Bass drum mic picking up Toms

I know this is a troll thread, because bass drum mics don't have arms, and there isn't possibly enough guys named tom to pick up in any one room.

I know this is a troll thread, because bass drum mics don't have arms, and there isn't possibly enough guys named tom to pick up in any one room.

In the SFB there are plenty of guys named Tom to pick up. Try it out.

Thanks for all the posts. I don't know what kind of mic's they were, and I know very little about what's involved in mic'ing a drum kit. I do believe this place has pro equipment---PA, speakers, lights/fog/etc and there a lot of great bands that play at this venue.

However, I liked it much better when they used to mic each drum separately.

Yes, there was a drum monitor next to me, as there always has been, and I ask that he put kick drum in int.

Next time around, I'll probably try the idea of clip on mufflers or something for the bottom tom heads.

Thanks for all the posts. I don't know what kind of mic's they were, and I know very little about what's involved in mic'ing a drum kit. I do believe this place has pro equipment---PA, speakers, lights/fog/etc and there a lot of great bands that play at this venue.

However, I liked it much better when they used to mic each drum separately.

Yes, there was a drum monitor next to me, as there always has been, and I ask that he put kick drum in int.

Next time around, I'll probably try the idea of clip on mufflers or something for the bottom tom heads.

If you have a loud monitor next to you, and overheads picking up your kit that is going to be a muddy mess. ask for kick, get more kick, kick goes into overheads, back out speaker etc.

I am sure that is half your issue. try using some headphones or in ear monitors.. those side monitors can resonate the crap out of your kit if they are too loud, all the bass is going to cause that tom to resonate, and probibly get picked up in the overheads.

Every time you hit your bass drum with the speaker off i bet your tom isn't resonating like that.

Back