Advertisements Everywhere

Fabo, advertising is usually a bit of a trial but I find it worse on TV and radio where you totally lose content for a while than the web, where you can ignore or dismiss the ads pretty easily. I just hate super intense, intrusive ads and ads that make a noise when you're listening to music. Google Adsense is no drama - the ads just benignly sit there and how much you interact is totally your choice.

Yeah... sometimes during commercial break I completely forget which show I was watching. It can be bad online even with firefox. Sometimes I encounter adds that will pass the pop up blocker and when you try to close them they have another pop up asking you "OMG ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT???"

Congrats Polly :)

As for the ads, there's a way to be rid of them:

1. Get Firefox. It's free and awesome.
2. When installed, install the Adblock Plus add-on
3. Enjoy ad-free surfing.

Thanks for the suggestion. As for supporting Drummerworld with a donation (in contrast to ads, which support Drummerworld by paying for space), here's anyone or someone can do it:

1. Get a PayPal account. It's free to set up an account and awesome.

2. When your account is valid, go to this page: http://www.drummerworld.com/author.html

3. Enjoy the good feeling of contributing the financial needs of Drummerworld.

I want to know how the heck it is that I can go to Home Depot, come home and open DW and right there at the top advert banner and all my email account pages, etc are full of Home Depot ads. How does the internet know I just went to Home Depot?

The internet's really smart...I'm not sure exactly how it happens, but pretty much all advertisements you see are not random...When I go to school in NYC, there are a lot of local NY ads. Now I'm in Italy, and pretty much all ads from any site (youtube, nfl.com, nytimes, etc) are in Italian. Facebook is very very smart as well. It takes information from your profile regarding interests, relationship status, etc and decides to put ads up that cater toward these interests. I'm also pretty sure that whenever you buy things online, the internet remembers what you bought, and there is a high chance that you will find ads that are related to the item you just bought.

It's pretty cool I think.

It's pretty cool I think.

I find it more of an invasion of privacy than cool. Can't buy a wrench without someone knowing about it and then throwing a dozen adds in front of you after because you got a certain product.

I find it more of an invasion of privacy than cool. Can't buy a wrench without someone knowing about it and then throwing a dozen adds in front of you after because you got a certain product.

Well, in my opinion, it's terribly efficient and most likely tenfold more effective than blind advertising. Think about it, if the internet didn't know your interests, your location and what you buy, you would be getting extremely random ads, most of them not pertaining to you. Say you're a college student and you might be getting ads for i don't know, male enhancement, house improvement products etc. Stuff that you would never think about buying at that time in your life.

On the business side, all those advertising dollars are thoroughly wasted on that individual and the advertisers get no return on that wasted money. That's just bad business. Also, that individual will probably be not only extremely annoyed by seeing ads that he can't relate to, but confused as well. Wouldn't you rather be seeing something that at least in some respect relates to you?

On the flip side, adaptable advertising is extremely efficient because you are reaching a market that, based on their actions (an extremely reliable source for finding out what interests them), will have the highest chance of responding to an online advertisement because you're "catering" to their interests. It's sort of like a system of recommendations, not unlike the recommendations youtube gives you based on past videos you've watched. It's kind of like saying, "oh, so you've bought that? Then you might like this!!"

The fact that the internet somehow is able to dissect all this information on everyone in an instant and "recommend" relatable products in the form of advertisements, i'd say is pretty cool.

It can't be an invasion of privacy since you go to the internet, it doesn't come to you.

I receive countless numbers of advertisements a day, whether on the internet or anywhere outside of it. The majority of them do not apply to me, but the most noticeable ones are the ones that do. I find it a bit of an intrusion if companies are using my personal information to try to persuade me to give them my money. On the internet they normally base it off of your IP address, I'm fine with that when it comes to search engines since they give more relevant information. I guess it's not a serious problem if the adds don't affect you very much, but I've seen some people who feel the need to go out and purchase a product or live up to a certain ideal set by an advertisement or company. I find it disturbing that people can't always make choices for themselves when it comes to personal purchases.

It can't be an invasion of privacy since you go to the internet, it doesn't come to you.

Advertisements come to me. I never seek out tips on how to get jacked in 3 weeks or search for advice on what medicine I should be using to loose weight.

How do you learn about new products if you don't like ads?
And guess what it's going to get worse not better.

How do you learn about new products if you don't like ads?
And guess what it's going to get worse not better.

I'm not a mass consumer, but when I have interest in something (if the company does its job and produces a good product it shouldn't be so dependent on advertising) I search on my own for the product and keep myself updated on any new modifications or versions.

And I understand it's getting worse.

Back