Drummers - What sets *you* apart ?

So I've been told:

I try to approximate an A minor chord on my toms' tuning (FT: A, MT: C , HT: E). Other than that I'm in the underconfident column with some of the other posters. Even when someone asks if I give lessons after a gig that I just finished, all I see sometimes is the things that I can't do.

I learned to compose, record and trigger (live) backing tracks (keys, horns, rhythm guitar) on an SPD-SX

I do up to eight parts to help fill in our 3 piece sound. Usually the individual parts are a few measured long.

I know that it's being done out there but I don't know to what extent. I also know it's cheating but, I justify it somehow :) I'd much rather have a good keyboard player but, ......whatcha gonna do?

2012-09-29_10-15-28_724.jpg

Around my local scene, I think it's my willingness to play whatever/however the artist hiring me wants me to play. Sometimes, that means helping the artist figure out what s/he wants, because the language of the drums is not something every musician is fluent in. It means putting aside any ego or selfish aims and just playing what is required. Even if I don't think it works or sounds particularly good. If it's what the artist wants, I'll play it with all the conviction I can muster.

What sets me apart...let's see:

1. I am left-handed.
2. Everything I play in a gig or concert context, I try to give the best performance that I can in that moment (no matter the style).
3. I''ve had comments from musicians that tell me I play what they would hear a drummer play in a song. That what I play is what they would play if they had the technique, know-how, etc. It's a compliment to my approach to the instrument. I learned piano before I ever picked up a stick, so I have that angle going for me.
4.My sight-reading ability is such that I can make it sound like I'm not sight-reading. It's a skill I am proud of working on for the last how many years I've been reading drum notation...combined with some natural ability, I'll cop to that...

What sets me apart? Well, I have both negative and positive reasons as to why I'm set apart from most young drummers in my area. For one, I'm self taught, which is hard to come across in my town, and is arguably a good or bad thing. I also enjoy playing drums for almost any genre of music I happen to hear. I like having a small set up too, a lot cymbals and toms just bothers me for some reason. I work well with band mates, and never show up late to any practices...Then you come across all my terrible habits and quirks, I have the tendency to accidentally over play a song if I'm not paying attention. As well as having very unsteady hands, that tend to slip up and drop my drum sticks a lot. Despite this I feel as if I keep practicing what I love I will overcome these problems and hopefully just have positive outlooks on as to way I am set apart!:)

Back