Any differences between yamaha 700/800 hi hat stands?

dat yeti

I have been very interested in getting a good quality light weight hi hat stand. I love yamaha hardware as well and frankly, they are not too badly priced. I have been looking at these two hi hat stands, 800 and 700, and cannot find a difference other than the 800 having two double braced legs.

If the stands are the exact same minus two double braced legs, then the 700 without a doubt is a better bang for your buck, but there has to be something else other than a pound of metal that makes the difference.

Has anyone owned these two or seen the 800 in person? I've played the 700 several times and like it a lot but would like to change the footboard angle a little bit. Nobody in town really carries yamaha hardware besides guitar center.

I have the 700 and really like it. It even handles my 17" hi-hats really well. I don't think double-braced legs make any difference in this case. But maybe Yamaha created the 800-series so people can get double braced stuff without shelling out the $$$ for 900-series stuff?

ALL the hat stands Yamaha offered back in the day had single braced legs, and the 700 back then I had always worked great. I'm talking early to mid-80's.
Late 80's (maybe as early as '86) is when they started the 800 with double braced that looked like everything else. The 900 stuff was/is a big, heavy tripod. Works awesome, but it's heavy. Even the 900 hat stand back then had single braced legs.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't worry about the single braced legs.

I never had to think about my Yamaha hardware. I stopped using it after they changed the tilter though. The new design (what you could get from that point on) just didn't work as well for me (I don't dig any brands offset tilters really). I didn't like the look of the change either.
The other stuff always worked great, and I'd say their quality now is just as good.

Thanks guys. I totally agree with what you said. I must not have been clear and was hoping somebody might have pointed this out. I'll try to post pictures of it but if you type in both hi hat stands on google you'll notice that there is a slight difference on the tension adjuster.

The 800 has what looks like a small lever or switch above the tension adjuster while the 700 has just the tension adjuster. I like the 700 a lot but would like to change the foot board angle if possible and that's why I'm thinking about the 800. They should be similar weight overall anyways.

I got off the phone with drumcenterNH and they had both in stock and told me they that the stands are the exact same minus the legs. They both have the same exact adjuster and that the pictures I've seen must be old or a different model so go figure. Thanks for the help though.

Back