DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 03-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Default beginner looking for learning plan/approach suggestion...

my first post/question (see below)

background: I'm a newbie drummer, at 56. Been a guitar player for 40+ years. Bought my first kit (used) a few weeks ago with a knowledgeable friend assisting on choosing a kit. The seller was a drum instructor who gave me a page of sheet music with 12 different 4/4 beats (all with backbeats) with 1/8 notes. I've also been teaching myself some 6/8 beats from a YT vid, and a couple of Reggae beats. Been practicing about 2 hours everyday and have been pleasantly surprised how quickly I can pick up a new beat. I only know a couple of basic 1/8 note fills, and I play with a metronome almost the entire time.

I'm enjoying what I've been doing, but want some sort of plan/approach to work through to make sure I'm covering the facets I should/could be working on. I enjoy woodshedding and 'doing the work' to be a solid, disciplined player, regardless of depth of skill.

I realize I can watch YT vids all day long, but what would you suggest for a plan/approach to cover all the elements a beginner wanting to work at their own pace could follow? I did a couple basic searches, and browsed the first 20 pages of this forum, but didn't find what I was looking for. I'll gladly take a link to an existing thread already exploring this topic.

For reasons of time and money, I'd like to go the self-taught route for atleast the first few months.

Thank you in advance,

Fretsalot/Scott
Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 PM

Default Re: beginner looking for learning plan/approach suggestion...

Hi!

I think the answers you're going to receive, based on many other similar questions that have been asked here, are:

1) Play with others as much as possible - this will bring out things that are distinctly yours (as opposed to taught). It's WAY more enjoyable that practicing alone and there is simply no substitute for playing as a group rather than as an individual. You can play guitar alone, but you can't really play drums alone in a meaningful way.

2) Record your practicing (alone or with others). The playback is often painful but it will immediately reveal weaknesses for you to address.

3) Get a book on rudiments, or find them online. These will improve your playing and give you a facility with the sticks that benefits everything else you do. They're not an end in themselves for most of us, but a means to the end of improved playing.

4) Practice with a metronome to develop your sense of time.

5) Take lessons from a good teacher. This can advance your playing far faster than you'll do on your own.

Enjoy!!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretsalot View Post
The seller was a drum instructor who gave me a page of sheet music with 12 different 4/4 beats (all with backbeats) with 1/8 notes. I've also been teaching myself some 6/8 beats from a YT vid, and a couple of Reggae beats. Been practicing about 2 hours everyday and have been pleasantly surprised how quickly I can pick up a new beat. I only know a couple of basic 1/8 note fills, and I play with a metronome almost the entire time.

to make sure I'm covering the facets I should/could be working on. I enjoy woodshedding and 'doing the work' to be a solid, disciplined player, regardless of depth of skill.

Learning beats, etc. (includes all you are doing) is OK but itīs kind of "softcore" learning approach for hobby players, the analogy in guitar would be something like learning to play popular songs not understanding the harmony, how to solo, etc. ("copy my hand", "look at this TAB", etc), trying to be "a fireplace guitar player" instead of Pat Metheny, John Scofield or other serious players...a completly hobby player...
Old 03-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

You'll want some lessons for the technique and rudimental side of things.

That sheet you have you'll want to add new ostinatos to those same bass drum patterns like.

- Quarters
- Sixteenths
- Off beat 8ths

Move over to the ride and play just 2 & 4 on the hats along with the snare first and move on to constant quarters.

Next step would be to read a bass drum part instead of a fixed one.

Doing this stuff solid should be quite a bit of work. You're never really done.

Reggae is a good beat to get started with for other stuff. Bossa Nova, Beguine and some Samba patterns after that.

Don't forget your shuffle and swing.

Playing with others develops the entire musical skillset as I'm sure you know as a long time guitar player. There are a few play-a-long book packages that are nice to have, though. They'll have you put some milage on the kit and work on the the one most imporant thing.

"Survival Guide For the Modern Drummer" by Jim Riley

"Ultimate play-a-long Vol.1 and 2." by Dave Weckl

Groove Essentials 1.0 and 2.0 by Tommy Igoe.

I use these a ton with my students. The tracks are great, but the stylistic instruction leaves a bit to be desired. That's more of a teacher's job, to give the right info, history etc.. in suitable doses.

Take your time.

