Tama Silverstar

Nitemare

I'm looking into Tama's new Silverstar line (I love everything Tama does) and I was wondering if anyone has them and how they feel compared to Tama's other lines and
And if you would recommend them, or if I should save up for Superstars? Thanks.

Nitemare. Don't worry about the 1.6 dude.. I've owned WAY too many kits with 1.6 on them... I hit very hard, and have never had any issues. You can switch to 2.3's or whatever for not much money if you have a 1.6 freakout.

Go find a guy that has serious problems with his Yamaha Recording Custom and the 1.6's they still put standard on them after all these decades.

Nitemare. Don't worry about the 1.6 dude.. I've owned WAY too many kits with 1.6 on them... I hit very hard, and have never had any issues. You can switch to 2.3's or whatever for not much money if you have a 1.6 freakout.

Go find a guy that has serious problems with his Yamaha Recording Custom and the 1.6's they still put standard on them after all these decades.

I know of two people personally that had issues with the Yamaha snare's 1.6 mm hoops they used on their Yamaha Recording Custom kits. Both individuals had hoops warped and distorted that had to be replaced. This happens mostly on the snare drum hoops and since Recording Customs don't really have dedicated snare drums, we can't really loop the entire kit together as one entity, because most of the problems stem around the high tensioning of the snare drum using the 1.6 mm hoops. I've also heard issues with some of their rack toms on the Recording Customs to a lesser degree.

There are countless problems with Pearl's ISS mounts hanging on their 1.6 mm hoops. The Tama Silverstars are just too new to the marketplace to hear of problems as yet, but we will.

So I actually found two.

Dennis

Last edited:
i love the silverstars.. they sound amazing! only con with them is 1.6mm triple flanged hoops - i've cracked these before...

I used to own a starclassic perfomer birch kit and HATED the die-cast hoops. I'll take "cheap" 1.6's any day for the sound. Way more "alive" to me.

I've owned Silverstars for the past 3 months or so. So far I love these drums. Compared to my old Maxwin set (a complete piece of crap), these sound wonderful. If you can give them a try at a local drum shops that would be ideal.

The finish on these drums is also excellent. Here are some pictures. They doesn't really do it justice, but you get the idea. BTW, I have yet to crack one of the 1.6mm rims :)

I used to own a starclassic perfomer birch kit and HATED the die-cast hoops. I'll take "cheap" 1.6's any day for the sound. Way more "alive" to me.

If you dislike die-cast hoops, why not just go for the better 2.3 mm triple flange hoops. Or you can always replace the 1.6 mm triple flange hoops with the 2.3 mm, when needed.

Dennis

It looks exactly like the set of Tama Silverstars I was checking out a couple of weeks ago and they were called "transparent blue burst". It's a lacquer finish and to me, they look a bit brighter in person.

Dennis

Why?
By looking at your name I thought you were into metal/hardcore stuff...

Lol my name is actually in reference to my favorite movie Nightmare Before Christmas. I'm in two metal bands, but I'm also in an indie mellow band, a gospel group, a classic rock band, and progressive art-rock band.

silverstars don't sound worse than superstars , just diffenrent, so try them.

I actually think that silverstars look much better than the superstars, and the 1,6mm hoops , have been standard in previous years and they have the most open sound ond complex sound of all hoops.

and the 1,6mm hoops , have been standard in previous years and they have the most open sound ond complex sound of all hoops.

Agreed. I remember the most open sounding kits I have owned had the 1.6. I've had 2 Yamaha Recording kits out of those, which I played HARD and toured with. NEVER a single problem.

Last edited:
I much prefer the sound of 1.6mm hoops on toms. They sound much more open and full compared to 2.3mm or die cast. Years of marketing hype have conditioned us to believe that thicker hoops are "better" but you really need to use your ears I think. Some drums sound better with thinner hoops.

Ive had my Silverstars since Feb. and Ive loved them from the start. I bought them after a Mapex mars series that i learned to play on and a roland vcustom electric kit. Ive been in the studio with them and played live with them also. I'd recomend them to anyone. Theyre great for the money.

Love that blue finish. At first I thought it was the Coral Reef Blue, like my Starclassics. Anyway, an incredible cost effective gigging kit.

Back