THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Just saw a glowing review of Ford snare drums for those of you with deep enough pockets to allow you to have one of the top of the heaps. I believe it was Drum magazine.

[QUOTE
2663_1117916311936_1347857566_307197_611236_n.jpg

YAMAHA 'ELVIN JONES' SIGNATURE SNARE: 7"x14" 7-ply all Maple shell with 19-ply Maple hoops.[/QUOTE]

That's one beautiful snare drum!

I was going to post a question but I'll try here first - you may know the answer:

Are the Yamaha Signature drums (I'm looking at buying the Akira Jimbo snare) made in the Osaka factory - Japan - or are they made in the Indonesia (Taiwan now maybe) plant?

That's one beautiful snare drum!
I was going to post a question but I'll try here first - you may know the answer:
Are the Yamaha Signature drums (I'm looking at buying the Akira Jimbo snare) made in the Osaka factory - Japan - or are they made in the Indonesia (Taiwan now maybe) plant?

Thanks Kona. Japan is engraved on the badge below the words 'Custom Model.' Going by that, I would say Osaka. I think all of the higher end Yamaha drums are made in the Osaka factory.

Last edited:
Thanks Kona. Japan is engraved on the badge below the words 'Custom Model.' Going by that, I would say Osaka. I think all of the higher end Yamaha drums are made in the Osaka factory.

Thanks - that's what I've read - just thought I'd ask in case they've switched to a new location unknown to me.

Here's a couple of my DW woodies...

The Craviotto 12 x 5 in Azure stain satin oil c/w gold h/w is so versatile, and great where too much volume is an issue like small pub gigs, it still sounds great. The Edge I picked up off ebay a year or so ago for a good price, its a 13 x 6 in cherry lacquer with chrome h/w and really rocks, its loud - I love it when the singer turns around to me & cant stop laughing in the middle of a crazy loud section of a song!!!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 5,195
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 5,220
Hey i got this yamaha custom nouveau 14x4 in red pearl maple yday from ebay for £168 ($250) free delivery, apparently it cost over £400 ($600) new and was an ex-artist studio snare. Let me know what you think, whether its a good deal, whether anyone has any experience with these snares and any other comments. It hasnt arrived yet but i will put a video up when it does. Thanks

Attachments

• 23be_1.JPG
    23be_1.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 4,992
Hey i got this yamaha custom nouveau 14x4 in red pearl maple yday from ebay for £168 ($250) free delivery, apparently it cost over £400 ($600) new and was an ex-artist studio snare. Let me know what you think, whether its a good deal, whether anyone has any experience with these snares and any other comments. It hasnt arrived yet but i will put a video up when it does. Thanks

Looks like you had a good buy mate, let us know how it sounds.

MTB, your snares are sooo nice. With the calibre of snares here i think mine pales into insignificance, but its my first proper snare and im sure ill be happy with it.

Does anyone have any experience with YAMAHA VINTAGE WOOD HOOPS. Are they more suited to deeper snares and would the difference be lost on my 14x4" yamaha? (previous post). Is the difference only heard in the rim-shot and x-stick?

Thanks v much

MTB, your snares are sooo nice. With the calibre of snares here i think mine pales into insignificance, but its my first proper snare and im sure ill be happy with it.

Does anyone have any experience with YAMAHA VINTAGE WOOD HOOPS. Are they more suited to deeper snares and would the difference be lost on my 14x4" yamaha? (previous post). Is the difference only heard in the rim-shot and x-stick?

Thanks v much

Mate, that drum should sing like a good 'un... its a beauty!
I have always fancied a wood hoop snare myself - I like the Yammy Anton Fig signature, but have yet to take the plunge. Most of the woodies I.m aware of are 5 to 6 inchers, but I dont see any reason why it would'nt be worth trying them on your little gem... let me know what you decide...

Im wanting to buy a new snare but im not really sure what to go for. Any sugestions?

Budget? Any 400$ snare and you can't really go wrong. :D
But for me the best snare's are Tama Warlord series, so many different options in three different price classe's and all sound just incredible. (Well dunno about the Titan, havent heard.)
What sound are you in search for? Maple my favorite for snare's, some prefer steel or even carbon. Go to your local music store and try out, it's never hurt anyone.

