Double Pedal Bag?

JasperGTR

I was looking through a website for something unrelated to the topic, and came across the Gibraltar bag for double pedals.

Now this intrigues me, because I don't like carrying my pedals open like I currently do. My Speed Cobras came with a hard case, but I have no intention of disconnecting anything repeatedly (even hate collapsing my cymbal stands - when I had them). I have them perfectly set up for my preferred dimensions.

My wife wants to get me a case, so they are easier to carry and store. But after seeing this bag, I can't help but wonder if someone already has a solution for double pedals and, like me, doesn't break them down for transport.

Why do you find it so objectionable to break them down for transport? All settings will be as they were once you set them up again. Just use the case that they're supplied with.

Why do you find it so objectionable to break them down for transport? All settings will be as they were once you set them up again. Just use the case that they're supplied with.
#1 I'm lazy as hell.
#2 I've had bad luck with double pedals in the past, with the screws either breaking from excessive tightening (my fault), or just getting old (these aren't exactly heavy duty lugs)
#3 The beaters take some additional time to put in, and have at the right degree (facing left to right, not up or down - that is fixed with the memory lock).
#4 I have had issues not getting the middle connecting bar set right exactly every time.

I can get my kit from the back of a vehicle to set up in about 10 minutes. I accomplish this because of minimal tear down (takes up more space when packed, though).

The only thing I 'put away' are the cymbals.

I like everything in cases for transport,but setting up the double pedal is still quick using memory locks and sharpie marks, and using the case allows quicker loading in/out. I would recommend it :)

You're asking for trouble if you don't break down your drums when you move them around.

You're asking for trouble if you don't break down your drums when you move them around.
They've held up for the past 20 years and well over 1000 gigs. Tama.

I don't abuse them, just pack them carefully. I'm not breaking the pedals down. It is way too convenient to just pick them up in the van, put down where they need to be, tighten wingnut. Done. It literally took longer to type that sentence than it does to set them up that way.

Just looking at a picture of it, looks the same as my dw or mapex nylon bags in which case you will still have to disconnect the shaft and remove the beaters (unless you want the springs flexing until you take it back out.

Just looking at a picture of it, looks the same as my dw or mapex nylon bags in which case you will still have to disconnect the shaft and remove the beaters (unless you want the springs flexing until you take it back out.
Thanks! How did you come to that conclusion?

I only found one picture of it, and it was the outside of the bag, without any size reference.

Just logically. I don't think there is a carry case that fits an assembled double kick. I think the sleishman pedal has one but you know that thing is all one piece.

Maybe just keep doing what you're doing and carry it, or get a cheap sports bag.

Just logically. I don't think there is a carry case that fits an assembled double kick. I think the sleishman pedal has one but you know that thing is all one piece.

Maybe just keep doing what you're doing and carry it, or get a cheap sports bag.

I have no idea why I haven't thought of this.

Guys - my biggest concern with the pedals is unnecessary wear. I've had great luck with my Tama hardware. I have cymbal stands that I've been using since the '80s. The ones that start to go out (moving excessively) or pedals that develop issues - it's because of the numerous setups and teardowns. One day, the screws break (sometimes inside the hole - not something I want deal with 15 minutes before playing time), or strips out, or something isn't quite the same. I haven't had a single issue with my pedals since I've stopped tearing them down. Call me superstitious. Call me unfaithful. I know that I have no problems with my pedals, and they can be set up in an instant (literally).

I'm going to look into a sports bag that has a sturdy bottom, and appropriate dimensions to support the double pedals (folded, but assembled). This is a problem living in Fayetteville, NC. Not exactly a megatropolis having access to a lot of different types of stores. One might think - the internet is just as available there as anywhere else. True, but to spacially examine the interior of a bag isn't something we can do over the internet.

So my search begins...

*edit: 3 reasons I wanted a bag (or soft case, etc...).
#1 Storing/stacking becomes a lot easier, without having to worry about unnecessary spring tension, or beaters getting stuck on things
#2 Carrying open requires two hands (to alleviate pressure of the connecting bar (and supporting screws).
#3 Moving the rain isn't something I like to expose my stuff to (requires more maintenance in the end).

