This is a new one

eamesuser

Silver Member
The Band I play with has played a restaurant/bar in Fla the last couple years,sort of a working vacation. We play outside like on a raised good sized stage stage.We are bass, drums, guitar with a male and female lead singer.We got a call from the manger saying that the place has come under new ownership and that we can keep the gig,same money,but they only want 2 people on stage at one time.I can't even begin to think what the reasoning behind that is,I have run into the situation where a club has asked that we play acoustic/low volume/unplugged before,but never a 2 person max capacity for a stage.Any similar experiences? Thoughts?

The Band I play with has played a restaurant/bar in Fla the last couple years,sort of a working vacation. We play outside like on a raised good sized stage stage.We are bass, drums, guitar with a male and female lead singer.We got a call from the manger saying that the place has come under new ownership and that we can keep the gig,same money,but they only want 2 people on stage at one time.I can't even begin to think what the reasoning behind that is,I have run into the situation where a club has asked that we play acoustic/low volume/unplugged before,but never a 2 person max capacity for a stage Maybe Restaurant/bar owners have finally became crazier than musicians.Any similar experiences? Thoughts?

Weird. If there wasn't a raised stage I would have imagined they'd be looking to add some more tables. I would have asked them outright (nicely) about their plans.

My first guess is they are after a low volume/low logistics arrangement, but it's just a guess.

It could be licensing. There was a big issue in the UK a few years ago whereby Pubs and Clubs were being charged extra for a performance licence if there were more than two performers on stage at any one time. I think it was killed very quickly, but I would just check if that's the case.

So ..... put the band in the "orchestra pit" and put the singers on the stage .... a nod to shakespearean theatre ...

So, two of you play on the stage and two of you play on the floor. Duh. Problem solved.

Tell them that's OK as long as they don't serve any food. They can only serve drinks. Nothing else.

If they're anything like half the venues here in Melbourne, they're quietly telling you: "we no longer want bands, we want acoustic duos.....because they are cheaper to hire, a hell of a lot quieter and not nearly as much hassle".

Back