Coated pinstripes or Coated g2s?

Henke90s

I will replace my stock heads on the toms on my kit soon, and i havent decided between the coated pinstripes or coated g2s. Ive tried the g2s and i kinda like the sound of them(i havent tried the coated pinstripes). I like a dark sound with some sustain. Theres been rumors going around that the g2s sound "plastic" but....whats your opinion? Is there a big difference between those two heads? by looking at the sound quality meters on both remo and evans sites there is not much difference but....question is if it is the same in real life.

I will replace my stock heads on the toms on my kit soon, and i havent decided between the coated pinstripes or coated g2s. Ive tried the g2s and i kinda like the sound of them(i havent tried the coated pinstripes).
If you like the sound of coated G2's, cool. They're one of the most popular heads on the market.​
I like a dark sound with some sustain. Theres been rumors going around that the g2s sound "plastic" but....whats your opinion?
Maybe the "clear" G2 might sound plastic, but certainly not the "coated". Most rumors are not worth listening to.​
by looking at the sound quality meters on both remo and evans sites there is not much difference but....question is if it is the same in real life.
Look again, close. In head design, they're worlds apart.​
Is there a big difference between those two heads?
Yes, the Pinstripe head has a ring that joins the 2 layers together. With the G2, the two layers are not attached. The Remo Emperor head is closest to the G2. Evans has the Hydraulic head, and the EC2, both of which are kinda similar to the Pinstripe, but then different enough to not be considered "the same".
The Evans HD (considered a snare head, made in 12, 13, 14 sizes only) makes for a wonderful batter for toms. Works great on my Yamaha Recording Customs, where my toms are 12x8 and 14x14. Just to confuse matters more. Then you have the Remo Powerstroke 3 and 4's. Something else to try out.​

If it is a dark sound with sustain, then the Pinstripes are not what you want. Pinstripes are designed to minimize sustain. If you like the coated G2's, give the Remo Vintage Emperors a try. To me, they are the perfect balance between a regular 2-ply head and a "pre-dampened" head like the EC2 or the Pinstripe.

If it is a dark sound with sustain, then the Pinstripes are not what you want. Pinstripes are designed to minimize sustain. If you like the coated G2's, give the Remo Vintage Emperors a try. To me, they are the perfect balance between a regular 2-ply head and a "pre-dampened" head like the EC2 or the Pinstripe.

But arent they very bright? my yamaha stock heads which i think is clear ambassadors are very bright.

Ambassadors/G1s are single ply and thus higher pitched. Emperor/G2/Pinstripe/EC2 are all double ply heads. Vintage Emps are Emperors that are made from thicker plys than the regular emperors, and only come in a coated finish. You get the sustain and body of an Emp or a G2 and a tiny bit of dampening from the thickness and the coating.

Ambassadors/G1s are single ply and thus higher pitched. Emperor/G2/Pinstripe/EC2 are all double ply heads. Vintage Emps are Emperors that are made from thicker plys than the regular emperors, and only come in a coated finish. You get the sustain and body of an Emp or a G2 and a tiny bit of dampening from the thickness and the coating.

Alright i got it. Thanks man.

the G2's are superb! i have tried pinstripes, ec2s and emporers, but i am now sticking with the Coated G2's - warm and sensitive, or lay into them and get a tremendous boom! just great heads, perfect for rock imho, good luck

Back