This message is not for one person, its for everyone who's in search of a good snare.

I just purchased a snare from a drum maker called "Famous" drums out of Ohio and it is his 2*4 snare. Yes, it is actually made out of 2*4's and I have to tell you, it is an AMAZING sounding drum. The crack this 14*5 snare makes compliments the K's and the mellow gretsch that I play. Pics to follow.

This is my baby: Mike Portnoy's Signature Melody Master, the 14" maple one.

I love this.... rimshots give me that wonderful, wet pop to it and I'm just trying to figure out just the right tunings at some point to give it to me whenever I lay into it a bit more. It still sounds great, nice powerful, full loud crack to it with a little bit of a pop still. Not SUPER sensitive, but enough so that even real quiet ghost notes sound good...

l_c57eb47ca5e42956f6798049236c8d11.jpg

And the three-way throw off switch of course:

Tight:

l_38d9d5cca62df19788483517dac738db.jpg

Loose:

l_e5595ee1e3dd6ff815f61c6c0043860a.jpg

Off:

l_6d5da044a02ada0982417658e060f100.jpg

I love it :)

hey,

can anyone tell me anything about the sound of the pearl reference 14 x 6,5 wood snare?

i heard hakim omar playing it on the reference series video... increadible sound... but i guess it's the micing and video... is it any close to that? i'm thinking maybe it's TOO loud for no-metal music... and too heavy for fusion, pop-rock style that my current band is playing.

i will hear it live, but of course not with my kit and cymbals.

thanks in advance

Beautiful snare and color....

OK...here's my baby...a custom Longo solid Walnut snare....made to my specs. by the folks at Longo Drums...great bunch of people....here are the specs.:

• 6.5X14 solid walnut w/ maple rings
  • Single flg. hoops w/ claws
  • Black anodized tube lugs
  • trick 3-way strainer
  • custom cut snare bed
  • german snare wires

picture.php

I thought for grins and giggles I'd list my current snare collection...

1) 1970's Slingerland 5 1/2 x 14 COB

2) 1970 Gretsch Stopsign badge 5 1/2 x 14 COB model 4160

3) 1981 Gretsch drop-G badge 5 1/2 x 14 COB model 4160 (Just like the other one, it came with one of my sets.)

4) 2006 Gretsch Catalina Birch 5 x 14 in chestnut fade lacquer finish

5) 2008 Ludwig 5 1/2 x 14 Black Beauty

6) Early 70s Ludwig olive badge Acrolite

7) mid 90s Ayotte Drumsmith 5 1/2 x 13 stainless steel (Sounds like Stewart Copeland's snare)

8) 2008 Ahead black nickel on brass 6 x 13

9) 2007 Fibes (Keller shell) 5 1/2 x 14 in white marine pearl finish

10) 2008 DW Collector's series 10/6 snare in broken glass fisishply. To match one of my kits.)

11) 2004 DW Collector series solid shell 5 1/2 x 14 in natural maple satin finish.

I'm admitedly a little heavy on 5 1/2 x 14 sized drums...

Oh Man! Any chance you can show us pics of that collection?

I don't actually have this snare drum but it is one that I really want to get someday.

Mapex Black Panther: Walnut 14'' X 6.5''

I like deep snare drums. ( The new DW deep ballad snare looks awesome as well. Around 10'' deep!)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get a second snare, for recording more than anything else.

i currently have a yamaha stage custom(its not the BEST kit in the world, but sounds fine with nice tuned heads) and a Sonar S Class snare drum,

My kit turns out really nice recorded but my snare is always so pingy. aside from sticking tape and moon gell all over it, i'd really like to look into getting a wooden snare.

i dont know alot about drums sounds, but i know the wooden snare will be less ringy and maple has a lower sound than birch?

i play in a metal/rock band so i want the snare to crack and cut through but i dont want the ringy overtones.

do i need to look at deep snares or a shallower one?

would appreciate any help anyone can give and i applogise for my current lack of insight.=]

thanks

Back