Need help Diagnosing problem......

jitsu

Have an Alesis DM5 pro set. Was really fed up with Hi hat problems so I decided to replace the Alesis pedal with a Roland FD-8. Logic was get better pedal with greater response option and problem resolved......WRONG! Got my roland pedal in today and hooked it up and got no response when I attempted to use it. Checked that connections were right. Changed out the connection cable just in case with no luck. Was told this pedal would be compatible. Any ideas to fix this?

first. whats wrong with the original pedal. how can a hi-hat pedal for an electric kit go wrong?(just curious)
and second. if the old pedal worked and this one doesn't maybe its just not compatible?

first. whats wrong with the original pedal. how can a hi-hat pedal for an electric kit go wrong?(just curious)
and second. if the old pedal worked and this one doesn't maybe its just not compatible?

The original pedal had problems with consistant switching. The Roland apparently has greater dynamics.

I have a friend with a DM5 kit which also has hi-hat issues. The pedal plays open when closed, closed when open, and clips constantly. I wonder now if it might not be a setting that is apparently easy to futz up inadvertently on the brain, rather than a pedal issue. With my limited knowledge of electronic drums, I wasn't able to fix it, but then again I didn't spend much time on the issue.

Perhaps contact an electrician? or a computer programmer, because thats wat the elec drums are basically, a computer.

As for the roland not working on the dm5... this could be compatibility issue... meaning check to make sure the roland pedal actually works on the dm5.
also, the way an alesis handles hi-hat pedal is through 2 different methods... Switch and Pedal. there is a variable resistance method (pedal) and an on/off method (switch). You may have to change over to the other method of handling the pedal. In the trigger menu you should have a "hat pedal type" menu... if it is on "switch" change it to "pedal" and then you'll have to change the "hat threshold" to set the threshold for open/closed.
The prob with electronic hi-hats, at least for alesis is that, even with a variable resistor pedal you still only have open and closed... you just set the point (threshold) where the hi-hats should be considered open. this doesn't work as well as a real hi-hat that can have a near-infinite number of pedal positions which drastically alter the sound produced.

I have a friend with a DM5 kit which also has hi-hat issues. The pedal plays open when closed, closed when open, and clips constantly. I wonder now if it might not be a setting that is apparently easy to futz up inadvertently on the brain, rather than a pedal issue. With my limited knowledge of electronic drums, I wasn't able to fix it, but then again I didn't spend much time on the issue.

My dmpro does this... what happens is when you turn it on and have the pedal down it will invert the pedal position.. make sure you're not pushing down on the pedal when you turn it on ;) So if that happens just turn it off take the foot off the pedal and reboot.

Back