Ordering custom drums from Ludwig

Hello, all. I was wondering how one custom orders Ludwig drums? I looked at Ludwig's website and they seem to have no order forms nor do they have any way to contact staff, which is why I'm asking you. I'm sure many of you out there have custom-ordered Ludwig drums. Please fill me in.

Thanks

Your local Ludwig dealer will set you right.

+1^.Just go to an authorized Ludwig dealer(not GC) and they can help you out.It all depends on just how "custom" you want also.They're not a botique builder,so configureations will be limited,unless you're an endorcer.

Steve B

Even as an endorser, it's not so easy getting non-standard items. Fortunately, they offer a fairly wide range of sizes and hardware options, it's hard to imagine needing anything for which they don't already have a sku.

BTW, I find it interesting that a potential customer would expect to order directly from the manufacturer. Granted, the small and boutique companies (read: those that aren't represented by dealers) do that... but trying to order drums directly from Ludwig would be like trying to order a car from GM headquarters.

Bermuda

I f you want to get an idea of what Ludwig offers in terms of say USA made kits,just google Ludwig drums.Click on drum kits,then click on the model you want.There's a small box under the pic of the kit on the right hand side, that says LCG technology.Click on that,and it will show you the options available for that particular model.

There's also a buy it now box,on the left hand side.Click on it,and it will ask for your location and show you a dealer close to you.

Steve B

There's also a buy it now box,on the left hand side.Click on it,and it will ask for your location and show you a dealer close to you.

Hmmm, I wonder if that also copies the dealer on the order? That would be cool! No muss, no fuss, no mistakes!

Things might be changing. You can order directly from Zildjian now.

But its not any cheaper to do it that way either so they are making all the profit. The prices they have listed there are also the same prices listed from my local drum shop.

You can place an order on the Zildjian website.

But they forward the order to a dealer, who then ships you the product.

Yep. Nothing worse than a company by-passing its dealers and selling direct. And companies like Zildjian, Ludwig, Evans, etc NEED strong dealer networks. Can you imagine if they went direct to the consumer, what a shipping and bookkeeping and customer service and additional stafffing nightmare that would be?

Bermuda

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Does anyone have a ballpark guess of what this would cost?

Classic Maple, black sparkle finish and regular hardware on these three drums:

- 26x14 bass drum
- 16x16 floor tom
- 14x10 rack tom

I'd like to know the cost before I walk in and place an order.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Does anyone have a ballpark guess of what this would cost?

Classic Maple, black sparkle finish and regular hardware on these three drums:

- 26x14 bass drum
- 16x16 floor tom
- 14x10 rack tom

I'd like to know the cost before I walk in and place an order.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's custom about this? Sizes seem like standard stuff to me. Is it just the finish?

I was just wondering if your requirement was within Ludwig's standard range, thus negating hassle/expense of custom ordering.
I hope so. It's all pretty basic. I was just under the impression that if it's not a complete set, then it's custom. Any idea on how to get a quote for the cost of these drums? Will Guitar Center tell me via e-mail?

There is also a difference between Black Sparkle, and Black Glass Glitter.
BGG is BLACK, with no blue, or gray, or gold-ish tint to it. Different batches seem to have variances over time.
IMO BGG is a much nicer finish. It really sparkles under nice lighting, but it still looks Black.

I had a kit re-done in it in 2010, and I love it.

Nice sizes you picked BTW.
Most of the bigger/visible shops you see on-line would give you a quote. Fork's, Drum Center of Portsmouth, Greenbrier, etc...

Good luck with it!

You'll need to talk to a Ludwig dealer. Cost will depend on which dealer, and how bad they want you as a customer. Ballpark would probably be somewhere between $2300 and $2900.​

I hope so. It's all pretty basic. I was just under the impression that if it's not a complete set, then it's custom. Any idea on how to get a quote for the cost of these drums? Will Guitar Center tell me via e-mail?

I'm pretty sure you can't custom order Ludwig,through any Guitar Center.I believe they just handle shell packs,some hardware and snare drums.To confirm this,I just did a dealer search within 50 miles.No hits for guitar center came up,even though I know there's 8 ,within 20 miles of me. Just google Ludwig drums,and look around the website.

RichP posted a link,just use it,and it tells you,exactly that to do.You'll probably get multiple hits for dealers,unless you're in the sticks.Try the Long Island drums Center or The drum center of Porthsmouth,Rupps drums,The Memphis drum shop,Greenbriar,and a few more dealers,and just get their prices,which will vary,and take the best one.Just tell them what you want,and get a price quote..with shipping.The most costly thing will be that 26" bass drum,in terms of cost and shipping.

Steve B

Last edited:
Nice sizes you picked BTW.
Most of the bigger/visible shops you see on-line would give you a quote. Fork's, Drum Center of Portsmouth, Greenbrier, etc...

Good luck with it!
Thanks. I'm a Bonham guy, and I can tell by your picture that you are as well. I already have the 2002 cymbal pack and the Supraphonic snare. I just need to upgrade from my Catalina Maple shells. I'm curious to hear the quality difference in tone. These Catalina Maples are the best quality drums I've played so far. (I'm only 18.)

What about you? What's your setup?

Back