Gavin Harrison here!

Hi NeuroAxis,

And btw, if you recognize the china it's an 18" Z Custom, which you are one of the only pros I know of that uses one despite the fact that it's the Best China Ever!

Good use of an override in 6/8 - one I've used myself many times....and the china sounds just right to me.

Hi Joe P,

I have 2 questions... Firstly, why do you use the Sonor Bass Resonant Head? I ask this because many pro drummers like to replace the bass reso head. Is it because Sonor has good stock bass heads?

It's a good Remo head.

Also, how do you tune your bass drum? Tension-wise and in comparison to the batter and resonant heads [do you tune one higher than the other?]

I would say they are about the same tension - but there's a heavy pillow in there so it's not easy to hear any difference in tuning.

Hi dairyairman,

saw that you were voted #1 progressive drummer in their 2008 reader's poll

Thanks - it got mentioned here a few months back when some folks in the industry already knew about it (including myself). I'm of course very happy - and suprised that I got it again!!

Hi Prozakc,

So, what advice would you give me, at "tuning time" ... and what are the "secrets" of your sound, meaning techniques for licking ( I saw you using bass drum "tunnels" on a couple of videos), miking techniques in general, Muffling secrets, and editing/post-production tips and everything about your sound and the techniques you use for it, at studio and gigs.

Do you mean techniques for miking? Also I don't remember using bass drum "tunnels" on any videos - which videos are you referring to?. If you make a search on this thread you will find a lot of information how I tune, mic the drums, head choice and mufffle etc.

Is there any chance for us to be seeing you touring South America with KC, or it´s absolutely out of the question ? ..

At the moment there are no plans for KC to tour South America...and I'm not the person who would decide where we tour either. KC information usually comes from www.dgmlive.com

Cheers
Gavin

Do you mean techniques for miking? Also I don't remember using bass drum "tunnels" on any videos - which videos are you referring to?.

Cheers
Gavin

Yes, I mean Techniques for Miking ( like, in what direction do you point every mik ?).

There is this one video of "Making of Deadwing "
I thought seeing a "Bass Drum Tunnel" ...
But you`re right, is not a tunnel, it´s just the "acoustic wall" that you have on your recording room ( what are they made of ?).

Thank You so much for the answers again !!! ...

Love your playing !!.

Dear Mr. Harrison,

I just would like to express my great admiration for being such a massive influence. I realize you probably get my sort of words a lot but still I would like to get it out of my chest now that I have the opportunity to do so.

You sure have redefined the rules for a superb musical and percussive approach to the art of drumming. Your creativity, precision and control over the drums on the other hand is simply mind boggling. For me you are at the top of a very short list of living drum gods&legends.

Thank you again for being a massive influence.

Hi Prozakc,

Yes, I mean Techniques for Miking ( like, in what direction do you point every mik ?).

If you watch this video you will see how each mic is angled at the drums.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrisonfutile.html

But you`re right, is not a tunnel, it´s just the "acoustic wall" that you have on your recording room ( what are they made of ?).

They are sound baffles that are very common in many recording studios.

cheers
Gavin

Hello Sir,

like they say....desperate times call for desperate measures
i know porcupine tree is never going to come to India for a show so i have convinced my family into going on a vacation to Scotland and England
hopefully i will be able to catch your gig on the 19th of october :), if things go as planned

what i would like to know is
is the show confirmed ?
what are the chances of cancellations (i wouldnt want to go alllllll the way for a no show)
and how do i go about buying tickets for the show (porcupinetree.com ???)

answers would be greatly appreciated as a lot of the trip planning is based on the above questions

cheers
(hope this works out)

Hi drumbumhamza,

hopefully i will be able to catch your gig on the 19th of october :), if things go as planned, what i would like to know is - is the show confirmed ?

Yes it is and a lot of tickets have already been sold.

what are the chances of cancellations (i wouldnt want to go alllllll the way for a no show)
and how do i go about buying tickets for the show (porcupinetree.com ???)

Unless something happens that we can't predict - I would say that the show will go ahead. I don't believe PT.com are selling the tickets. I don't actually know where to get the tickets. Have you searched the venue (O2/Indigo) website? Good luck.

cheers
Gavin

Hello again,

think i found it
you have to book through ticketmaster
somehow the VIP kings row tickets arent available
im guessing those arent valid for this show ?
thanks for the info :)

(question to anyone who has been to the Indigo2 venue in London)
standing front row is as close as one gets to the stage right ?
i really cant make out from those charts

anyway way i hope to see you at the gig :)

Hi Gavin,
first of all I would like to say that I'm a HUGE fan of both your drumming and PT's music. I discovered you guys about a year ago through the Arriving Somewhere DVD and have been hooked ever since.

Just one question - do you know if there are plans for any more UK dates this Autumn?
If not I guess I'll see you at the London show. Kinda lucky as the age limit for the venue is 16 and I turn 16 just 2 days before. Yay!

Really good stuff Gavin,
I have discover you with PT and I have hear here and there of your books Rhythmic Perspectives and Rhythmic Illusions.

Do you think that there is some exercises / concepts that can eventually be interesting for a 2 years old drummer or it's for advanced ones only ?

Thanks !
Hope seeing PT live in Canada one day.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Gavin!!!

According to Wikipedia, todays your birthday, so please accept our congratulations!

May God bless you with a long healthy full of music life!

Be sure that you´re an inspiration to many people, not just drummers, and your music touches the life of us all in a positive way.

I have a 6 year-old son learning drums and I constantly play him your music and your videos. (Your constant use of those bell-like cymbals is very appealing to these young kids - talking about the 05Ric project)

Thanks a lot for the great music you´re blessed us so far, thanks specially for the books, videos and for the time you put into this forum. We all know you have a very busy schedulle and so we are very grateful for your effort to help us improve our love for the instrument.

Hope you have a nice musical day!!

mabhz

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Gavin!

Congratulations on another year full of music and inspiration and a wish of many more to come!

God bless ya, take care!

Hi master Gavin!!

A big big big Happy Birthday!! from Rome, from my heart and my great estimate for you!!

Best wishes teacher!! :)

I really hope see you in italy.. for any occasion :)

Good music and good work!!

>.<

Fabio.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
rlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrl (drum roll)

sorry im a bit late....lets blame it on the time zone difference :p

Back