best afrocuban album?

Vast area. Are you looking for the earthy, folkloric stuff? Anything by Lazaro Ros, especially Olorun. For less religious stuff, Munequitos de Matanzas, especially Oyelos de Nuevo. 1950s lounge and pop? Try Machito and His Afro-Cuban Orchestra or Perez Prado. Contemporary jazz? I dig Cachao. More contemporary? Irakere is the definitive fusion group. Hip-hop? Check out Obsession.

So much out there ...

There is no such thing. Some modern bands to check out: Paulito FG. El Medico de la salsa. Klimax. Los van van. NG La banda. Bamboleo. Manolito y su Trabuco. Azucar. Los que son son. Tirso Duarte etc.

Vast area. Are you looking for the earthy, folkloric stuff? Anything by Lazaro Ros, especially Olorun. For less religious stuff, Munequitos de Matanzas, especially Oyelos de Nuevo. 1950s lounge and pop? Try Machito and His Afro-Cuban Orchestra or Perez Prado. Contemporary jazz? I dig Cachao. More contemporary? Irakere is the definitive fusion group. Hip-hop? Check out Obsession.

So much out there ...

Don't forget Chico O'Farrill and his orchestra :)

Can't go wrong with Tito Puente :)

I strongly recommend up to date modern bands. Become familiar with them and you may be able to see them on tour. Guys like Tito no longer tour. Although they were great.

Here is a vid of Paulito FG. It is great just to watch the backing vocalists! The song is okay. I really post it for the backing singer on the left. WOW! I have not heard this live. I have no sound on my pc. I've heard the LP version only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x7kxTYSJAo

I strongly recommend up to date modern bands. Become familiar with them and you may be able to see them on tour.

Then I strongly suggest checking out Chuchito Valdes. I saw him at the Green Mill here in Chicago about two months ago and it was amazing. Keep an eye out for him. You won't be disappointed, trust me. :)

Then I strongly suggest checking out Chuchito Valdes. I saw him at the Green Mill here in Chicago about two months ago and it was amazing. Keep an eye out for him. You won't be disappointed, trust me. :)

He's awesome.

Pity Tito no longers performs. I would have loved to see him. I liked him on the Simpsons!

That reminds me, a student of mine still has my Tito Puente Jim Payne timbale book. Must get it back.

Also check out the Afro Cuban web.

http://afrocubaweb.com/

Well, the reason Tito no longer plays is because he passed away 10 years ago.

If I had to pick a best album, I'd probably pick Dance Mania, by Tito Puente. It's a good place to start if you're just getting into Latin music.

Some other (more recent) recommendations:
Eddie Palmieri - Listen Here
Poncho Sanchez - Out of Sight
Michel Camilo - Thru My Eyes
Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez - Italuba

im looking for roots, folkloric stuff, old school afrocuban and some classic albums with best drums on

Back