Sabian purchasing Crescent Cymbals

It's new. The video discusses their previous manufacturing partnership however Sabian has now bought Crescent. It will be interesting to see if the same lines are continued.

I thought they already had.

Although given Crescent wasn't exactly a big name in cymbals, I'm not sure what, if any, significance this has.

I thought they already had.

Although given Crescent wasn't exactly a big name in cymbals, I'm not sure what, if any, significance this has.

I think Crescent made some really solid jazz cymbals. I really like the Stanton Moore series and I considered buying some of their Vintage series before I got a set of K Cons I really liked.

It seems like they would give some flexibility to Sabian, especially in the jazz end of things. My only question is how they will handle making the lines that were originally made in Turkey.

I think Crescent made some really solid jazz cymbals. I really like the Stanton Moore series and I considered buying some of their Vintage series before I got a set of K Cons I really liked.

It seems like they would give some flexibility to Sabian, especially in the jazz end of things. My only question is how they will handle making the lines that were originally made in Turkey.

I rest my case. :p

We Gotta respect the Crescent guys for building something Sabian couldn't do themselves.
As I have said before, Meinl with their Byzance line is putting pressure on everybody else.

Didn't Stanton himself jump ship and take his line elsewhere too? So whatever Crescent are doing, it wasn't enough!

Didn't Stanton himself jump ship and take his line elsewhere too? So whatever Crescent are doing, it wasn't enough!

Stanton was part owner of Crescent if I'm not mistaken along with Jeff Hamilton. They broke away from Bosphorus. Both of their signature lines wr essentially the same things Bosphorus made for them.

Stanton was part owner of Crescent if I'm not mistaken along with Jeff Hamilton. They broke away from Bosphorus. Both of their signature lines wr essentially the same things Bosphorus made for them.

ah so the crescent versions are newer?

So let me throw this in the mix.
I ordered a Big and Ugly Sabian cymbal from Interstate Music and on the web site in a blurb that "cymbals ship from the manufacurer, call us for availability." I called a week after ordering to see if there was any idea as to how long the wait would be and was told that Sabian was catching up on orders because for a bit DW was going to handle all distribution for Sabian, but that deal fell through, and now Sabian was catching up on shipping. Seems that DW wants to get in on everything. I was told last week to call back in a week for a better idea of shipping.

So let me throw this in the mix.
I ordered a Big and Ugly Sabian cymbal from Interstate Music and on the web site in a blurb that "cymbals ship from the manufacurer, call us for availability." I called a week after ordering to see if there was any idea as to how long the wait would be and was told that Sabian was catching up on orders because for a bit DW was going to handle all distribution for Sabian, but that deal fell through, and now Sabian was catching up on shipping. Seems that DW wants to get in on everything. I was told last week to call back in a week for a better idea of shipping.

I had seen Crescent post on their FB page in the midst of the sale conversation that the DW/Sabian distribution deal was off but I didn't see anything more specific than that.

We Gotta respect the Crescent guys for building something Sabian couldn't do themselves....

Gotta disagree about SABIAN's capabilities. They have dudes who can hammer cymbals.

I sat down with one of their cymbalsmsiths named Charlie at NAMM this year for a nice long chat. That guy has been hammering cymbals at SABIAN for 32 years. He was doing demos at NAMM and would hammer for 20 minutes straight with no break at all, not even a few seconds. Swinging a hammer for 20 minutes solid is quite a feat. That only comes from hammering all day long for a living.

Also, there are still guys in the Meductic area that came over from Turkey and used to work at the K. Zildjian factory in Istanbul. SABIAN has everything they need to make cymbals the old way.

Later,
Matt

Gotta disagree about SABIAN's capabilities. They have dudes who can hammer cymbals.

I sat down with one of their cymbalsmsiths named Charlie at NAMM this year for a nice long chat. That guy has been hammering cymbals at SABIAN for 32 years. He was doing demos at NAMM and would hammer for 20 minutes straight with no break at all, not even a few seconds. Swinging a hammer for 20 minutes solid is quite a feat. That only comes from hammering all day long for a living.

Also, there are still guys in the Meductic area that came over from Turkey and used to work at the K. Zildjian factory in Istanbul. SABIAN has everything they need to make cymbals the old way.

Later,
Matt

Matt, I don't for a minute dispute that. I was referring to development and marketing of the type of cymbals Crescent does. Somehow they did that with a very small organisation and Sabian didn't. This is what I respect and what Sabian pays for.

Jorn

Ah. I get you now.

Yeah, the guys at Crescent developed cymbals for an under-served portion of the drummer market, and I respect them for that as well. I think it was a smart move for SABIAN to snap it up.

Later,
Matt

I play mostly Zildjian As and Ks, but have a Sabian HH ride and a AA splash. I'm an old guy, and it was my thinking for years that except for their bread and butter cymbals, Sabian seemed intent on making overy-splashy sounding and looking cymbals to draw atttention to themselves away from Zildjian.

In the last couple a years or so, Sabian's focus seems to have changed to making some very serious cymbals. More and more I'm impressed by the products they are offering. Their Raw Bell rides are becoming a near standard for do-it-all ride cymbals. The Omni rides are very attractive-sounding cymbals with textures that make them usable for a number of ride and crash needs. Their AA and HH crashes finally have some finesse and crystal overtones that have been previously lacking. And just recently I've had the chance to play the Ugly cymbals, and came away very, very impressed with the XS20 Monarch ride cymbal.

In short, my dedication to Zildjian has been upset by Sabian's recent explorations of various sound textures that are akin to the tones many of us have come to admire in companies such as Bosphorus, Istanbul, and Soultone. I'm impressed, and I'm looking forward to what else our Canadian friends may have in store for us. Now, if I just had more disposable income . . . .

GeeDeeEmm

Back