DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 03-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Default New tune.. Footage from the studio session

Hey, hope everyone's well. Had a bit of studio time recently for a workshop for trainee sound engineers in London and we did it as a kind of live lounge session and videoed it. I invited some musician friends and wrote a tune for septet at very short notice to get the ball rolling - went for a jazzy/afrobeat kind of thing, here's what we came out with, it was really fun :) there's another tune too so hopefully that will be finished soon.

https://youtu.be/vUVJvbgFUTM

Caroline
Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New tune.. Footage from the studio session

That has a vibe that reminds me of one of the standards. Of course I can't think of the song name at the moment.

Great, rather precise playing! Was there a click?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds awesome. I don't know why but it reminds me of a Steely Dan jazzy/Lettuce funky hybrid for some reason-grooves like crazy though and I love your drumming.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Very nice. Beyond the music and your obvious talent, unlike so many others you don't appear to be stiff and mechanical while playing. Well done.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:46 PM

I'm impressed with the music degree foremost, since the majority of us here, correct me if I'm wrong, are non-professional players/enthusiasts. Not many of us have access to a studio and pro players to be creative. We have to resort to USB interfaces, playalong mp3s, DAWs, basically a mini-recording engineer feat. And all the post processing to get a video feed ontop of it all.

That said, nice playing. Hope you will stick around and participate in some of the technical discussions going on here, particularly recent discussions on what groove is and how to make that happen with a bass player. You probably have some insights that many of us here would appreciate hearing.

Rhumbagirl
PS. I felt the groove kept it's momentum because you and the bassist were in unison from the & of 3 to 1 every measure.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:24 PM

Thanks for listening. There wasn't a click Dr_Watso, we didn't really have time for that - just a couple of run throughs then we hit record and hoped for the best as the pianist needed to catch a train. Thanks GetAgrippa - I'd been listening to some Roy Hargrove and also rehearsing with an afrobeat band before writing it so think those were the main inspirations, but you never know what's going to come out and I'd happily settle for a Steely Dan jazzy/Lettuce funky hybrid lol

Quote:
you don't appear to be stiff and mechanical while playing
Thanks GruntersDad.. not sure what to say on that, haha I just enjoy playing drums! I also play timpani and find I move around a lot with that when the music gets intense... which is pretty weird really in a classical orchestra!

Hey rhumbagirl, this was done at a sound engineering college - they regularly need bands to record to train their students so it's definitely worth giving local colleges a shout if you have music you'd like to record, they have great facilities and need reliable musicians to participate in their workshops. For the bass/drums/groove aspect, it's good to just find as many people to play with as possible - keep joining bands and listen to (and dance to!) different styles of music.. It's a never ending and very fun journey.

Cheers,
Caroline
Old 03-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Administrator

You know I'm a fan :)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

If there wasn't a click, and you sounded like there might have been, I'd call that success.

Cheers.