My own approach is really to work on a style and keep a log for it. Focusing, feel, sound, focus and then slowly add to it at a tempo where I don't loose the important musical part. This is how I organize my students' folders as well. It's divided in the areas I fin antural to divide things in and then there are endless modules to add on what each one. Once they can do the most important basic required of a drummer it's more up to them what they want to focus on specifically.

As with any other instrument it's a lot of work to develop good feel and sound and that should always be the main concern.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretsalot View Post
but want some sort of plan/approach to work through to make sure I'm covering the facets I should/could be working on. I enjoy woodshedding and 'doing the work' to be a solid, disciplined player, regardless of depth of skill.

I realize I can watch YT vids all day long, but what would you suggest for a plan/approach to cover all the elements a beginner wanting to work at their own pace could follow? I did a couple basic searches, and browsed the first 20 pages of this forum, but didn't find what I was looking for. I'll gladly take a link to an existing thread already exploring this topic.
You're basically asking: how can receive the instruction and content that lessons provide, in printed form, from a free internet forum?

We can recommend books and/or online programs, but those aren't free. I usually teach from 4 or 5 different books at once, depending on skill level and musical goals. And no online video or book can correct poor technique, or recommend coordination exercises that specifically target your particular needs. There is no "one super awesome drum book that goes from beginner to intermediate". There are snare drum books, books that focus on coordination, books that focus on sight-reading, books that focus on a particular style, etc. There are online lesson packages that attempt to do everything, but they are not tailor-made for you.

You have lots of experience on guitar -- maybe you can trade lessons with a drummer friend? Not sure what sort of guitar player you are either. Can you read sight-read rhythms well?
Old 03-16-2019, 04:12 PM

thank you for the replies... lots to consider.

Fretsalot/Scott
Old 03-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

A few things to do regardless of if you use YouTube, Drumeo, Mike's Lessons, A teacher etc.

Always use a metronome.
Play to music and play solo
Video yourself, even on your phone and watch back. (it's humbling)
Have fun
Learn the basics first
Learn some rudiments if you want to have some good fills/grooves.
Work on ghost notes, Keep them very low and quiet to make the accents pop.
Spend some time on a practice pad with a metronome.

A big thing is to have a plan. Set reasonable goals, I always play to a click and record or log the BPM at an exercise I can play TIGHT. I'll set a goal for a few BPM higher and slowly work my way up 1-2 bpm a day, (more or less if it comes easy or not) When I practice I split my time up into rudiments/independence, some fills/patterns, some grooves, and finally play to some music on spotify or youtube to actually apply it to music.

When you start online instructors or an in person instructor is a great resource to help. Even just a few lessons to get a plan. You can try a few teachers and find out who helps the most.

Learn drum music/notation if you can too. It makes learning much easier.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 PM

The big key here is formulating a consistent, regular, realistic and sustainable practice routine.

For me, I do an hour and a half a day.

I break up my routine in sections.......

Technique on the kit applying 4 basic rudiments

Single stroke rolls
Double stroke rolls
Single parradiddles
Triplets

I do one of these per day for half an hour.

The next day I then focus on the next one and so on.

After the 4th day I repeat.

I play a skeleton groove for several bars and the incorporate the concept as a fill, added groove or whatever. I play them slowly and get them as accurate as possible. I use a metronome too.

I break them up and do 5 mins leading with my right hand, then 5 mins leading with my left hand.

Then 5 mins leading with my right foot and 5 mins leading with my left foot (I play double pedal) but you could use hihat and bass drum instead. I then do combo's between the hands and feet leading right and left as the same as the others.

After that I do "creative kit work" and work out of Mike Johnston's Linear drumming by utilising one pattern across the kit doing voice displacement and voice substitution......I get some great ideas.

Then I work from "Groove Essentials" for 20 mins. I don't move from a groove until it's perfect for me.

Then I work on songs that the band needs to get done for 10 mins.

That makes it 70 minutes.

In the evening after shower, dinner etc.....I get on my club kit which is my practice kit and work through the rudiments from Rick Lathams' "Contemporary Drumset Techniques" for half and hour then I do RRR LLL triplets for 10 minutes as fast as I can.

I think it's about repetition but giving yourself some kind of variety so you don't get totally bored. Repetition increases the production of myelin that coats the nerves that supply the various muscle groups required for certain drumming motions.