Drum Shells

AidanM

Hi, Was considering getting a custom build kit, but I'm not too sure the differences in sound you get between Acrylic, Birch and Maple. I know Acrylic shells are pretty neat, but I'd rather sound than looks to be honest, any help guys? Cheers.

( If so what do they sound like )

Hi, Was considering getting a custom build kit, but I'm not too sure the differences in sound you get between Acrylic, Birch and Maple. I know Acrylic shells are pretty neat, but I'd rather sound than looks to be honest, any help guys? Cheers.

I'm genuinely not trying to be a smart ass here - really. If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be considering a custom built kit. Go with a kit that a well regarded manufacturer has designed to offer a sound palate suitable for your playing circumstances. The only reason to go custom, & especially as you say sound is your most important consideration, is if you can't get what you want with a defined series kit. Frankly, ready manufactured drums will cover 99% of all sonic requirements.

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm genuinely not trying to be a smart ass here - really. If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be considering a custom built kit. Go with a kit that a well regarded manufacturer has designed to offer a sound palate suitable for your playing circumstances. The only reason to go custom, & especially as you say sound is your most important consideration, is if you can't get what you want with a defined series kit. Frankly, ready manufactured drums will cover 99% of all sonic requirements.

Welcome to the forum :)

Agreed. If you buy custom it is because you have one specific sound and look you want. Go play some birch and maple sets and then later on figure out the perfect sound for a set. You will probably find a perfect set for you by one of the major drum companies and get a nice set at a better price.

Agreed.The only time to buy a custom kit is when just about everything out there is not the sound you're looking for,and your skill level.

Also consider that when buying custom,for the most part...it's a kit you buy for life.The resale value of most custom kits, pales in comparison to the original purchase price.You'd be lucky to recoupe 30% in most cases.

Stick with mainstream large manufactures,who back up their products,or buy used which will give you more bang for the buck.

Steve B

Last edited:

Maple/birch a general overview.

Acylic

'Custom' built kit can mean a lot of things and you certainly don't need a degree in drumology to consider getting one. And yes you can have both, sound and looks.

When I said looks I meant I don't care if it is acrylic or maple/birch.

I don't have a local drum shop so that's why I was asking the sound of the different types of shells, And I don't want to spend thousands on a kit that isn't the way I would like it to look.

Should have mentioned that in the original post. My bad.

When I said looks I meant I don't care if it is acrylic or maple/birch.

I don't have a local drum shop so that's why I was asking the sound of the different types of shells, And I don't want to spend thousands on a kit that isn't the way I would like it to look.

Should have mentioned that in the original post. My bad.

Your question seemed clear enough and no need to apologize, the general population here usually isn't that assuming, and most of the time understanding.

The 'search' option here can be a great resource, tho fresh opinions can shed new light on an old subject and usually do.

Back