
You must not have seen the same vid that I saw. As much as I respect gadd and weckle they are just not as versatile or as talented. Gadd has had his time as a great innovater and weckle was just to close to vinnie in age to not stand in his shadow. I saw vinnie two nights ago in orlando with jeff beck and I have to say the he played with the vigor of a twenty year old. And the same goes for the 89 buddy vid, he possesed a command of the drums that I haven't seen before. He seemed to be in a competition with his self every he got a chance to solo outdoing the phrase before. The substance in his playing was so superior how could you not see it?

Back