Last edited:
http://www.music123.com/drums-percussion/gator-gp-66-bongo-and-drum-accessory-case

DV016_Jpg_Large_546134_closed_R.jpg

This is the first bag I came across that may work...

My dimensions are around 19". Even though the bag is measured at only 18" wide, it is not a hard case, and I may be able to fit my pedals in there without collapsing.

The dimensions are 18"x10"x10" interior.

Just set up your entire kit on a riser with everything fastened down. This will serve as the platform/bottom of your road case. Then have a top made (with four 'walls' and fastening clasps) with foam positioned so that nothing will move when it's all bolted shut. When you're ready to go, just take off all your cymbals and put them in a cymbal case. Close the "box", fasten it, and all you will need at that point is a fork lift and flat bed truck to move the case to and fro.

Just set up your entire kit on a riser with everything fastened down. This will serve as the platform/bottom of your road case. Then have a top made (with four 'walls' and fastening clasps) with foam positioned so that nothing will move when it's all bolted shut. When you're ready to go, just take off all your cymbals and put them in a cymbal case. Close the "box", fasten it, and all you will need at that point is a fork lift and flat bed truck to move the case to and fro.
I used to do that (but I left my cymbals up) in my younger days. I also had a people to help move my kit.

I still have the platform under my home kit (now it just serves as a riser in the basement in case of 'issues').

Obviously you're being extreme, but I'm dead serious - with the wife's minivan (I'm considering getting an Econoline), I can pull up and be set up in 10 minutes, with just me.

The rack has been a god-send. I place the middle portion standing up (3 hi-toms already mounted), bring in either side (all cymbal booms in place), clamp in place, grab bass drum, floor toms, snare, put in place (I do fold up my snare legs, and hihat stand but don't collapse either - as of now - looking to rack mount the hats eventually), open throne legs.

The longest part is putting the cymbals on the right booms. I've actually started leaving my 2 splash cymbals on the center rack mount, as nothing touches them. So I'm down to placing the remaining 9 cymbals.

Well, at least you're getting to play your own kit. Most places these days you gotta play the house kit, and maybe bring your own snare and cymbals. Sometimes just your cymbals.

Wake up sleepy thread!

So JasperGTR,

What did you end up going with? That Gator bag looks interesting. I feel the same way about double pedal tear down as you I believe. Less to do is better. I also like taking care of my equipment.

I have some DW 9002 double pedals that I usually end up taking the bar off, and breaking down into three pieces. I would prefer to keep them safe and fully ready to go though.

How is whatever you are using working?

Wake up sleepy thread!

So JasperGTR,

What did you end up going with? That Gator bag looks interesting. I feel the same way about double pedal tear down as you I believe. Less to do is better. I also like taking care of my equipment.

I have some DW 9002 double pedals that I usually end up taking the bar off, and breaking down into three pieces. I would prefer to keep them safe and fully ready to go though.

How is whatever you are using working?
lol! I ended up going with a Samsonite duffle bag (wayyy oversized, but was buried in my luggage closet). It is relatively cheap, but meets 2 out of my 3 criteria (can be carried with one hand, without pedals being flexed in any direction - and protects from the rain).
I did a quick search at 'the store that shall not be named' and found a sports bag that measures 36" x 14" x 8" for under $30.
lol! Please share (PM would be fine).

On a related note, I've been wanting to find a good hard case that will fit my DW9000 pedal. I just don't trust the soft case that it came with.

Ideas?

Great post, Jasper. I think I posted something similar a few years ago. I'm in the same boat as you, I gig with tama Iron Cobras and I hate to take them apart every show. The case that came with the pedals is absurd. I'm not going thru 7 steps to pack up pedals!!!
Anyway, what i use now is a DeWalt tool bag. It doesn't work great, the beaters are a bit too high, and it's a tough fit all the way around. For years I have been trying to find a tool box that would fit. no such luck so far. I figured that would be the best. Pretty sturdy...good luck and let me know what you come up with...

Al

Attachments

• DeWalt bag.png
    DeWalt bag.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 821
Back