13 or 14 rack with 16 floor?

blastbeatkeeper

Hello, all. I have a gig coming up this Saturday, and its in a small place, and Im not dragging my whole 6pc kit and rack setup out, mainly because Im not going to have room for it. So Im gonna bring a small 4pc setup with a crash(maybe 2), china(or not) and ride. The thing Im running into is what tom to bring, my 13" or my 14". They are both mounted, and Im going to be using my 16" floor tom, as well. I do have a practice tonight(Tuesday) to run thru our setlist, so I will be trying out both of them. What one would you bring? Thanks in advance!

With only a 16 floor, you will get more tones across a wider range of the spectrum.

I agree with everyone.

My favorite setup is a 13x9 and 16x16
snare and bass

Another vote for 13. If I run a 14 rack, in a one up, one down situation, I match a 18 floor to it. I match a 12 or 13 rack, to a 16 floor. And if I'm running a 14 floor, I use a 12 rack.​

be daring...and run an experiment....just try the gig with your floor tom, save even more space, and labour.

13" or 14" toms sound very nice with 16" floor toms. If it was me, I would be reaching for the 13 just because you'll have greater separation between the two drums.

Actually if it was me, I would take both and change them out on breaks, then you'll know for sure the next time.

Dennis

Back