Tama Starclassic or Gretsch Catalina Maple

JohnnyThrash

Need some opinions.I have a Tama Starclassic in white silk. I dont really like the color, but the at least the kit sounds good. Obviously right! haha. Anyways I bought the Tama Starclassic a while back but im still not sure what kinda wood. Birch,Maple,Bubinga what?

Anyways the kit sounds good besides the look, but I feel like selling it and buying a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. It has more drums then again it is quality not quantity right? I also like how it looks more than the set I have, but Ive never actually heard the set. Ive heard it on youtube and it sounds good, and I have also heard alot of good reviews.

So in your guys opining... and girls which set is better. Should I keep the Tama Starclassic or go with the Gretsch.

ps: Though im not sure what kinda starclassic mine is im thinking its a Performer EFX or something like that because it saw that set on ebay and looks exactly like mine.

Okay, there's a lot to sort through here...

-You are right that what you have is a Starclassic Performer EFX. Those are birch shells. If you really like the sound of birch but feel compelled to get a different kit altogether, I'm not sure why you would be asking about a maple kit.

-You can buy additional toms for most kits currently in production. You might get a slightly better deal if you're buying them as part of an entire shell pack, but I don't think wanting an extra tom or two is the best reason to buy a whole new kit.

- If the finish is the only thing you don't like about your drums, there's a lot of info out there about re-finishing drums. I don't know how Tama applies its wraps, so I don't know how easy it would be to take it off, but if the kit you have is the sound you like the best, I think it's a little silly to sell it just so you can get one that looks better. Re-finishing is something you may want to look into.

-If you prefer the sound of the Gretsch, then by all means, make the switch!

Just my $0.02 ....

I'm well aquatinted with grestch catilinas, and they are great drums. Though actually, i think the gretsch renowns are of higher quality thank the catilinas, at least i think. But if you want more drums, i agree with getting individual add ons via tama. if you don't want to decide between they two, wait to go gretsch when you've got enough money to get a new kit without sacrificing the old one.

if you don't want to decide between they two, wait to go gretsch when you've got enough money to get a new kit without sacrificing the old one.

Good point. Starclassic Performers are excellent drums, and if you really like the sound of both, having one birch kit and one maple gives you even more options. (Of course, since I play on one myself, I'm a bit biased...)

Catalina Maple and Starclassic aren't really in the same league.

Gretsch is Asian maple, limited finish and size and target the entry to intermediate level players.

Tama Starclassic are made of North American maple while the Tama Performer are made of birch, both share cast hardware and their finish & size has a vast palette (the opposite of the Gretsch) and the Starclassic target intermediate to pro level players.

My honest & easy answer is keep the TAMA !!!

Thanks very much guys. I mean when i thought about it yeah, it is pretty dumb to buy a kit just cuz of looks. I mean I even stated it myself right quality not quantity hahaha. Im gonna keep the tama plus every since I can remember Ive always wanted a tama because of Dave Lombardo.... then again he switched to ddrum now hahaha.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS! Now does anyone know where I can get a new finish or a floor tom in white silk finish XD

The starclassic performer is actually birch and bubinga, hence its called the performer B/B, it has 3 inner plys of bubinga. :) the tamas build quality is ALOT higher than the gretsch too.

I got rid of my Gretsch Catalina birch drums (06-07 spec) for a set of 08 Starclassic performers. There was no comparison. The Catalinas are great drums for the money, but the Tamas were definitely worth the price too. They were sick.

The starclassic performer is actually birch and bubinga, hence its called the performer B/B, it has 3 inner plys of bubinga. :) the tamas build quality is ALOT higher than the gretsch too.

Actually, no. At one time, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and cavemen were discovering fire, Tama produced the Starclassic line in birch and it was known as the Performer. Starclassic Performers with a special psychedelic style wrap were dubbed "EFX", such as the white silk. Eventually, Tama started producing Starclassic Maples (and phasing out the birch Performers) and then released Bubinga and Birch/Bubinga (also known as Performers... though usually referred to as Performer B/B, as it gets confusing).

All told, I'd probably keep the Starclassics.

Im looking at a starclassic birch kit,on creigslist,not sure how old looks mint,going to check them out.5 drums... has tom mount and the floor has legs,hes asking 800.opinions???

Im looking at a starclassic birch kit,on creigslist,not sure how old looks mint,going to check them out.5 drums... has tom mount and the floor has legs,hes asking 800.opinions???

Good price but I'd offer around $500-$600.

Back