Relocating drums question

FrontierGibberish

My wife and daughter are out of town for the next ten days so I have the house to myself. Currently my kit is in our unfinished basement where I have a crude setup for me and the guys I jam with. With the house to myself I want to move my kit to our unused formal living room which is warm and carpeted. My question is, how much louder will my drums be when I move them to the floor level of the house? And the guitars? There is about 30 feet between my house and the neighbors on both sides. My house is a wood house - not brick or stone. Would throwing blankets over windows help? Thanks in advance.

MM

It's impossible to say for sure without knowing more about the construction of your house, the basement, and living room.

But my guess is it would be noticeably louder.

Blankets over the windows might muffle a bit of the high end, but will do nothing for the low end, which will carry much further.

It's impossible to say for sure without knowing more about the construction of your house, the basement, and living room.

But my guess is it would be noticeably louder.

Blankets over the windows might muffle a bit of the high end, but will do nothing for the low end, which will carry much further.

Thanks for the quick reply. Wish I could give more house details but I am an I.T. guy who is ignorant about house stuff. I do know the basement has a concrete floor and walls. When we are playing at 11 you can barely hear us from the neighbors front step. Think I will get some space heaters.

Louder to the neighbors but maybe less inside with the drapes, carpet etc. You may not like the sound.

I'd just go ahead and do it. This doesn't happen that often. I'd just do it and if the fuzz get called, then move them. Until that point, you work hard to be able to have a single family home, and with home ownership come privileges. Take them and think of Bobby McFerrin's mantra.

Back