20'' ludwig floor tom

ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA ON WHAT YEAR THIS IS FROM? AND WHAT KINDA VALUE IT MAY HAVE?
20'' LUDWIG FLOOR TOM VISTALITE CLEAR IS WHAT I KNOW.....

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

Its missing some of the original hardware such as top and bottom rims,tension rods,and maybe the muffler.Original 20 " rims will be near impossible to come by.I'd say it was made pre 79,because of the pointy B/O badge.Twenty inch drums are pretty rare,are you measuring the drum edge to edge or are you including the rims.The proper way is edge to edge.

Rare or not,that drum looks a little worse for the ware and condition is EVERYTHING,especially with vintage Vistalites.Looks to be lots of scratches,maybe some cracks.It also looks like somebody was using it for a bass drum because of the cheap metal bass drum hoop on the batter side.

Even with the size rarity,I don't think you're going to get what you expect you will.Check Ebay for COMPLETED auction sales to get an acurate estimate of current market value,and factor in the expence of replacing the original parts,and overall condition of the shell.Like I said,original rims for that drum(yes you can tell the original ones from after market) will be next to impossible to find.Even if you do find them,they will cost you dearly.

Steve B

Of course it a 20''.
And I am aware it needs the hoops and lugs.
I was just wondering if its worth anything before I put $ into buying these products.
And no it has no cracks and its not scratched up. Its just dirty and needs a cleaning. I paid $20 for it at a thrift store. And its Zach Hill's old drum. So Im not selling it anyways.

Of course it a 20''.
And I am aware it needs the hoops and lugs.
I was just wondering if its worth anything before I put $ into buying these products.
And no it has no cracks and its not scratched up. Its just dirty and needs a cleaning. I paid $20 for it at a thrift store. And its Zach Hill's old drum. So Im not selling it anyways.

You just got more than a few dollars worth of accurate advice for free,so I don't understand the attitude."Of course it's 20"?Man..there a more that a few drummers out there who don't know how to measure their drums,not to mention that ebay and CL are full of this particular ignorance concerning the instrument.

One look at the badge which IS scratched up,still indicates that just may be scratches in the shell.Acrylic plactic is much softer that aluminum.

The drum really dosen't need lugs,it needs rims(hoops)and tension rods.

If you paid 20 bucks for it you got a great deal,but the Zach Hill thing won't give you much traction without some provanence.You need documentation to support your claim,or It's just a claim,and nothing more.

The next time you post here looking for free advice,which is the only time you post,how about just saying thank you.I appreciate that you took the time to help me out.

Steve B

Cool man thanks for your help I do appreciate it....
I just felt the whole debbie downer coming from your response.

''Even with the size rarity,I don't think you're going to get what you expect'

I really wasn't thinking I found the holy grail....just seeing if it was worth fixing

I get the documentation thing. I also have a snare of his signed and made for him.
All I was wondering was if anyone had info on it and if it was worth fixing.
Also I wasn't aware it was a problem to post drums and ask questions about them...
Again didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

So Im not selling it anyways.
Since you say you have no intention of selling it, and you paid $20 for it, it's a steal. The main question becomes "do you like the sound of Vistalite"? If yes is the answer, then non-factory parts won't cost that much, to get this drum up and running. A players drum. A drum in excellent/good shape might land $500, or more. But finding a buyer, that's the rub. eBay reaches the most people.​
The drum, as it sits, might fetch $200 - $300. Again, that would be a buyer who really wants this drum. And, you'd have to clean it, and take better pictures of it. The pictures you posted make it look like it's had a hard life.​
Most cats are more into the 16 and 18 inchers. Fewer buyers out there, for the 20 .... but you only need one. Except you're not gonna sell it. So, it's really just all speculative.​
A little bit of info., about Vista's. Clear and blue were the most produced colors. Green, one of the rare colors. So, clear and blue drums don't fetch the money that amber, yellow, red, or green do.​
I paid just over $500, for my red Vista 16" floor (pointy corners). I paid more, for my 22" kick, than my 24", but that's because the 22 was a virgin. The 24 has a flange. Little things like that, increase or decrease value.​

Cool man thanks for your help I do appreciate it....
I just felt the whole debbie downer coming from your response.

''Even with the size rarity,I don't think you're going to get what you expect'

I really wasn't thinking I found the holy grail....just seeing if it was worth fixing

I get the documentation thing. I also have a snare of his signed and made for him.
All I was wondering was if anyone had info on it and if it was worth fixing.
Also I wasn't aware it was a problem to post drums and ask questions about them...
Again didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

It's certainly not a problem to post and ask questions.If you read similar posts on this and other sites,you"ll see that more that a few people think that just because it's a Ludwig or Gretsch and it's a few years old it's worth a fortune.That position is more common than not.Ebay is packed with sellers that ask way too much for vintage drums,especially in uncommon sizes.There are more that just a few cases that bear out the saying that a "little knowledge can be dangerous.."

There wasn't any "debbie downer" insinuated in my response,just plain off the sholder honesty.I tend not to sugar truth or my opinion.My feelings are far from hurt.People post hit and run threads here all the time,without contributing to the forum.

Steve B

Back