Head and tuning choice for Ludwig Epic

gmiller598

Anyone with a Ludwig Epic kit have recommendations on head choice? I have Evans clear G1 on the top and bottom right now. I just can't get them to sound good.

Anyone with a Ludwig Epic kit have recommendations on head choice? I have Evans clear G1 on the top and bottom right now. I just can't get them to sound good.

I have a Ludwig epic "downbeat" kit. I did a few head combos and the best I came up with was a coated remo vintage emperor batter & clear ambassador reso. Or if you're a Evans guy probably a coated G2 batter & G1 reso. The thicker head gave it a more controlled tone.

Keep swattin'
Bonzolead

What sizes do you have?

I use Remo myself, but I go 1 ply snare (both sides), 2 ply batter/1 ply resonant on the toms, and 1 ply on both sides for the bass. Sounds great to me. Also, I personally use coated batters on all drums.

What sizes do you have?

I use Remo myself, but I go 1 ply snare (both sides), 2 ply batter/1 ply resonant on the toms, and 1 ply on both sides for the bass. Sounds great to me. Also, I personally use coated batters on all drums.

I went coated Vintage Remo emperors(2 ply) for batters because they're a little thicker than reg. emperors with clear ambassadors(1 ply) for toms and I use a coated controlled sound batter for my snare with a clear ambassadors reso. side. the epic shells are very thin and sing nice but the thicker heads give me a more controlled sound.

Bonzolead

This might seem like a strange recommendation. Have you considered trying Ludwig's USA heads?

I've have the Ludwig Epic Euro kit since late 2012 and I'm just now getting around to replacing the stock Ludwig heads.

Within the week I've purchased the 10", 12", and 14" for the toms Evans Coated G2 batter heads. I've actually installed the 10" and 12" and like the sound as it give a great tuning range. I'll get around to installing the 14" very soon. I still need to purchase the 16" floor tom and the snare batters. I'll go with the G2 for the 16" floor tom.

I'm keeping the original Ludwig reso heads on the toms and will replace those as I go.

I've have the Ludwig Epic Euro kit since late 2012 and I'm just now getting around to replacing the stock Ludwig heads.

Within the week I've purchased the 10", 12", and 14" for the toms Evans Coated G2 batter heads. I've actually installed the 10" and 12" and like the sound as it give a great tuning range. I'll get around to installing the 14" very soon. I still need to purchase the 16" floor tom and the snare batters. I'll go with the G2 for the 16" floor tom.

I'm keeping the original Ludwig reso heads on the toms and will replace those as I go.

Maybe I'll give the G2 a try. I do agree with the earlier posts that the toms tend tto sound a bit thin. The G1 probably accentuates that a bit. I also have the Euro set up with an added 8" tom. I really struggle with tuning the 8" with the G1. It always sounds bad.

You've received some good advice. Topping those toms with Emperors or G2s will make a big difference. Using the coated versions will give you a smoother sound with rolled-off upper mid frequencies. Employing the clear batters will accentuate the upper mids for a very pronounced slap or attack, but will maintain the low frequencies of the coated heads.

I don't know anything about the current Ludwig heads. It's literally been almost thirty years since I've had any exposure to them. I used to work in a music store that sold Ludwig (and I'm a big Ludwig fan), and at that time the Ludwig heads were junk. However, I keep hearing more and more people recommending the current manufacture Ludwig heads. You may want to give them a try.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks for the recommendations. The coated G2 were exactly the right choice. the G2 are so much better than the G1 I had been using before. The sound difference is night and day.

I have a Ludwig epic "downbeat" kit. I did a few head combos and the best I came up with was a coated remo vintage emperor batter & clear ambassador reso. Or if you're a Evans guy probably a coated G2 batter & G1 reso. The thicker head gave it a more controlled tone.

Keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Neither were Epics but both used Ludwig kits I've purchased had this combo on them at the time of purchase so it must be a favorite among Ludwig players.

Back