My Unix Bubinga Stave Kit - Chocolate Thunda!

It looks good.. have you been able to adjust to the 12 in a different location.

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I'm not entirely sold on this setup, I still find a 4pc. more comfortable and fitting to my style...I'm already thinking about dropping back to that. :p

The problem with having more toms in your setup is that you want to actually *use* them.

Here's a few mildly interesting clips from a little jam session on Thu. w/ my new guitarist. We haven't played together much so we're just tryin' to find our mojo. The "creeps" clip uses the toms quite a bit using my Regal Tip Blasticks. I put my coated G2s (over clear G1) on the toms just to compare them to the coated/clear ambassadors.

Boy , They sound Great !!!!!

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I'm not entirely sold on this setup, I still find a 4pc. more comfortable and fitting to my style...I'm already thinking about dropping back to that. :p

The problem with having more toms in your setup is that you want to actually *use* them.

And thats a bad thing ? :)

Congrats Z, I havent heard it yet due to pc trouble, but I think I d be so paranoid about scratching or nicking that beautiful finish. I d have caution tape all around and a big KEEP AWAY sign, : D

And thats a bad thing ? :)

Yes and no.

I like a 4pc. It remains to be seen if I have the patience to stick w/ this setup and let it become part of me, like a 4pc. setup has.

Is it worth hauling another 12 lb. DW tom stand around, as well as an extra tom? Not that I'm hauling anything right now...but it won't be long before I am again.

Congrats Z, I havent heard it yet due to pc trouble, but I think I d be so paranoid about scratching or nicking that beautiful finish. I d have caution tape all around and a big KEEP AWAY sign, : D

Actually I DID ding the 12" tom already and put a nice 1/8"x1/8" nick just to the right of the "Unix" logo. I was messing around, moving the stand around trying to get it into position and smacked it on the hoop of the floor tom.

A little dab with a brown sharpie and a smear of the finger...poof...I can't even find it now!

Alright, here's a really *bad* recording of me warming up the other night, after getting the kit setup in its current order. This isn't meant to be any type of structured solo that makes any sense...it's just discordant noise while puttering around the kit.

I'm using VF Akira Jimbo sig. sticks which I've decided I don't like. They're very top-heavy so all of this playing is sloppier than my usual stuff. I'll post more when I get the drums tuned better and get comfortable w/ a 5-pc. setup.

I wish I had more recordings of the kick...it's the only drum I'm really happy with my tuning on, so far.

Kit sounds awesome, Vin. The playing 'aint too shabby either. Nice tom work with solid left foot time. Did I hear a bass drum in there? ...don't think so

Hey Z,
The drums sound great! As far as the multitude of toms, so what. I like playing a 2 up, or even 3 up. It doesn't mean I have to use them on every roll. I like having all the different "voices" when needed.

No I know...I just like my playing on a 4pc. better. It's a comfort thing, mostly. I dropped it back down last night and tossed the coated ambassadors back on the toms, too.

I'll have some pics tomorrow with my snazzy new mystery snare and AAX hats.

Kit sounds awesome, Vin. The playing 'aint too shabby either. Nice tom work with solid left foot time. Did I hear a bass drum in there? ...don't think so

Thanks Abe! Every night I spend an hour warming up, doing rudiments, etc. before I play - keeping a click on and keeping my left foot going. It's made a huge difference in my overall coordination and time.

I have to thank DMC for that...I was lazy w/ my left foot until he pounded the importance of left-foot timekeeping into my head. ;) These forums and the people here are invaluable, I tell ya.

I'm not sure which clip ya listened to but on the solo-ish stuff, nah, not a lot of kick. I've actually started practicing 4-way fills and solo ideas to bring the right foot in more on stuff like that - ya know, treat it like another tom instead of just a kick drum.

Thanks Abe! Every night I spend an hour warming up, doing rudiments, etc. before I play - keeping a click on and keeping my left foot going. It's made a huge difference in my overall coordination and time.

I have to thank DMC for that...I was lazy w/ my left foot until he pounded the importance of left-foot timekeeping into my head. ;) These forums and the people here are invaluable, I tell ya.

I'm not sure which clip ya listened to but on the solo-ish stuff, nah, not a lot of kick. I've actually started practicing 4-way fills and solo ideas to bring the right foot in more on stuff like that - ya know, treat it like another tom instead of just a kick drum.

Its was the one with tom fills with the hat ostinato. What helped me bridge the left foot independence thing big time, was not to think of it at all. Literally.

Good advice from DMC... not to use a limb at all is such a waste. Not to mention all the stuff you can do against simple chk chk quarter notes. Keep at it , bud.

Its was the one with tom fills with the hat ostinato. What helped me bridge the left foot independence thing big time, was not to think of it at all. Literally.

Good advice from DMC... not to use a limb at all is such a waste. Not to mention all the stuff you can do against simple chk chk quarter notes. Keep at it , bud.

Definitely. I'm at that point now...it's just there and I almost don't even hear it unless I want to. I'm working on linear patterns now to create more interesting accents and textures instead of just pumping quarter or eighth notes. The hats are my favorite part of the kit.

Definitely. I'm at that point now...it's just there and I almost don't even hear it unless I want to. I'm working on linear patterns now to create more interesting accents and textures instead of just pumping quarter or eighth notes. The hats are my favorite part of the kit.

So, when do we get to hear the iron-wood vs bubinga drum battle ??? Huh huh huh ???

Well now...what's that peeking out from behind my kit? (And no, I don't mean the beer...)

Attachments

• DSC05953.JPG
    DSC05953.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 440
i'm gonna try and remember this little gem...
and come on zambizzi, details man! give us details!

3mm of solid, stainless steel baby! I got my Keplinger in the mail today...here's a couple more pics.

Attachments

• DSC05954.JPG
    DSC05954.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC05952.JPG
    DSC05952.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 15,323
just beautiful zambizzi, sharp, clean lines and nicely contrast's the bubinga shells around it, an already incredible kit getting better and better!
and could'nt help but notice the emblem - is Ayotte made in Quebec?
congrats, looks awsome man!

just beautiful zambizzi, sharp, clean lines and nicely contrast's the bubinga shells around it, an already incredible kit getting better and better!
and could'nt help but notice the emblem - is Ayotte made in Quebec?
congrats, looks awsome man!

Thanks! It's an amazing drum...powerful, fat, nice tone...I'm impressed. It's got very strange edges - they're rounded inward from the outside edge of the drum. It tuned up very quickly and easily.

I just checked the Ayotte web site, they're in Abbotsford, BC.

I thought it'd be cool to compare the lugs to Franks, too. In all honesty, I like Frank's better. They're far more minimalist and only require one hole to be drilled into the shell. Also, they come off much easier than the Ayotte lugs.

I thought it'd be cool to compare the lugs to Franks, too. In all honesty, I like Frank's better. They're far more minimalist and only require one hole to be drilled into the shell. Also, they come off much easier than the Ayotte lugs.

yah - but yours looks cooler, and we're all about the eye candy 'round here : )

Back