Montez Coleman

Very groovy and flowing drumming, Abe. If Montez's snappy backbeat is reminiscent of BP then Sebastion strikes me as more of a Gadd or Carlock type.

What got me with Montez was his playing in the piano solo.

Here is what Jazzylover 59 PM'ed me. Am assuming he would have posted this himself if his account was active:

" I saw your post today regarding Montez Coleman...

I cannot reply to your post yet, as I have just joined the group, so I still need to activate my account after the email comes through.

Montez Coleman has been the drummer for The Roy Hargrove Quintet since 2006, up until last Fall. I think he was asked to leave after a major screw up during the European tour.

Montez is from St. Louis, Missouri, and he recently recorded with the great jazz guitarist, Russell Malone, on his 2010 "Triple Play" album. Montez never got to tour with him because he was busy touring with Roy Hargrove.

Montez was the "back-up" drummer for the Russell Malone Quartet previous to joining Roy Hargrove, and Montez can be seen on Russell's "Mugshot" video, that is a video bonus ont he "Playground" album (2004), recorded at SMOKE in NYC. He is NOT on the album though. EJ Strickland is the drummer on that album. The "Mugshot" video is on YouTube also.

The Roy Hargrove recordings that Montez is on are the Roy Hargrove Big Band Earfood" (2009), The Roy Hargrove Quintet "Earfood" (2008).

Hope this gets you started on Montez. And yes, he is a friend of mine, as all of the members of the Roy Hargrove Quintet are. I drove them around for 4 days in 2007 here in Washington State."

- jazzylover59

Anyone know about him? I just came across this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxeb0cwjE8U

The man's grooving like Purdie!

Didnt think you could throw up someone I wouldnt have heard, but you have. Yup, he's got that Purdie backbeat..

This is the guy who's groove Im tripping on thesedays. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2h573TCkSs)

Wow, I didn't know these 2 drummers, they're both incredible, thanks for posting :)) I'll check them out in the future :)

I loved the recording groove by Sebastiaan Cornelissen, yes I agree Polly, some Gadd influences there :)

Montez Coleman has been the drummer for The Roy Hargrove Quintet since 2006, up until last Fall. I think he was asked to leave after a major screw up during the European tour.

Just listening to "Earfood" so I googled Montez Coleman and this thread came up. Obviously more to this story if Hargrove was happy with him for six years. Great talent for sure.

So, way back in March of this year, I privately messaged "aydee" about Montez Coleman.

One little sentence seems to have hit a bad note. And that was not my intention.

I followed up with specific background information on Montez to further introduce jazz fans to his music and his great reputation playing with Roy Hargrove and then Russell Malone.

"mrmike" is totally correct is saying that there is so much more to the so-called story if Montez was drumming with Roy Hargrove for over 6 years.

I am proud to say that Montez is one of my all-time favorite durmmers. He's a joy to watch. He has also been a great jazz friend to me as he has visited the Seattle area numerous times with the Roy Hargrove Quintet.

I look forward to seeing him when he can play here as a leader.

Kandie Le Britain Webster in Washington State ~ jazzylover59

In Seattle we are lucky enough to have a great jazz radio station in KPLU 88.5. I was listening to Montez with Roy Hargrove do a live in studio set that was pure genius. They also advertised a video of the session so I just had to check it out. HOLY MOLY! Montez is only playing snare, ride and hats! Amazing how much music he can get from so little. I had no idea from just listening on the radio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4CCWDAcHw Check out at 5;55.

I am not a friend of Montez, just a fan !

From MrMike:

In Seattle we are lucky enough to have a great jazz radio station in KPLU 88.5. I was listening to Montez with Roy Hargrove do a live in studio set that was pure genius. They also advertised a video of the session so I just had to check it out. HOLY MOLY! Montez is only playing snare, ride and hats! Amazing how much music he can get from so little. I had no idea from just listening on the radio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4CCWDAcHw Check out at 5;55.

I am in Seattle also. I wonder if we have crossed paths in the various jazz jam venues. Please feel free to message me privately if you want to find out.

Kandie Le Britain Webster in Washington State ~ jazzylover59

Last edited:
Back