George Kollias here...

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions George, your advice is greatly appreciated =). I hope things are going well with Nile.

Unfortunately i will join the army to serve my 9 month in a few days and i can't buy the new Nile album right now! :(

It's the first album i'll buy when i'm able to...I'm sure the album is a total KILLER and nothing less than this! I'm sure that your drums George are still crying in pain! I wouldn't like to be your snare drum!!! I hope to see a new video soon on your youtube account! Have a nice tour!!!

Hey george i just wanted to clear up a rumor that ive heard. I read somewhere that you are trying to stop doing your swivel motion with your feet because its apparently causing damage to your knees, is this true?

Hey george i just wanted to clear up a rumor that ive heard. I read somewhere that you are trying to stop doing your swivel motion with your feet because its apparently causing damage to your knees, is this true?

That's not the first time I've heard that about swiveling. Curious to know if it's true or not myself.

Quick question to George. I've seen your videos and it seems like you have a CRAZY high number of pedals under there. What the heck are they all for?

By the way, Intense Metal Drumming is incredible for instruction. Even without doing anything at the set, I've learned a hell of a lot just from watching and listening to the various bits of wisdom.

Unfortunately i will join the army to serve my 9 month in a few days and i can't buy the new Nile album right now! :(

It's the first album i'll buy when i'm able to...I'm sure the album is a total KILLER and nothing less than this! I'm sure that your drums George are still crying in pain! I wouldn't like to be your snare drum!!! I hope to see a new video soon on your youtube account! Have a nice tour!!!
Kinda...
What i said is that i don't bother anymore and that many people give so much attention to this cause they think it will affect their speed, which doesn't.I saw many drummers on YouTube explain it completely wrong, that had nothing to do with what i do and also mention my name there like i am the inventor of this or something...
So i had to say what i think to everyone asks...You can tell in some of these videos that what they show is NOT healthy, it's a very weird motion and definitely can hurt somebody.

Quick question to George. I've seen your videos and it seems like you have a CRAZY high number of pedals under there. What the heck are they all for?
Right now i am using even more, but that's only for my personal project, i don't use all these pedals for Nile. So from left to right will be:
1.Ribbon Crasher/2.Foot Snare/3.Hi Hat/4.Left Kick and
5.Right Kick/6.Remote Hi Hat/7.Electronic Kick
I'm working on my personal album right now and this is where you will see me using all of these, i try to push it as much as it goes ;)

By the way, Intense Metal Drumming is incredible for instruction. Even without doing anything at the set, I've learned a hell of a lot just from watching and listening to the various bits of wisdom.
Thanks a lot,
i tried to include many workouts and info in there and also not stick with blast beats so much. I know people would like to see me talking about blast beats for hours but i think it would be very stupid to spend 2 hours explaining....a single stroke roll....cause this is what the blast beat is.
Blast Beats are really really easy to understand and everyone knows how to do it by watching a transcription or a quick example.The point is HOW to do it, HOW you get into it,HOW to make it groove and HOW you get it up there on these insane tempos............this is what people needs and this is my main point on the DVD.

well in terms of speed he's pretty untouchable. Thats all I admire tho
Thanks,
extreme music most times goes over people's heads, it sounds silly to some but there is a lot more in this music. There is technique and years of practice, there is song structure, there is musicality which doesn't have room for any mistakes, groove which is VERY tough to achieve because of speed, fill ideas and licks which sometimes are impossible to fit in time, coordination and balance that keeps you in tense for hours.....
Being an extreme drummers this is what i needed to show, this is where i can offer education and motivate people. It's funny when i see people putting every drummer in categories but this is life.... :)

Anyone who thinks George is in any way one-dimensional or limited just needs to watch his DVD. The explanations of going with and against the riff plus the dissection of licks and fills is superb. There's a lot more than just "hey here's a blast beat, now here's how to go fast".

big ups on your playing man. new nile album is dope. your dvd is sweet too. nice one.

p.s. is what joeysnare asked trued? if it is then i better stop doing it now.. please message me if you don't want to say on the forum, thanks.

Thanks a lot,
i tried to include many workouts and info in there and also not stick with blast beats so much. I know people would like to see me talking about blast beats for hours but i think it would be very stupid to spend 2 hours explaining....a single stroke roll....cause this is what the blast beat is.
Blast Beats are really really easy to understand and everyone knows how to do it by watching a transcription or a quick example.The point is HOW to do it, HOW you get into it,HOW to make it groove and HOW you get it up there on these insane tempos............this is what people needs and this is my main point on the DVD.

I've been trudging my way through all the speed/endurance/coordination workouts you outlined, and they're definitely intense. A blast beat is really easy to understand, the best a DVD can do (which yours does) is give a good workout routine to build up the ability to go quickly. My calves are pretty pissed off at me right now, and I'm only going around 140-150bpm, haha!

hey George, u rock! But i have a few questions,
1. When you do the swivel technique on your pedals, are you doing double strokes, like a RRLL Pattern, or are you doing a straight RLRLRLRL?
2. Why do you need triggers? I saw on one of your videos that you said you cant play metal without triggers, why? Couldn't you just turn up the mic in your bass drums?
3. Do you use your fingers or wrists to play your crazy blasts? Cuz I tried using my fingers to control the sticks but i cant get enough velocity going.

Pretty sure for #2 there'd just be too much "mud" if you turned up the mics that high. There's simply no way to get the kind of attack that you'd get at slower speeds, which means with the volume cranked it'd sound less like a clearly delineated line of kicks and more like a wash with pulses.

yes, it will sound muddy. playing live death metal/heavy genres in 'loud' venues without at least a kick trigger is a bad idea imo. unless you don't care about how your band sounds, in which case feel free.

Yeah. Triggers are pretty much the standard for fast metal. Now George obviously rails against ABUSING triggers, but not using them at all ain't gonna work out.

Maybe a dumb question, but can you buy the DVD in the USA?

I only see listing for it in Europe. It's not on Amazon or Musicians Friend.

have you checked his website? although saying that i did get mine shipped to the EU.
http://www.georgekollias.com/order.htm

you can e-mail him man, he's got a contact on that page.

Yeah, I saw that, but there is no info for US shipping. I know I could just enter my cc and I'd get a bill in US dollars for what ever the exchange rate is, but it doesn't say worldwide shipping, and I know the extra fees of shipping overseas are sometimes quite a bit more.

Back