Your drumming "thing"?

Playing hi-hat up beats with my left foot in a half-time groove (BOOM *chik* BAP! *chik* ba-BOOM *chik BAP! *chik*). I also like to make little four-beat 32nd note bass drum fills in place of tom or snare stuff (but I stole that from Danny Carey, so maybe that one don't count!)

Playing hi-hat up beats with my left foot in a half-time groove (BOOM *chik* BAP! *chik* ba-BOOM *chik BAP! *chik*).

I do this too quite a bit. I have a lot of little quirks (some I picked up, the others came from cool accidents.) I sometimes like to signal a new section by crashing on 2 instead of 1. That was something that must've come from Keith Moon. I keep the fills quite a bit more simple, but it seems to spice up the rhythm without loosing the groove.

-Kyle

I was at a concert the other week and it struck me how even though we, as drummers, sometimes play relatively repetitive parts compared to the rest of the band (although the bass player's got it worse, haha), each drummer seems to find a way to put his unique spin on his playing. For example, I find that I often put in a hi-hat hit right before most of my crash hits (chk-CRASH!). Some players are very deliberate and exact and some are more extravagant and whatnot, even when playing the same song. So my question to everyone is, what do you do in your playing to add your own personal "flair"? What makes your playing your playing? I'm curious to see the responses.

Yes, I do this sometimes and sometimes use the bells on the other cymbals, I think the HI-hat has the most sounds it can make, if it is closed really tightly it sounds different if it is closed normally it sounds different if it is splashed with the pedal or hit openly or hit on the edge closed or hit on the edge half open or choked with one hand so its half open and hit on the edge, or hit on the bell, it is basically just a small crash cymbal (or two)

The ride can be used as a crash too but sometimes it does not blend in so well.

Back