Chad Smith

Dr Drums

Pioneer Member
I expect this thread to have all kinds of reactions, because i heard lots of opinions about Chad Smith.

Chad Smith: imo one of the biggest groovers of all times, not to talk about his unbeliveble feel and sound.
His technique is not really it, and he's not a drummer that stands for all the requests, but i think that his unique groove and feel really overcomes it.

So go ahead, give it all up

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Chad_Smith.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

I love chad smith's style, I would think twice about arguing his technic, just listen One Hot Minute.......it's sick.
I think he's the drummer who has the strongest groove among all the "Funkpunkrock" emergence in the early 90's. For sure it doesn't sound so demonstrative technicaly on certain album (specially the last one that I really disappriciate), but to play it so powerfully I'm sure he's got an a**kicking one. His technical discretion on studio albums reminds me a bit Ian Paice who then in live was a real monster. I believe it's the same with Chad.
I personnaly love his style and sound much more than Brain Mantia, Mike Bordin or Brad Wilk................................but not Tim Alexander hehee (he remains my personal ultimate master).
Anyway try his Pearl signature snare, it's cheap, cutting and loud.

i think hes a bit over-rated, but hes got some tight grooves, but nothing real special.

Bonham to the moon said:
i think hes a bit over-rated, but hes got some tight grooves, but nothing real special.

True...he is no super hero in my book

Chad Smith is a beast. I think he is great drummer. He has an excellent sense of time and pocket. He also hits extremely hard. He bridges the gap quite well between rock and funk. Now I dislike the RHCP's direction in music in the last few years. Their music lacks the balls it once had. The newer music is terribly overproduced. All that aside I think Chad Smith deserves credit, the guy can play.

Superlow said:
Now I dislike the RHCP's direction in music in the last few years. Their music lacks the balls it once had. The newer music is terribly overproduced. All that aside I think Chad Smith deserves credit, the guy can play.

Even though Red Hot is my fav band, i couldnt agree more.
their new meterial is REALLY over produced and is really on the wrong track. Their older stuff is y i love them so much.
even though that imo, Chad is still a real monster in the newer stuff, he becomes above all the thing he were, a real clean drummer. something that was defenetly missing in the old days.

i agree with whoo. the man may not be the fastest. he may not be an academic in the drumming world but he never fails album after album to be a great grooving funk drummer. my opinion: i would rather have his track record than for example terry bozzio. more people know and like chad than terry in the big wide world.

j

He's always been one of my top drummers in my book, he has so much feel it's amazing.

NUTHA JASON said:
i agree with whoo. the man may not be the fastest. he may not be an academic in the drumming world but he never fails album after album to be a great grooving funk drummer. my opinion: i would rather have his track record than for example terry bozzio. more people know and like chad than terry in the big wide world.

j

and if u think music should be a mean to comunicate chad comunicates ...

T

I love him. His style at first comes off as so plain, but there are just thousands of nit picky things that launch him above the rest to give him really his own distinct style.

He's a good drummer at the end of the day, better even than me. But I personally dislike
his style and how it gells with the chili's. Cliff Martinez should still be playing drums for
the chilis today, he and flea had a real funky, tight rhythm section going on.

i think you guys need to see his instructional video.
this guy is one of my biggest influences, i played in a cover band for many years, and we did a LOT of rhcp. in the process, learning all his parts and all that, his playing really influenced mine.
really, many of the grooves in some of rhcp's tune are LANDMARK grooves, and literally shaped the drumming of younger bands trying to follow in rhcp's footsteps in the 90's.
he has that deep pocket and plays so hard and solid, in my opinion, thats the way you should be playing in a rock band. he literally brought the 'groove' back to rock music in the 90's....

and i don't get why people say new rhcp stuff is over-produced, infact, its a lot more under-produced than a lot of their older stuff..... most of the time its just one guitar track, bass, drums and vocals.... ????
they're just simple pop rock tunes, they've taken a new direction, and i honestly think a lot of the new stuff is very cool. and i'm not just a blind fan, i really enjoy a lot of the stuff on californication and by the way.

I confess I am mystified about the criticism of Chad Smith. I suspect it comes from people having favorite drummers and then assuming that the favorite is "better" than everyone else. It takes all kinds and styles of playing to encompass the whole of the instrument. I really don't believe that "better" is useful term once you get to a professional standard.

Chad Smith is a terrific player. He is tight, funky, solid, musical and plays in a very deep pocket. His playing accompanies and benefits the music and that is what it is supposed to do. That is our job - we are accompanists.

Just my thoughts

Paul

I love Chad Smith! Awesome drummer, his been a great inspiration to me. He has a great feel for the beat!

I like Chad Smith. Flea and him are a perfect bass-drummer pair. He knows how to flow thru the song.

Defiantly gotta give Chad Smith Props. Like no one will ever write a top ten drummers of all time list with his name on it. But if one can hold his own agaist Flea and Chris Ferchiantie and come out not looking like a fool then respect must be given.

Freddie Freeloader said:
i think you guys need to see his instructional video.
this guy is one of my biggest influences, i played in a cover band for many years, and we did a LOT of rhcp. in the process, learning all his parts and all that, his playing really influenced mine.
really, many of the grooves in some of rhcp's tune are LANDMARK grooves, and literally shaped the drumming of younger bands trying to follow in rhcp's footsteps in the 90's.
he has that deep pocket and plays so hard and solid, in my opinion, thats the way you should be playing in a rock band. he literally brought the 'groove' back to rock music in the 90's....

and i don't get why people say new rhcp stuff is over-produced, infact, its a lot more under-produced than a lot of their older stuff..... most of the time its just one guitar track, bass, drums and vocals.... ????
they're just simple pop rock tunes, they've taken a new direction, and i honestly think a lot of the new stuff is very cool. and i'm not just a blind fan, i really enjoy a lot of the stuff on californication and by the way.

U own man...U just neiled it

I do like chad, because of his feelings for the drums.
Ok he is not a metall drummer with a lot of technique but he can sure do his thing on the drums. Also the drums that he uses are well picked.(listen to the snare of Live at slane castle.)
Chad is one of my standards with a lot others(john blackwell etc..)
I don't get all of the frustration over the fact that the late RHCP music is different, i mean i think by the way was a great album not corny like most of the bads are today.

See ya,

icon1.gif

RE: This is the same guy that said Charlie Watts isn't overrated, that he's an AWSOME DRUMMER and that KEEPING TIME IS REALLY HARD. Chad smith is one of the premier funk drummers ever. You have got to be like 70 years old 'Bonham to the moon'.

Back